OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 30 Mar 2024, 16:41

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2018, 12:48 

Blade: Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH: DHS PF4 40+
BH: Yinhe Mars II Soft
Please review DHS PG 5 and suggest any same specs and price range. Thanks in advance..

Attachments:
dhs-power-g-5-pg5.jpg
dhs-power-g-5-pg5.jpg [ 16.91 KiB | Viewed 3938 times ]

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2018, 02:49 

bayt wrote:
Please review DHS PG 5 and suggest any same specs and price range. Thanks in advance..

The first, chosing a blade depends on your style. If you play with forehand mostly, you can chose PG5. I am playing with PG5, it 's so hard and vibrate. it has a heavy head, the handle is so small, and not comfortalbe for me - my style is close to the table and all forehand and backhand. Maybe i will chose another blade :)

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2018, 18:45 

M.Hoang wrote:
bayt wrote:

The first, chosing a blade depends on your style. If you play with forehand mostly, you can chose PG5. I am playing with PG5, it 's so hard and vibrate. it has a heavy head, the handle is so small, and not comfortalbe for me - my style is close to the table and all forehand and backhand. Maybe i will chose another blade :)

How long you've been playing with PG-5, does the top ply was factory sealed? or it's okay not to sealed this blade?

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2018, 23:31 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
Seal all blades (all models from all brands) for piece of mind and safety. One or two thin layers would do.

Instagram: rokphishtt

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2018, 23:45 

rokphish2 wrote:
Seal all blades (all models from all brands) for piece of mind and safety. One or two thin layers would do.

Thanks for the advise. Do you have any experience with this blade?

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2018, 01:34 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Do you mind something cheaper (a LOT cheaper)? :lol:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/SANWEI- ... 01460.html

Wait 15 hours or so and get another 50 cents off.. :lol:

Yes, this is a serious recommendation - there are several people here who've bought these blades and I haven't heard anything bad about them yet. Other than they're too cheap to be any good... but that's from people who have NOT tried one yet... :lol: Considering the price - get one anyway even if you decide to get something else too.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2018, 10:30 
Super User

iskandar taib wrote:
Do you mind something cheaper (a LOT cheaper)? :lol:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/SANWEI- ... 01460.html

Wait 15 hours or so and get another 50 cents off.. :lol:

Yes, this is a serious recommendation - there are several people here who've bought these blades and I haven't heard anything bad about them yet. Other than they're too cheap to be any good... but that's from people who have NOT tried one yet... :lol: Considering the price - get one anyway even if you decide to get something else too.

Iskandar

Are you an M8 salesman? :lol:

With all the "short clip" praises, maybe you should do an indepth review!

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2018, 12:58 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I'm not really good at in-depth reviews. Suffice to say I've tried - and own - a number of blades (including some fairly expensive ones) and I like the M8 the best. It's about the right speed (I can very comfortably block hard balls and chop, as well as produce very hard flat hits), it has excellent feel for looping, and I can push and serve short when I need to.

I do tend to like light blades, anything over about 82-83 grams is too heavy, which is why I haven't tried those expensive arylate-carbon blades yet (those all seem to be north of 87 grams) so I can't make a comparison.

All I can say is, it's so cheap there's really no reason not to try one. :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2018, 21:03 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

bayt wrote:
rokphish2 wrote:

Bought it, did some ball bounce on it, took photo of it. Still has it somewhere in the house...

FB2 and H301 are better with not too much price difference.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2018, 21:19 

rokphish2 wrote:
bayt wrote:
rokphish2 wrote:

Bought it, did some ball bounce on it, took photo of it. Still has it somewhere in the house...

FB2 and H301 are better with not too much price difference.

For tight budget, can you say that this good alternative for FB2 and H301 or there something else you can recommend that much better? thanks..

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2018, 10:51 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

How much is tight budget?

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2018, 22:18 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Matsushita Pro
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Dawei 388D-1
Certainly I would agree that the FB2 is a much better blade than the apparently similar PG5 (it's not anything like as close as the PG7, which is a very capable blade, is to the more expensive versions of the "clipper" DHS blades). The 301 is even better IMHO, but has a koto outer, so not strictly the same as the limba faced PG5.

It's a matter of finesse; the PG5 seems like a one-trick-pony, and doesn't allow so much for variation in touch, spin, speed etc. I am of course talking from knowledge of one sample of each blade, so there may be sample variation and I got a bad one. But the FB2 is available for less than twice the price of the PG5 (actually only $12 more on PROTT), and I think it is worth every penny of the difference.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2018, 02:32 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

darucla wrote:
It's a matter of finesse; the PG5 seems like a one-trick-pony, and doesn't allow so much for variation in touch, spin, speed etc.

I'm trying to imagine this. Wouldn't a soft shot always go slower than a hard shot? Or do you mean the blade only allows, say, hard shots while softer shots always end up in the net? Surely it's a matter of technique rather than the blade itself? I do acknowledge that there are some blades which are too fast - even soft shots will come off it fairly fast, and you're forced to moderate your hard shots so that you don't miss the table - is this what you mean? The N11, which I used to use, was great over the table for pushes and serves, but I was never able to chop back hard topspin drives or even fast serves with it. Blocking very fast drives also took a lot of finesse. Switching the M8, which is slower, allowed much easier blocking, and I am able to chop back hard topspin drives with it (not loops, though!).

Iskandar

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2018, 15:01 

[/quote]For tight budget, can you say that this good alternative for FB2 and H301 or there something else you can recommend that much better? thanks..[/quote]
you can bought a second-hand blade for low price. I am regretting for PG5, maybe i will sell it...

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2018, 21:10 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Matsushita Pro
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Dawei 388D-1
iskandar taib wrote:

I'm trying to imagine this. Wouldn't a soft shot always go slower than a hard shot? Or do you mean the blade only allows, say, hard shots while softer shots always end up in the net? Surely it's a matter of technique rather than the blade itself? I do acknowledge that there are some blades which are too fast - even soft shots will come off it fairly fast, and you're forced to moderate your hard shots so that you don't miss the table - is this what you mean? The N11, which I used to use, was great over the table for pushes and serves, but I was never able to chop back hard topspin drives or even fast serves with it. Blocking very fast drives also took a lot of finesse. Switching the M8, which is slower, allowed much easier blocking, and I am able to chop back hard topspin drives with it (not loops, though!).

Iskandar

What I found with the PG5, and I should stress this was my personal feeling with one blade and without a lot of practice with it, was that if I wanted to stand slightly back from the table and whack the ball, I could do it. OK, some would miss the table, but I can hit a series of fast forehand drives with some success. However, if in the midst of a rally, I tried something more subtle, like just touching the ball over the net to catch out the opponent or a little wrist action to change the spin, I would often lose the point. Finding the blocking angle/strength was more difficult also. This is more in match play than practice of course. Also, FH drive fine, FH loop less so. I needed a lot more effort to put the topspin on. I played a much more basic game. By comparison, I am using the H301 with Loki GTX Pro on both sides, and I feel that it encourages me to be creative. I feel I can do the little tricksy shots, with change of pace, lots of spin, deceptive placement, from almost anywhere on the table, as well as the more attacking shots. Nowhere near perfect, of course, but I feel that I am getting towards playing the game I want to.

A lot of this is in the head, so YMMV, as usual. I am sure that if I had only the PG5, I would learn the correct technique and master it to the best of my ability. But I'm not getting any younger.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!