OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 17:12

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2019, 03:53 
Super User

Please can anyone tell me the composition of the old Butterfly Matsushita Pro blade? Does anyone know the wood layers and the thickness of them too?

Thank you!

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2019, 15:16 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
Dunno bout composition but I can measure the thickness of mine a bit later.

instagram: rokphishtt

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2019, 00:33 

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita
FH: Tenergy 05 1.7
BH: Victas P1V 1.0
Hi ridderz65,

your'e very much concerned about equipment, aren't you?

What does it matter, what a blade is composed of? Is willow better than kiri, hinoki better than koto?

Matsushita Pro has been renamed as Defence Pro after Matsushita left Butterfly. It's rather stiff, rather slow and has a short thick handle. At some time I had one. It had exactly the same veneers as the old Butterfly Cutlass, albeight with a thicker central layer. Here a link to my review of Cutlass, where you'll find some pictures http://www.pimp-my-blade.de/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2562, especially fotos that compare the veneers of some well known defensive blades with Cutlass. The top veneers of Cutlass and Defence Pro are very delicate and splinter easily. As it's discontinued, it's hard to get one and if you are lucky, it's too expensive.

You'll find a large number of similiar blades from almost every manufacturer. Give it some months and you'll adapt to any of 'em. Better than changing blades is practicing with exactly one. I tried both appoaches. Just my 2ct.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2019, 01:35 
Dances with Spammers
Dances with Spammers

Blade: Darker Speed 90 Jpen
FH: Dawei Inspirit Quattro UL
The outer plies are Anigre. Don't know about the rest.

Local Press Club (Journalists) Champion

The speed of a Rhino and the power of a Gazelle!!!!
http://xtrariter.blogspot.com

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2019, 04:08 
Super User

0x556c69 wrote:
Hi ridderz65,

What does it matter, what a blade is composed of? Is willow better than kiri, hinoki better than koto?

Matsushita Pro has been renamed as Defence Pro after Matsushita left Butterfly. It's rather stiff, rather slow and has a short thick handle. At some time I had one. It had exactly the same veneers as the old Butterfly Cutlass, albeight with a thicker central layer. Here a link to my review of Cutlass, where you'll find some pictures http://www.pimp-my-blade.de/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2562, especially fotos that compare the veneers of some well known defensive blades with Cutlass. The top veneers of Cutlass and Defence Pro are very delicate and splinter easily. As it's discontinued, it's hard to get one and if you are lucky, it's too expensive.

You'll find a large number of similiar blades from almost every manufacturer. Give it some months and you'll adapt to any of 'em. Better than changing blades is practicing with exactly one. I tried both appoaches. Just my 2ct.

I'm not remotely concerned about my equipment. I have a friend who used to use one and wanted to find out it's composition so he could try and get one made similar by a wood worker.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2019, 19:30 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
Sorry a bit late.

They are about 5.5mm in thickness.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2019, 23:32 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
0x556c69 wrote:
Hi ridderz65,

You'll find a large number of similar blades from almost every manufacturer. Give it some months and you'll adapt to any of 'em. Better than changing blades is practicing with exactly one. I tried both appoaches. Just my 2ct.

You might be right. Ridderz has some history with EJing (don't we all). But I don't see the point in folks challenging him every time he posts a new question about equipment. I just see a lot of condescension in some of the replies to him (now and in the past) and honestly it's unnecessary. Not that your advice is incorrect, it isn't, but it's unsolicited and something many here have told him a million times.

Also, ridderz is a pretty descent level having watched video of him, so I think he's fine. EJs are going to EJ and there's nothing wrong with that (although it sounds like this is a question for a friend's custom build). He's heard the advice of sticking with equipment a billion times. He knows. No amount of cyber advice will change that. We don't all have the same goals in TT and that's okay.

Last, the question itself may have value to others thinking about that blade. So I say, ask away!

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2019, 17:35 
Super User

Japsican wrote:
0x556c69 wrote:
Hi ridderz65,

You'll find a large number of similar blades from almost every manufacturer. Give it some months and you'll adapt to any of 'em. Better than changing blades is practicing with exactly one. I tried both appoaches. Just my 2ct.

You might be right. Ridderz has some history with EJing (don't we all). But I don't see the point in folks challenging him every time he posts a new question about equipment. I just see a lot of condescension in some of the replies to him (now and in the past) and honestly it's unnecessary. Not that your advice is incorrect, it isn't, but it's unsolicited and something many here have told him a million times.

Also, ridderz is a pretty descent level having watched video of him, so I think he's fine. EJs are going to EJ and there's nothing wrong with that (although it sounds like this is a question for a friend's custom build). He's heard the advice of sticking with equipment a billion times. He knows. No amount of cyber advice will change that. We don't all have the same goals in TT and that's okay.

Last, the question itself may have value to others thinking about that blade. So I say, ask away!

Thanks Japsican. Much appreciated.

I haven't posted on this site for ages, simply because I haven't changed my equipment in months and months and just because of some of the comments.

I needed to ask the question of the composition of the MAT PRO to see if anyone knew what it is. My friend wants to find out to see if he can get one specially made that will be similar to it. I told him he probably won't be able to, but he asked me if I could ask the question on here.

The only change I have had to make is to a lighter set up due to a chronic rotator cuff injury that I now just have to manage. Things have been much better since I've gone lighter !!

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2019, 19:22 
Super User

Haven't seen the exact composition on the internet. But if you can describe the exact physical characteristics, I'm sure some of us can help come up with an objective recommendation, if not something better. Stiffness, hardness, dense vs hollow feel, low impact/high impact speed, vibration properties (high/low pitch), hand feel (sharp vs dull), etc...

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2019, 20:50 

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita
FH: Tenergy 05 1.7
BH: Victas P1V 1.0
Hi ridderz65,

no offense meant. I'm sorry, if my wording can be interpreted as such - this was not my intent at all.

I didn't get the goal to replicate the blade. If this is what you want, your topic is very much valid. Perhaps you could ask user dunc about it, he used this blade for a long time. If the top layer really is made from anigre, perhaps a Defplay-clone with thicker inner layer would do the job (Defplay: Anegre + Gabon + Basswood + Gabon + Anegre)?

Cheers