OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 06:03

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2018, 18:35 
Super User

I've been trying a lot of blades recently and reading up on the technical aspects of materials/composition but haven't found the holy grail of short pip blades. Can any of you recommend a stiff, hard and most importantly linear but fast blade?

The classical thick all woods (7mm+ clipper and related blades) are sufficiently stiff, but somewhat soft feeling and lacks speed on lower gears (attacking short balls, flicks etc).

Alc/aramid carbons like Viscaria and Stradivarius are sufficiently hard, crisp, great on lower gears, but tend to be very thin and thus flexible. This is what I primarily use now, acceptable, but would prefer something stiffer.

Thick carbons like Schlager, Sardius, T1 etc are fast on all gears but compressional non-linearity is not a feeling a like. Too much trampoline. Despite stiff and fast, they almost feel rubbery/springy, gives the illusion of soft.

Tried thinner hinokis (too soft and slow). Haven't tried thicker ones like 1 ply or 7mm+ Darker/Xiom 7-plies, but suspect they would have the same issues with non-linearity as thick carbons. Please advise otherwise.

Has anyone looked for the same properties? Is there a stiffer/thicker Viscaria alternative? Is there a clipper alc? :rofl:

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2018, 20:48 
Super User

lasta wrote:
Thick carbons like Schlager, Sardius, T1 etc are fast on all gears but compressional non-linearity is not a feeling a like. Too much trampoline. Despite stiff and fast, they almost feel rubbery/springy, gives the illusion of soft.

That's very interesting. Is it true? If it's true then maybe one of the T series with more than two layers of carbon (to split up the behavior of the wood) would stop that, T-4 I think.

Last edited by Zhaoyang on 17 Oct 2018, 00:26, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2018, 21:42 
Super User

Blade: SOULSPIN DEFENSE
FH: Spinny stuff
BH: Spongeless reviled stuff
Best bet is looking for anti spin blades from dr neabauer or der materialspezialist.

I bought the matador texa recently, and it quite hard and stiff. It was slower than the garaydia blades I use though. I think the garaydia zlc is pretty good, but softer feeling.

I've used a ton of blades like 70+ and not found one exactly as you describe. My favorite for short pips alone is the tmo boll w7. It is rather hard. Great for smashing! The tmo boll t5000 is another option.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2018, 10:02 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

lasta wrote:
The classical thick all woods (7mm+ clipper and related blades) are sufficiently stiff, but somewhat soft feeling and lacks speed on lower gears (attacking short balls, flicks etc).

What about the Clippers with the hardwood faces? Mahogany, ebony, etc. They seem popular among the Chinese. And then there's the old style Chinese basswood blades - THOSE should be stiff and hard enough for anyone, they weigh a ton! :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2018, 00:14 
Super User

Has anyone tried Yasaka Ebony Carbon and Dynamax 17? I couldn't find thickness/composition for these. The Ebony looks like Clipper + Carbon, but I'm worried it might be too thin. Dynamax 17 looks promising, but there's almost no information.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2018, 00:22 
Super User

iskandar taib wrote:
lasta wrote:

What about the Clippers with the hardwood faces? Mahogany, ebony, etc. They seem popular among the Chinese. And then there's the old style Chinese basswood blades - THOSE should be stiff and hard enough for anyone, they weigh a ton! :lol:

Iskandar

BTW where can I find these hardwood clippers? Are you talking about the Clipper Rosewood? Is it 7mm+?

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2018, 01:26 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

lasta wrote:
iskandar taib wrote:
lasta wrote:

Iskandar

BTW where can I find these hardwood clippers? Are you talking about the Clipper Rosewood? Is it 7mm+?

If you want to go Stiga, they're usually labeled "NCTVII". Lots of clones, especially from Huarite.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2018, 03:27 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
Der Materialspezialist Revolution is very stiff and hard and linear, but not very fast (off -). It has a very low throw, especially conpared to Clipper. There is a Clipper CC that could be interesting. I use Stiga Carbonado, very nice feel, hard and stiff with great sweet spot and very good control for its speed. I have both 190 and 90.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2018, 04:15 

Blade: Nittaku ANV WN
FH: DHS 652 1,8 red
BH: Yinhe Pluto 1,0 black
The best short pip blades are the DHS 032 and 08, still new available. Weight between 90-115g. You must select.
I have some old DHS and Gold Cup blades 6 and 7ply.
The best is the 7ply Gold Cup. You can get for a few bucks, if you can find one.
I made the headsize smaller to normal Butterfly head and shortened the grip 0,5cm. Now it weighs 100g.
If you can deal with such a blade, this is the best blade for a offenive short pip play with tons of control and speed when you need.

Alex

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2018, 05:37 
Super User

Blade: Joola Xylo 7
FH: Battle 2 National 38
BH: Trick Anti
There were times when I used to play with SP. So i remember using Donic Cayman blade and it was superb for the short pips. I'm not sure it is fast enough for your consideration, but it felt stiff and hard and had enough speed.. but that was a long time ago :)

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2018, 06:40 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Armstrong SH-I 1.8
BH: S&T Hellfire X OX
What about an offensive version of one of those heat treated blades like the Donic Burn or Andro Temper Tech series.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2018, 10:20 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Or the Yinhe Bake. :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2018, 21:40 
Super User

Blade: Nittaku: Shake Defense
FH: Andro: Rasanter R48 1.7
BH: Spinlord: Leviathan 1A ox
The Soto Voce from rossleidy.com is a hard fast stiff linear all wood blade in the OFF range. It has great control, excellent for hitting, smashing, blocking and it even loops pretty good for a stiff blade. The best bit is it doesn’t have that muted/dead feeling that carbon blades have. Plus Ross Leidy is a nice guy who has awesome customer service.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2018, 22:17 

Blade: Tibhar E. Lebesson
FH: Xiom Vega Pro
BH: Xiom Vega Pro
v100ev wrote:
There were times when I used to play with SP. So i remember using Donic Cayman blade and it was superb for the short pips. I'm not sure it is fast enough for your consideration, but it felt stiff and hard and had enough speed.. but that was a long time ago :)
It has balsa, so it does not suit requirements. :)

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2018, 00:12 
Super User

I just tracked down a 7.5mm all wood Adidas C300. Assuming what I read on the internet is true :rofl: all else being equal, hardness and stiffness is exponential to thickness. Will report back once I get a hit next week. Hope a traditional 5-ply composition won't have the springy feel of hinoki.