OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 19:28

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: balsa issues
PostPosted: 14 Jun 2019, 02:40 
Super User

Blade: Hallmark Aurora
FH: Haifu Dolphin
BH: Pogo
what are the benefits and/or disadvantages of the balsa core blades especially for blocking with long pips or anti?

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject: Re: balsa issues
PostPosted: 14 Jun 2019, 06:07 
Super User

Blade: OSP Ultimate
FH: DrN Dominance Spin Hard
BH: DrN Troublemaker 0.5
There are no advantages when blocking with frictionless anti imho as the reversal tends to be low. I don't know exactly why that would be but that is my experience and that's also what you can find in specialized forums like Noppentest.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2019, 09:43 

Blade: DMS Revolution
FH: RITC 802-1 OX
BH: Spinlab Vortex 0.5mm
Agree balsa and anti not good.

OX long pips can have strong reversal with balsa blades. The trouble is that you must have excellent touch vs an incoming topspin ball. At the table you have to block without moving the bat forward at contact. Some even pull back slightly at contact (I don't have the touch for it).

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2019, 17:11 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I wrote this article on balsa blade properties some time ago, might be useful?

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2019, 17:56 
Super User

Blade: XVT Balsa Carbon 10mm all
FH: Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
BH: Globe 979 OX
A thick balsa blade is my choice for using with long pips OX.

Cpen SOS Wood / 4H 729 802-40 2.0 / BH GD Talon use righthanded shakehand grip
HARDBAT / Shakehand Hock 3 ply / Friendship Dr Evil OX .. Play Right-handed

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2019, 19:09 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
I've been advised that fast balsa blades give maximum reversal for OX lp. My experience is that this is the case. I have a friend who uses a Dr N blasa blade that's as fast as index finger... he hits and blocks with OX LP... very nasty to deal with.

I've played a little bit with a T11 (Balsa+Carbon) while I've been away from home... I've found it to be great with OX pips - I used Dtecs and Pogo. I chop more than block and hit, and surprisingly, I found it very nice to chop with too.

I'm much less happy with the balsa feel on my FH though, but it's all personal.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2019, 15:06 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

The top player around the Indianapolis area around the year 2000 was Richard Hicks, who was rated somewhat over 2200 (IIRC) and was a chopper with long pips. He used a thick balsa blade. He was getting them from a person who used to post on Usenet (can't remember the name now but he was one of the more vocal opponents of the 40mm ball). It had a slot where you could slide a piece of paper under the lens of the blade - his said "Richard Hicks". Must've been 10-12mm thick.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2019, 18:39 
Super User

Soft, slow on low impact, faster than expected on high impact, non-linear "whippy" high-latency feel. Usually feels matchboxy/hollow due to necessay combination with harder outer plies.

It's like fighting a fat guy: jabs do nothing, one hard punch and the fun is over.

Personally, I would rather eat a balsa blade than play with one.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2024, 03:53 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Omega VII Euro 2mm
BH: Spinlord Orkan 1.5mm
A key issue of current balsa blades is the poorer/erratic quality of the balsa used.

Apparently the premium light soft balsa ideally for TT blades is being heavily used in wind turbine blades and TT blade manufacturers seem to be resorting to using heavier harder balsa often in multiple strips rather than a complete sheet. The very best balsa as that used in older TSP blades is very white in colour and easily dented with a finger nail (not sure about the balsa quality in the newer Victas branded ones). Harder balsa is darker in colour and not easily dented and lacks the classic balsa dampening effect i.e is more like a conventional wood core.

Two balsa blades I have bought over the last couple of years both exhibited this trait and lacked the classic balsa dampening effect, were heavier than they should have been and had an inconsistent bounce no doubt due to strips of varying hardness.

Today I had a look at the latest version of the Butterfly X5 22 balsa carbon blade and at at first glance it felt good with a weight of 70gm nice balance, soft feel and perfect dimensions of 158 x 152. However the response on bouncing a ball was a bit inconsistent for a carbon blade being faster centrally and an examination of the blade showed it being made of three vertical balsa strips with the central one a darker colour. which usually means harder.

Would be interesting to get feedback on what blades still use single piece balsa layers, or at least if 2 or 3 strips are used the balsa appears to be well matched.