OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:59

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2018, 00:26 
Super User

lasta wrote:
all else being equal, hardness and stiffness is exponential to thickness

Stiffness, but not hardness.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2018, 01:01 
Super User

Zhaoyang wrote:
lasta wrote:
all else being equal, hardness and stiffness is exponential to thickness

Stiffness, but not hardness.

I thought I discovered fire, now you just pissed on it :headbang:

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2018, 01:09 

Donic Carbospeed

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2018, 02:58 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

All this talk about Tibhar Burns and Yinhe Bakes makes me think I should look up those old threads about baking blades in ovens again.. since I've got LOTS of Sanwei M8s maybe I should throw one in the oven and see what happens. I can afford to ruin one or two.. :lol: (Wondering how to keep the lens from melting - maybe pop it out temporarily..)

Iskandar

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2018, 10:13 
Super User

Blade: SOULSPIN DEFENSE
FH: Spinny stuff
BH: Spongeless reviled stuff
If you're that set on one, rather than wasting money... why not just get a blade maker to craft one how you desire? Thick, stiff wood perhaps with some carbon layers put in.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2018, 12:48 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

The problem is.. custom blademakers don't have things that well calibrated either. I mean, OK, you design a blade with the requisite thickness and carbon layers, etc. And then it goes to the customer, the customer tries it.. and it's not stiff enough or TOO stiff or doesn't have enough "feeling", or whatever.. :lol: I suppose you can then get a second blade made - "make it a little stiffer", etc. Which would be an advantage over off-the-shelf blades. At least you can choose an exact handle size/shape and blade size/shape..

Iskandar

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2018, 13:16 
Super User

Soulspin in Germany will custom make just about anything for you. A d they already make blades for pro companies, ie donic. Production plus shipping is kind of slow, though. Over a month would not be uncommon

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2018, 14:08 
Super User

Tempting. A 7mm clipper with outer layer Koto and alc plus mahogany core. Too heavy?

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2018, 15:03 
Super User

lasta wrote:
Tempting. A 7mm clipper with outer layer Koto and alc plus mahogany core. Too heavy?

Use OX LP on one side? Even a 110 gram blade plus 35-45 for a sheet of short pips and maybe 20 for the OX side... Still around the 180s. Not unreasonable at all. Soulspin also offers a smaller than usual head size, so that could reduce weight.

Starting to sound like a soulspin marketer!! But their blades really are great, and they have tons of custom handle setups to choose from. Most comfortable ones I've ever held!

This thread has me tempted to have another made... something along the lines you're talking about. A short pips killer, but still good with anti on the BH

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2018, 00:45 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

skilless_slapper wrote:
Soulspin in Germany will custom make just about anything for you. A d they already make blades for pro companies, ie donic. Production plus shipping is kind of slow, though. Over a month would not be uncommon

Yeah, they do, but there's no guarantee that what they'll make for you is exactly what you're looking for, especially on the first try. I doubt they OEM blades for Donic, at least not the ones Donic sells by the thousands - those are probably mass-produced at that huge Swedish blade factory that also makes Stiga/Tibhar/Yasaka/etc. blades. They might make prototypes, though, or one-offs. Incidentally, Yinhe will custom-make you a blade, I came across it on their web site. So will Nittaku.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2018, 13:00 

my bet for stiga sense 7,6 or timo boll t5000. fast with control

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2018, 21:21 
Super User

dariowai wrote:
my bet for stiga sense 7,6 or timo boll t5000. fast with control

Hi, I'm glad the T5000 is working for you. Can you give a direct comparison to the ALC, spirit, viscaria, Stradivarius etc? Does the replacement of ALC with regular carbon make a huge difference to overall stiffness? I find these alcs to be sufficiently hard, but too flexible on hard impact.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2018, 21:29 

Blade: homemade
FH: 729FX SuperSoft
BH: 729FX SuperSoft
Interesting quest. This is the type of thread that I like.
The second blade I have made, was somehow inline to your quest: hard-stiff blade with (high) speed at all gears. The recipe was walnut-pine-abachi, but having ticker veneers, not the standard 0.5-0.6mm used in most of the blades. The weight center is about 3 cm above the handle tip, without rubbers. Tickness is/was ~7.1mm.
The problem i see with this design is that it went a bit heavy, it has around 105 grams. But this can be tackled a bit down to around 93-95 grams at the cost of making it a bit thin, at around 6.2 mm.

If I build you a prototype, would you test such a thing?

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2018, 21:55 
Super User

adyy wrote:
Interesting quest. This is the type of thread that I like.
The second blade I have made, was somehow inline to your quest: hard-stiff blade with (high) speed at all gears. The recipe was walnut-pine-abachi, but having ticker veneers, not the standard 0.5-0.6mm used in most of the blades. The weight center is about 3 cm above the handle tip, without rubbers. Tickness is/was ~7.1mm.
The problem i see with this design is that it went a bit heavy, it has around 105 grams. But this can be tackled a bit down to around 93-95 grams at the cost of making it a bit thin, at around 6.2 mm.

If I build you a prototype, would you test such a thing?

Sure, would be glad to. Can you accommodate Chinese penhold? That might shave 4-5g off the handle. How goes your other prototypes?

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2018, 22:52 

Blade: homemade
FH: 729FX SuperSoft
BH: 729FX SuperSoft
lasta wrote:
Sure, would be glad to. Can you accommodate Chinese penhold? That might shave 4-5g off the handle. How goes your other prototypes?

The other prototypes are WiP at different stages. I am doing some operations at home (moving stuff and setting up a working desk) and at work they terorize me.
Probably in a week I will resume work and finish them. Also some veneers are during delivery. I will update my thread with news/pictures.

Never built a CPEN till now, but as I see here: http://ospblades.com/table-tennis-handle-types/ this a short conical handle. Looks do-able. And yes, will shave around 4-7g off the handle.