OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 16:31

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: XIOM Amadeus Review
PostPosted: 10 Jun 2008, 03:04 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto

The Amadeus is one of three of the Xiom's Novus Swedish series. They said that the wood construction of this blade is designed by the same person who designed Clipper Wood.

The 7 ply blade is made of Kiso Hinoki – Limba - Ayous - Ayous - Ayous – Limba - Kiso Hinoki at 6.2-6.3mm thickness.

The made and finishing of the blade is superb and very smooth. The only flaw I see is the cut on the logo on the handle is not very straight, but it's a very minuscule overlook.

If I were to rate it on the finishing/make of the blade, I would rate it at 99% (-1% for the finishing of the logo area).

The head is of compact size, the size according to Xiom's specification are: 152.5x148.5 while the handle are 100x34x24 for the FL (which I have). First thing I noticed when holding it was how nice and comfortable it is on my hand. The handle is wide and thick enough, about as good as my Hurricane blades FL handles. It's certainly wider and thicker than the Korbel FL & Wavestone FL handles which I also have. The head is about the same as my Wavestone blade.

The weight quoted for me is 89.5g but when I weighed it using my dad's weight for his medicines, it weighed at 90.2g. Close enough to the quoted weight.

The Amadues is rough on the sides of the head. I think partly because it's manufactured in Sweden. It's rough like Stiga blades, but unlike Stiga blades, there are no visible out of place wood grain or what-you-call-it small pieces of wood that aren't being fully sanded down. The Amadeus's roughness is visible but not like because of poor production steps but seems like it's done/left that way. You'll see the difference when you look at the close-up pictures of the side of the blades comparing the Amadeus with the Ignito.

I've been playing with this blade for about two weeks. Took me longer because the time spent wasn't quality times. When I was good stamina wise, only lower levels players were available to play with. And when there were same and higher level players around, I was too tired and stressed out because of works and the likes. The rubbers I put on the blade are: Hurricane 3 Provincial 39 degree and Sriver EL Maximum (like the Korbel setup). The H3P felt medium hard on the blade while the EL felt soft (too soft for my liking). I then switched the EL to Prasidha Tokyo 2, so they are the same rubbers as I have on the Hurricane King setup. I think the blade is better matched with medium to hard rubbers. EL is too soft for me, Tokyo 2 and Hurricane 3 Provincial 39 degree feels fine for me. But this is a matter of preference and habits I guess...

Okay, here's the very concise summary: I feel that the Amadeus is just about better than the Ignito I reviewed before on all aspects. If I were to choose one between the two, I would choose Amadeus right away. The Ignito is faster, and the fast loop kill I enjoyed doing with it, while it really impressed me, on all other factors, I think the Amadeus is better overall.(Read: better for my playing style.)

Now, here are the preliminary/first impressions I have on the blade:

First times I hit with it, I'm impressed with the good feel and the power of the blade. I feel that it's more powerful than the Ignito. I could go back farther away from the table and am not afraid of not getting the ball over the net. I don't even have to hit as hard as I could with it to land the ball on the other side.

The blade feels sharp/crisp (Ignito felt milder) while providing good amount of dwell time for me to impart good amount of spin on the ball. I feel the blade has higher throw than Ignito, lower throw than HK.

It's faster than my HK and somehow I feel that it generates less spin due to fastness and lightness feel of the blade overall. I used it once while training with my coach and when I told him that I feel I was generating less spin on the FH loops, my coach said that it's very spinny already. Maybe just my feeling that I could generate more spin on the HK. I feel more spin on the HK because of the longer dwell time on the HK and also the heft/substance feel I'm getting on the HK instead of the Amadeus. Also, I have to close the blade more while doing heavy/fast loops so that the ball doesn't go over the table. Same while blocking.

The Amadeus is actually heavier than my HK by a few grams despite of its smaller head size. This because of it's 7 plies blade compare to 5 plies of HK. But in play, it feels lighter and I could move faster with it than the HK. I still can't do fast loops with the HK. I mean, compared to Ignito and Amadeus, my fast loop kills using the HK is behind on speed (but I still feel more spin on the HK).

Amadeus vibrates less than HK and Korbel. After playing with Ignito, Amadeus, and HK, I feel that my Korbel vibration to be a bit too much and I'm disliking it a little bit more now.

Blocks are effortless, just a good amount of bounce. Bouncier than Ignito, but not hard to make short plays with it. I don't have problem on the shortplay with it. Shorter dwell time means less spin on the the chops on the table, but nothing to write home about. Chops away from the table is better on getting the spin due to the bigger and more powerful strokes.

I usually don't smash on FH, so I don't know how it does altering between loops and smashes. The few smashes on FH I did were good. Not blazing fast of course with the Hurricane rubber, but enough to win the point. I smash on the BH and even with soft sponge rubber like EL/Tokyo 2 (I feel the rubbers much softer on this blade than when I use the rubbers on Korbel), when I smash, it generates good speed and power. More than enough to make the kill.

Control is very good. I could make all kind of FH loops with ease and great placement all over the table. I'm now learning to do loops on the BH as well and when I used it on one of my training sessions I did better on my BH loops than with my HK. I mean, I have more percentage of IN balls while using it compared to my HK. The light feel helps because doing multi-balls training with the HK, my arm gets tired sooner and the stability of BH loops is effected. Partly because my muscle for the BH loops are not strong/trained enough just yet.

I'm having a hard time believing that the Amadeus is an All+ blade as specified by XIOM. I feel that it's faster and more powerful to be in the All+ category. I think Amadeus is faster and more powerful than the HK and the HK is not in any of the Allround categories.

I switched sides and used the Tokyo 2 on the FH and it felt great. Things are going faster, much faster, but still with great amount of control. I think for those playing with both Japanese/Eropean rubbers will be satisfied with the amount of speed and control of this blade. This is even without gluing.
For those who haven't played with Tokyo 2 rubber, I think it's somewhat similar with Bryce Speed FX on speed and spin ( I feel spinier for Tokyo 2). Less bouncy on the short play and better control over all.

Now, before you start accusing me of giving glowing reviews on XIOM blades, please bear in mind that the Ignito was my first XIOM blades to try and also my first expanded review so I might be a bit overzealous. Playing with the Amadeus I'm getting a slightly different feel. With Ignito I feel it's too light and I have to be on the aggressive and very light on my feet. I'm working on my footworks to be more agile and active, but I'm not there yet. Thus I like the stability of my HK the best for now. I don't feel like I have to rush, and I don't have to exert more energy on shots. Also, I play a bit away from the table while the Ignito excels closer to the table. Amadeus is between the two so I feel better playing with it than the Ignito.

Overall I'm more at ease and comfortable playing with this compared to the Ignito.

Well, that's it for now.
Comments and questions are welcome. I'm holding the blade a few more days for questions and answers. Meanwhile, I'm sending Aria, Fuga, and Jazz to Peter tomorrow morning so he can get started with them. I'll be sending the Ignito & Amadeus at the end of the week to him.

Post subject: Re: XIOM Amadeus Review
PostPosted: 10 Jun 2008, 03:06 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

P.S.

I played with it again tonight. I would like to say again that it's a powerful blade. I was playing with a smasher and I was receiving his smashes about 4-5m back of the table. I just hit it back toward the table with moderate power, not too hard, and the ball lands on his side of the table just fine. No lacking or shortage there. I also fast loop his smashes back about 3m off the table and it lands about the middle of of his table and curved to his right beautifully. This was using about 85-90% of hitting power, I didn't even hit it full power. But I was doing these while using the Tokyo 2 on the FH. I might need to add more power if I use the H3P due to its tackiness.

Was playing with a hybrid (inverted with long pips) as well. I could do fast loop with the H3P and about 80% of the loops he blocked ended up off the table on my side of the table. So I guess, the spin I generated really is heavier than I feel I made (see my comment above somewhere in the middle about feeling less spin). Also tried with Tokyo 2 on the FH and had similar result. Tokyo 2 being faster also made it more difficult for him to block.

I was playing with reversed rubbers for half of the night, using Tokyo 2 on FH and H3P on BH. I could say that control for both sides were just as good. This would give me added variety in varying amount of spin on serves and chops and also varying speed on the FH hits and loops. Good stuff!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Jun 2008, 08:07 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Very nice review (again!) :lol: Love your pictures!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Jun 2008, 12:36 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

haggisv wrote:
Very nice review (again!) :lol: Love your pictures!

Thanks! Glad you like 'em.

I took photos of them all at the same time so they're going to look all the same after awhile...

To much effort to re-shoot them at the moment. (Read: too lazy to do something for the shoot preps)... :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Jun 2008, 21:57 
I am Legend
I am Legend

were you going to review the aria/fuga/jazz or let peter do it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jun 2008, 02:14 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Silver wrote:
were you going to review the aria/fuga/jazz or let peter do it?

I'll do mine and he'll do his. Actually he already did. Over at mytt you can see a thread for all three in one thread.

I'm going to do mine for each one still and cross-referenced his review as well.

The idea is for him to try all of them as well. Still haven't sent Ignito & Amadeus to him though. I'll sent them tomorrow morning, he'll get it in 2 days. By weekend you should be able to read his opinion on Ignito & Amadeus as well.

He's more experienced so he could play and review much quicker. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jun 2008, 04:41 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Great review Rok. How do you compare it to the HK? Sounds more powerful again?

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jun 2008, 13:03 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:

Hi, Reb.

Not "again", Ignito is not more powerful than HK. Hehehe...

I kinda subtly put the comparison with HK in the review. It's hard to limit myself to compare it with just the Korbel. I put the comparison with Ignito as well.

The Amadeus has a good feel to it. It allows me to play faster and more aggresive compared to the HK, although not faster nor more aggresive than Ignito (for close to the table play). It's subjective of course, because one could also play aggresive with the HK. But somehow I feel (for me) that the kind of aggresiveness with HK is somewhat slower in pace compared to Amadeus (and Ignito as well). I'm working on the aggresive part on my training.

And the Amadeus has the power for behind the table play, much farther back than Ignito so I like it better cause then I could play more comfortably like I do with HK.

Have a little problem with on the table/short play because of the bounciness/faster speed of Amadeus compared to HK. But if I stick with it and play for a little longer I'm sure I could adapt to it with a short amount of time. This one has the potential of me liking it more when I have more time playing with it. The Ignito has less of that potential for me, just because I think it suits close to the table play more than what I do right now. I'm trying to play closer to the table and have made some progress in that department, but still go farther back out of habit and comfort zone, especially under pressures. Hehehe...

But, for now, I'm going to stay with HK for the comfortable pace it gives me, the good feel when looping (the heft, for lack of better word), and the good (not too bouncy) short play on the table.

For its price, locally, about 2/3 of HK (or less), Amadeus is a really good contender. And if you are not a slow poke like me, I'm sure you'll find it to be better than the HK for less the price.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jun 2008, 13:07 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

Rokpish, I'm currently admiring the great pictures. Great review, great pictures, great job! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jun 2008, 15:19 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
rokphish2 wrote:
RebornTTEvnglist wrote:

Hi, Reb.

Not "again", Ignito is not more powerful than HK. Hehehe...

I kinda subtly put the comparison with HK in the review. It's hard to limit myself to compare it with just the Korbel. I put the comparison with Ignito as well.

Hi Rok,
Sorry mate, I was real tired when I read this and I did miss the subtle comparison. I re-read and found them now. Wow less vibration than the HK must leave it feeling like a "Rok" lol (excuse the pun). I don't find all that much vibration in my HK. Feels much more solid than any other blades I've tried! Wanna send it to Peter via Australia? :lol: :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jun 2008, 16:59 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

@Yuzuki, thanks man, glad you like it... Like I said earlier I did the photos of all the blades at the same time so it's going to look boring from now on. I'll try to get some preps done and reshoot the remaining three blades to give it a more varying photos.... Don't hold your breath though... :oops:

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
Wanna send it to Peter via Australia? :lol: :lol:

Hhhhhmmm...... Sending might be a problem.... Well, if you want, if you know any trust able person coming to indonesia (surabaya in particular), i might be able to lend the blades (all 5 kinds) to you via your friend. Then we'll have traveling blades for the australian forum members. Whoever wants to give it a try just pay for the shipping charge to the next person...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jun 2008, 22:17 

Great review! Thanks, rokphish2.

By the way, do you like the handle very much? :D
It is the result of my effort for two years. (I don't remember if I already mentioned the same thing in this forum or not.)

The goal of my research is the most comfortable handle for modern table tennis. Of course I think it can't satisfy all of table tennis players. But, the majority of players will enjoy my handle if they once adopt to it. :wink:

I don't design the construction of Amadeus. But, I designed the whole shape of it. So I like this blade very much.

I should mention about one more thing about Amadeus. It takes very long time to produce Amadeus. The treatment of wood is more sophisticated than that for 1-ply hinoki wood. (The details are top-secret.) That is the reason why this blade has special feel.

There is one more review (by me) :

http://cafe.daum.net/hhtabletennis/3Xo7/8

I wrote this review with pre-production sample of Amadeus. So, there are some places to be corrected. Especially speed level should be raised. The Speed Measure of Amadeus is OFF-. (Not ALL+).

Personal Blade : XIOM ARIA FL
Rubber (F) : Tibhar Numbus VIP (MAX)
Rubber (B) : Tibhar Nimbus Medium (MAX)
Glue : I don't use speed glue.
-- Temporary equipment for testing --

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Jun 2008, 03:02 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Hi there!

Yes I like the FL handle. It fits my hand very nicely. So far it gives my hand one callous spot. Very good considering that the worse handle I've ever used gave me 5 callous spots.

After playing with it, the HK handle feels small. But still very good and feel good with the distinct flare. The FL of Amadeus and the other blades, the bottom part (the flare part) is not too wide/flared. This is good or bad depends on the preference/habit.

Actually, Peter told me that he didn't like the handles for the Aria, Fuga, and Jazz I sent him. I sent him a couple of ST, and 1 FL, and he didn't like them, especially the ST. I sent him the Amadeus & Ignito yesterday, so he should get them by tomorrow.

I haven't played with the ST just yet, so I can't say. For the FL, second only to my HK/HWL or about as nice as those two.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Jun 2008, 02:08 

Among Aria, Fuga and Jazz. I prefer Jazz because it has more compact head size.
But after trying Amadeus, I like it better than Jazz. It has more consistent feel, because Jazz construction is more flexible.
Although I can feel the vibration when I hit the ball without rubber on the blade, but when I put the rubber on, the vibration seems disappear a lot.
Compared to H-king which has the most feel, then Violin, followed by Acoustic among wood blades.
I put H3P 39 deg and Solcion on Amadeus, the rubber is cut on bigger head size, after putting it on, the blade feel balanced, not head heavy or handle heavy.
Looping with amadeus is very good, very consistent. The speed is slower than acoustic a bit. Blocking is very easy and consistent.
A good alternative choice all wood blades with good control and decent speed playing close to table.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Jun 2008, 08:16 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
peter79 wrote:
Among Aria, Fuga and Jazz. I prefer Jazz because it has more compact head size.
But after trying Amadeus, I like it better than Jazz. It has more consistent feel, because Jazz construction is more flexible.
Although I can feel the vibration when I hit the ball without rubber on the blade, but when I put the rubber on, the vibration seems disappear a lot.
Compared to H-king which has the most feel, then Violin, followed by Acoustic among wood blades.
I put H3P 39 deg and Solcion on Amadeus, the rubber is cut on bigger head size, after putting it on, the blade feel balanced, not head heavy or handle heavy.
Looping with amadeus is very good, very consistent. The speed is slower than acoustic a bit. Blocking is very easy and consistent.
A good alternative choice all wood blades with good control and decent speed playing close to table.

Wow, very detailed analysis Peter, impressive!

Do you have any idea what it is that gives the h-king the most feel? There appears to be very little information on this...

Cheers!