OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 20:53

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: TSP Blockman II blade
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2018, 18:54 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
We just got the TSP Blockman II blade in the shop... we've been trying to order it from TSP for a while but it never seemed to be available.

This blade is really slow, and should work very well for a close-in push & blocker style game. It absorbs the pace off the ball very well, and not through vibration like some of the other defensive blades do (like Toxic 3), but the wood seems to absorb the pace, although I can still feel more vibration than a balsa blade. It looks like it's a little less than 7mm thick. I does not look it has any balsa in it.
It's also quite light, the one I checked was only 73. Quality is high, it's made in Japan.

I would suggest it would work well with a OX LP like Dtecs (since the blade is so slow it should be controllable) or an anti or thin inverted on the backhand, and a fast & spinny rubber (or fast short pimple) for forehand, for good contrast.

Attachments:
tsp_blockman_ii_blade.jpg
tsp_blockman_ii_blade.jpg [ 108.96 KiB | Viewed 5714 times ]

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2018, 07:57 
My Precious

FH: Joola Golden Tango
BH: Tibhar Dtecs OX
Very interesting blade which could help my game :^) :?:

See the ball, be the ball...

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2018, 06:34 

Blade: Stiga Hypertech 35/45
FH: Nittaku G-1 Max
BH: Butterfy SuperAnti 2.0 mm
It's designed for blocking with long pips apparently - originally was a CP version only. And this is the 2nd version, adjusted for the plastic ball (a bit thicker, etc.). I just got mine from Amazon Japan. Standard 80g+-, mine is 83g, thickness is 6.5mm. Size is pretty standard 158mm x 153mm. Superb finish (Made in Japan), zero sharp edges when I grip it. I tried it with Nittaku Goriki Kaisoku Max rubber on the forehand and Butterfly SuperAnti 2.2mm on the backhand. I didn't have much hope it would work well with the Anti as it's supposedly on the softer side, but it does and does it greatly! The same anti on other blades (Stiga Hypertech, BTY SK carbon) was much faster and felt 'too grippy', but on the Blockman II it got much slower, and the reversal was suddenly there too. Most of all, it excelled in keeping the serve return short, as well as blocking short and low. At the same time, the SuperAnti having a few more gears up its sleeve than the frictionless anti rubbers, it's also great for chopping as well as controlled at hitting underspin or higher bounce balls. But again, this blade boosted my confidence in blocking a lot, and quite effective with the reversal too. On the forehand, the Goriki Kaisoku rubber being a bit unusual by itself (designed by the guy who came up with the Goriki blade series at Nittaku, supposed to feel and play like half-inverted, half-short pips), was able to do very spinny serves, and great touch for drop shots and pushes. A bit on the slower side as a combo though counter hitting and blocking felt good. I will try the blade with MX-P and G-1 these days, just so I can understand it better, and to see if looping with get better. Likewise, I will try the Goriki Kaisoku rubber on my standard blade of 10 years (Stiga Hypertech), so I know how it fares to the tensor rubbers.
To re-cap, I expected vibration and the softness of the blade to negatively affect the combo with the SuperAnti, but it did not. It plays as if it is a stiff slow blade, keeping the blocks low and short. 8)

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2018, 13:37 
My Precious

FH: Joola Golden Tango
BH: Tibhar Dtecs OX
"univesse", Consider the Joola Golden Tango 1.8 for your FH it work brilliantly on my TSP Trinity Carbon so I reckon it would also do well on your blockman.

See the ball, be the ball...

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2019, 01:40 

Gollum wrote:
"univesse", Consider the Joola Golden Tango 1.8 for your FH it work brilliantly on my TSP Trinity Carbon so I reckon it would also do well on your blockman.

I had not seen your response, gotta check my settings.. The Trinity Carbon seems much faster than the Blockman II (which is rated Slow+). Anyhow, I did try the Blockman II with MX-P and G-1 and the verdict was that I seem to run out of energy and slack on attacking which is never a good thing. I.e., it's a bit slow for looping. I've used Off- blades for some 25 years (Primorac OFF- and Stiga Hypertech) so I'm used to hitting hard to get the ball going but the Blockman is still too slow for my forehand, and have a hard time swinging through 2200+ US rated players. I still like it but it's currently on my Ebay :)

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2020, 19:51 

What is the blade composition? At least the top ply?

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2023, 14:07 

Vladojica wrote:
What is the blade composition? At least the top ply?

Sorry, just seeing this now.. looks like I had not logged in for a while.
The top layer is Ayous, and the core layer is cedar.
I still have the blade and will try it out again one of these days~

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2023, 15:02 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I've just started using this blade, I really like it! Works well with Dtecs OX on the backhand and Victas 401 on forehand.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2023, 05:57 
Super User

Is this blade still available

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2023, 07:23 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

No, it was discontinued a few years ago, although some suppliers might still have some.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2023, 07:26 
Super User

Can’t find one anywhere

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2023, 13:04 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
Just saw one a few days ago while browsing online here in China. Not sure whether it’s Block Man 1 or 2, but certain it’s TSP Block Man.

Post subject: TSP Blockman II blade
PostPosted: 16 Nov 2023, 13:06 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

haggisv wrote:
I've just started using this blade, I really like it! Works well with Dtecs OX on the backhand and Victas 401 on forehand.
Have you tried the first one, Block Man (1)? Is it any different?

How slow is the Block Man 2? Compared to other blades?

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2023, 13:10 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

rokphish2 wrote:
haggisv wrote:

No I never tried the original one.

For attacking this blade is not that slow at all, probably off- to off. It's definitely faster than my Trinity carbon.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2023, 14:04 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

haggisv wrote:
rokphish2 wrote:
haggisv wrote:

No I never tried the original one.

For attacking this blade is not that slow at all, probably off- to off. It's definitely faster than my Trinity carbon.
Have you tried Versal?