OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:16

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2018, 04:39 
Super User

Hi guys,

Please can someone compare the TSP black balsa 3.0 and then TSP balsa 3.5?

I'd like to know which would work best for a modern defence game with both OX pips and sponge pips. I'm having to change to a lighter set up as I have a chronic rotator cuff injury. My really heavy Joo se hyuk blade set up just constantly irritates the injury.

So I've looked at these two balsa blades and I use tenergy on my forehand and a modern defence type game with chopping. I want to try ox pips and sponge pips on the balsa blade but I don't know which one to choose.

Can you please give me some side by side comparisons of the two blades and reviews if you've used either of them.

I know it will be much different to my joo blade but I think it's for the best.

Thanks

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2018, 08:22 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tsp Black Balsa 3.0
FH: t05 1.9 boosted
BH: 388d ox black
Currently using Black Balsa 3.0 I have also used the 3.5.Previously.
bb3.0 is slower ,best control I`ve seen with lp ox or 0.5 lp,needs a fast rubber onf/h I have t05 boosted 1.7 sponge and looking for faster with same spin but less dwell,the flex on the blade can catch you out on hard topspins sometimes and becomes nonlinear,however the best player in Leeds is using this with detecs ox and was top of the averages last season should be in top 200 uk at least.
I would compare the speed of the 3.5 as similar to Defplay Senso with a slightly harder feel which gives better reversal with ox lp,there is a kick from the balsa combined with the flex which I didn`t like so didn't use extensively,the control is less compared to bb3.0,if you value control for ox chopping bb3 is much better imo ,best I`ve seen with polyball
Lastly fast forehand rubber doesn't seem to affect the ox lp on bb3,there is no speeding up of the lp phenomenom which I saw with the Defplay senso must be the glassfibre that negates this

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2018, 08:53 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: GRUBBA
FH: RAYSTORM
BH: BEST ANTI
https://tabletennis-point.com/tsp-balsa ... nsief.html
i have this one.I think the 3 took over from it.Its for sale or id swap it for something.
i like the defplay for ox dtecs

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2018, 18:40 
Super User

dazzler wrote:
Currently using Black Balsa 3.0 I have also used the 3.5.Previously.
bb3.0 is slower ,best control I`ve seen with lp ox or 0.5 lp,needs a fast rubber onf/h I have t05 boosted 1.7 sponge and looking for faster with same spin but less dwell,the flex on the blade can catch you out on hard topspins sometimes and becomes nonlinear,however the best player in Leeds is using this with detecs ox and was top of the averages last season should be in top 200 uk at least.
I would compare the speed of the 3.5 as similar to Defplay Senso with a slightly harder feel which gives better reversal with ox lp,there is a kick from the balsa combined with the flex which I didn`t like so didn't use extensively,the control is less compared to bb3.0,if you value control for ox chopping bb3 is much better imo ,best I`ve seen with polyball
Lastly fast forehand rubber doesn't seem to affect the ox lp on bb3,there is no speeding up of the lp phenomenom which I saw with the Defplay senso must be the glassfibre that negates this

Awesome, thank you for the information. It's always good to have info from someone who has used both blades! I currently use 1mm Curl P1R on my backhand and I'm a typical modern defender. Chop backhand and attack forehand. I use 2.1 tenergy 05 on my forehand, so with the JOO blade is it a very heavy set up. The blade on it's own is 100g.

I have a nasty injury that I'm just going to have to live with and to be honest I can't be bothered to constantly be in pain with it after I've played table tennis. I feel that surely a lighter set up will put less strain on the injury. Which is the reason for my wanting to try new equipment.

I'm currently playing a few matches in Leeds this season too, the top division. I've only played two matches. I do believe the guy you are referring to that is the top player is Shah?

I'm wanting to try one of these blades with both the 1mm curl, but then I'm also going to try OX dtecs to lower the weight even further if that rubber suits me, I've never tried it.

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2018, 17:12 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Yes I spoke briefly to S.Masoudi at the Leeds closed earlier this year when I noticed his blade,he had a Xiom rubber on f/h but never asked about that,didn't have the chance to study him properly :( my games were coming too fast really.
Wish you well with the injury,struggling a bit with a restricting tennis elbow atm

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2018, 23:06 
My Precious

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Joola Golden Tango
BH: Tibhar Dtecs OX
"ridderz65" I use the TSP Trinity Carbon with inverted rubber on the FH & LP OX on the BH, the blade is brilliant! :clap:
But with your injury, I've had shoulder reconstructions on both my arms for quality of life these sorts of injuries don't repair without surgery they just get worse & worse. Both my shoulders are now fabulous. :rock:

See the ball, be the ball...

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2018, 23:59 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Omega VII Euro 2mm
BH: Spinlord Orkan 1.5mm
dazzler wrote:
Yes I spoke briefly to S.Masoudi at the Leeds closed earlier this year when I noticed his blade,he had a Xiom rubber on f/h but never asked about that,didn't have the chance to study him properly :( my games were coming too fast really.
Wish you well with the injury,struggling a bit with a restricting tennis elbow atm

I think he uses Vega Europe DF in max

I have a BB 3.0 that I have cut down somewhat and have also used older 2.5 and 3.5 blades. I have two issues with these blades firstly as Dazzler has mentioned the quite high flex gives a high throw with inverted and this with the balsa catapult can lead to some wayward shots on forehand attacks and counters with the poly/ABS ball. I have added wood glue to the throat area of my BB 3.0. Secondly the hard fibre layers over the soft balsa core can give a somewhat strange non linear response with OX/thin sponge that you would notice compared to your existing all wood blade and may or may not like. As a result I am switching to new light weight composite blades such as the S&T black & white and DR Neubauer bloodhound which are designed for the new ball and give a lot more control with pips on the BH

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2018, 02:26 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Thanks for the info Charlie have just started trying to get the arm moving again and can play with restricted serving,maybe ok for a knock in Xmas hols