OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 14:44

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: 29 Sep 2018, 21:55 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Omega VII Euro 2mm
BH: Spinlord Orkan 1.5mm
Bulldog wrote:
No. I used FXP on the advice of Bribar Table Tennis. Only had one match so far so difficult to say if it is the correct decision.
Bulldog

Thanks Bulldog. Aurus select is probably similar to the Armstrong SH-1 that Dusty is using on his B&W so will probably be fine.

ELP is a quite a lively rubber with high catapult so from your feedback the blade clearly is very linear with good control, unlike say the faster TSP balsa blades.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2018, 21:57 
Super User

FH: Armstrong SH-I 1.8
BH: S&T Hellfire X OX
I've just bought a second B&W so I can keep one as my main blade and experiment with rubbers a bit on the other. Obviously I like this blade a lot.

One minor drawback that I’ve noticed- chopping on my FH from mid distance seems a little less stable and controlled. I guess this is no surprise given that my previous blade (Firestarter) was slightly larger, heavier and slower. I think I can adjust in time. In addition, it encourages me to attack more on my FH which is how I win most of my points and is what I should be doing anyway.

Last edited by Dusty054 on 30 Sep 2018, 11:56, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2018, 22:34 
Super User

Blade: Victas Matsushita
FH: Joola Dynaryz ZGR
BH: Tibhar Grass DTecS
The one thing I can say for certain is that the blade has great control. Excellent for long pip blocking. Very short and aided reversal. The guys I beat with it the other night described wobble and also were mistiming their attacking shots.
Bulldog

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2018, 19:45 
Super User

Just ordered the B&W from Bribar Straight handle 66gm

Hope to get more control and linearity than my TSP balsa blades on the backhand as they can be too bouncy when blocking with thin sponge short/medium pips

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2018, 08:34 
Super User

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the B&W after you've used it.

ChasFox wrote:
Aurus select is probably similar to the Armstrong SH-1 that Dusty is using on his B&W so will probably be fine.

I'd like to try Aurus Select at some point. It's description does sound similar to SH-I.

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2018, 08:51 
Super User

Further encouraging results with B and W. Only one defeat this season to a player with a lower ranking than me and hardly started to get used to the blade yet!
Bulldog

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2018, 00:50 
Super User

Did either of you use sealer on your B&W blade if so what type and how many coats. The outer Plies seem quite soft so my thoughts are sealer is unlikely to be too detrimental to how it plays.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2018, 06:47 
Super User

Mine was supplied with rubbers on by Bribar so I am not sure.
Bulldog

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2018, 09:02 
Super User

I seal all of my blades since I figure it can never be too easy to remove rubbers. Two coats of water based sealer which are very thin and dry quickly. I can't imagine it would affect performance. The one I've got currently is Xiom I-Sure.

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2018, 22:31 
Super User

Well after a couple of training sessions with the Black & White and my usual rubbers it is a resounding thumbs up from me.

Ordered a 66gm straight handle version from Bribar and first stage was to seal it both sides with one thick coat of Xiom sealer and then reshape the quite thick handle to something close to a TSP anatomic. Then a new sheet of Aurus Select 1.9mm red on the FH and a used keiler 1.5mm black on the BH which immediately felt too soft so I switched it to a 1.2mm sheet from another blade.

The black & white is a very easy transition from my TSP balsa 4.0 and 4.5 blades being a similar weight and speed and of course both having balsa cores. The B&W has a softish feel and the FH with Aurus Select feels just right whether hitting soft or hard. The reduced catapult over the TSP blades gives improved control and placement with less flatterning out of topspin drives and enough speed for close to the table play at club level. Would probably rate the FH all to all+ and it could probably handle a faster rubber than Aurus Select maybe Tibhar ELS. Going thicker than 1.9 would probably reduce feel which I need for the short game.

The biggest gain for me is on the BH with thin sponge pimple out rubbers like Keiler 1.2mm where the blade outer ply hardness really affects how they play. The problem with TSP balsa blades with such rubbers is although the balsa core is soft and bouncy the outer fibre layer is quite hard on the newer versions which gives a rather inconsistent feel with the harder poly ball and thin sponge when trying to short block topspin. The B&W clearly has quite soft outer Plies on the BH as well as reduced speed which really works well with Keiler 1.2. and no doubt other thin sponge or even OX rubbers. I am getting more dwell spin and control than with my TSP blades allowing a much wider range of stokes and greater accuracy and consistency. The big sweet spot no doubt due to the carbon layers either side of the balsa core probably helps here giving a very consistent bounce.

So I can definitely recommend this blade to a club player looking for light high control blade suited for thin sponge pimples on the BH and an all-round to attacking game on the FH. A definite upgrade on TSP balsa blades with the poly ball and not as hard to use as fast balsa carbons such as the TSP trinity carbon or thick bouncy balsa blades like the Firewall plus. The nearest wood blade I have used to it in feel and pace is the Andro temper tech all+ but the slower BH on the B&W and better ball feel gives it the edge for me.

Last edited by ChasFox on 29 Oct 2018, 00:47, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2018, 10:04 
Super User

Glad it worked out. I’ve got a sheet of Select coming to try on my second B&W and compare with the SH-I. Although it’s 2.1 so I’ll have to take that into account.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2018, 21:05 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tsp Black Balsa 3.0
FH: t05 1.9 boosted
BH: 388d ox black
Composition?

? ? Carbon Balsa carbon ? ?

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2018, 00:58 
Super User

Sauer &Troga have not published what the outer veneers are made from but clearly on the softer side. Backhand veneers are thicker than FH..

Re speed S&T claim all on BH and All+ to Off- on FH but I would say more like all- and all to all+. Which is more in line with the Geblock TT you tube review.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2018, 02:15 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tsp Black Balsa 3.0
FH: t05 1.9 boosted
BH: 388d ox black
Ah,maybe the thicker wood on b/h provides more isolation from the carbon,have emailed Sauer/Troger to ask the composition, they have been helpful previously

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2018, 02:29 
Super User

hi Dazzler are you now back playing?

What interests you about the Black & White? Is your main blade still the BB 3.0

Let me know if you want to try it out. Also have the new Dr Neubauer Bloodhound which may suit ox LP better. Still in its box as I am liking the B&W

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next