OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 12:46

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2018, 01:10 
Super User

Hi folks,

Gionis is great at Modern Defence with the Korbel blade, I've got my hands on a Japan version myself.

How does it compare to the JSH blade in terms of a modern defence game?

For attacking, defending, short game, speed etc etc can someone please compare the two?

Would a FL3 1.1 work on a Korbel?

Thanks

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2018, 01:44 
Super User

Blade: Diode V ST
FH: V>22 Max
BH: Curl P1V 1.0
ridderz65 wrote:
Hi folks,

Gionis is great at Modern Defence with the Korbel blade, I've got my hands on a Japan version myself.

For attacking, defending, short game, speed etc etc can someone please compare the two?

Thanks

In terms of their speed, the two are pretty much identical. If you look at the Butterfly chart, they are literally next to each other. That and the fact that both are 5ply wood is where all the similarities end. Korbel is a 158x152 offensive all-wood blade which is meant for looping more than anything. Joo on the other hand is an oversize all+/off- with a much larger sweet spot and it's also at least ~10g heavier. When assembled it is pretty head heavy compared to the Korbel. Once you get used to that, it's hard to switch. After using JSH for some time I have a hard time looping with a normal OFF blade.

I tried Korbel a couple years ago. Back then I played with a P1r and I simply couldn't control the combo. On the Joo, as you probably know, P1r is the most popular LP choice. This was a while back and I am actually playing with a FL3 clone now, so who knows what it would feel like now.

To answer your question, yes, it will work but it really depends on your level of play. My guess is if you are usatt 1900+ you would probably be okay. Joo would be a much safer choice IMHO.

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2018, 01:54 
Super User

notfound123 wrote:
ridderz65 wrote:
Hi folks,

Thanks

In terms of their speed, the two are pretty much identical. If you look at the Butterfly chart, they are literally next to each other. That and the fact that both are 5ply wood is where all the similarities end. Korbel is a 158x152 offensive all-wood blade which is meant for looping more than anything. Joo on the other hand is an oversize all+/off- with a much larger sweet spot and it's also at least ~10g heavier. When assembled it is pretty head heavy compared to the Korbel. Once you get used to that, it's hard to switch. After using JSH for some time I have a hard time looping with a normal OFF blade.

I tried Korbel a couple years ago. Back then I played with a P1r and I simply couldn't control the combo. On the Joo, as you probably know, P1r is the most popular LP choice. This was a while back and I am actually playing with a FL3 clone now, so who knows what it would feel like now.

To answer your question, yes, it will work but it really depends on your level of play. My guess is if you are usatt 1900+ you would probably be okay. Joo would be a much safer choice IMHO.

I have to say the only reason I wanted to try the korbel was because I'm so impressed with gionis play. He uses it well. I also thought it may help me in the forehand attacking department, also hoping it would still be as good for chopping at the same time.
I've used the JSH for 3/4 years now, so perhaps it would be difficult to adjust and leave it behind.
I don't chop much on my forehand unless I'm out of position and I twiddle and chop back with my LP. I tend to chop backhand and fish/attack forehand.

The blade I'm using probably suits my game to a tee. I've just been intrigued by the korbel for a while. I even got a 98g one and it's only 2g lighter than my JSH.

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2018, 02:18 
Super User

Blade: Diode V ST
FH: V>22 Max
BH: Curl P1V 1.0
ridderz65 wrote:
notfound123 wrote:
ridderz65 wrote:
Hi folks,

Thanks

I have to say the only reason I wanted to try the korbel was because I'm so impressed with gionis play. He uses it well. I also thought it may help me in the forehand attacking department, also hoping it would still be as good for chopping at the same time.
I've used the JSH for 3/4 years now, so perhaps it would be difficult to adjust and leave it behind.
I don't chop much on my forehand unless I'm out of position and I twiddle and chop back with my LP. I tend to chop backhand and fish/attack forehand.

The blade I'm using probably suits my game to a tee. I've just been intrigued by the korbel for a while. I even got a 98g one and it's only 2g lighter than my JSH.

I've been toying with the same idea for some time too. I don't chop on the FH either. However if you BH chop rather than just block, Joo will be much more superior in terms of control simply because of its oversize shape.

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2018, 13:30 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Neither does Gionis, by the way. Or at least not very much.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2018, 21:35 
Super User

iskandar taib wrote:
Neither does Gionis, by the way. Or at least not very much.

Iskandar

Do you mean chop forehand? He never does!