OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 10:48

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Balsa rubbers
PostPosted: 19 Oct 2018, 19:17 

Blade: Joola Rossi Emotion
FH: DHS Hurricane III Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane III Neo
Hello. First time on this board. Would consider myself an intensely motivated noob from the UK. Hello.

I have been playing a Joola Rosskopf Emotion + Hurricane III Neo setup for a long time and that is the setup that keeps the balls on the table for me.

I am experimenting with different other setups on the side, one of which is the new Joola Air Fibre balsa blade. But I’m having a hard time finding info on balsa and wondering if you guys out there have suggestions for what rubbers to pair balsa blades with?

I play safe with Hurricanes on a carbon blade which truthfully is overkill for me. My coach suggests hard sponges on all-wood blades so now trying out T05 on Primorac which I could get used to one day I guess. All this to say, I’m open to experimentation but would love to hear from intermediate balsa users what preference you have...

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Balsa rubbers
PostPosted: 19 Oct 2018, 21:22 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence Alpha
FH: Donic Slice 40 CD 1.5 mm
BH: LKTStrgr+KokBLuJap 1.1 mm
HeathrowTerminal2 wrote:
Hello. First time on this board. Would consider myself an intensely motivated noob from the UK. Hello.

I have been playing a Joola Rosskopf Emotion + Hurricane III Neo setup for a long time and that is the setup that keeps the balls on the table for me.

I am experimenting with different other setups on the side, one of which is the new Joola Air Fibre balsa blade. But I’m having a hard time finding info on balsa and wondering if you guys out there have suggestions for what rubbers to pair balsa blades with?

I play safe with Hurricanes on a carbon blade which truthfully is overkill for me. My coach suggests hard sponges on all-wood blades so now trying out T05 on Primorac which I could get used to one day I guess. All this to say, I’m open to experimentation but would love to hear from intermediate balsa users what preference you have...

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The safest answer would be Your current rubbers. That's way, You could appreciate the difference with your own blade, and grasp what change should you pick. :)

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2018, 03:03 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

I agree with BeGo. My first balsa blade was a similar construction to yours, albeit a bit faster (Yasaka Synergy), and I find it difficult to use with euro style (soft, no tack) rubbers as well as with short pips. With chinese style, firm and a bit tacky rubbers (like Hurricane) it works a lot better. So if you really want to use that Joola Air Fibre, try the Hurricane III on it.

About the concept of "balsa rubbers": IMO there is no such thing.

There are huge differences between blades with balsa. My second balsa blade was a Re-Impact prototype which worked excellently with euro-style rubbers, and not at all with chinese style rubbers. This blade had no fiber reinforcement, and a huge balsa core (two parts, 6+9mm thick) making the overall thickness around 20 mm (yep, that was just the blade, no rubbers). Looked weird but was the best blade I have had. After a tournament a few years ago it disappeared somehow...

I have had a few other balsa blades, with and without fiber (carbon, fiberglass) reinforcement. They are all different. Some work well with pips, others don't. Some are geared to a particular type of sponge, others work with "anything".

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2018, 10:11 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

One thing that's come out of the many posts about ReImpact blades is to use slightly thinner sponge (2.0 or 1.8mm instead of Max).

Iskandar