OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 17:26

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2023, 00:44 

What are your experiences with blades greater than 158x152 in headsize dimension?

For me, I feel Donic Defplay Senso (161x155) has the greatest kick acceleration effect when looping with a max sponge tensor.

I tested Bty JSH for a month a couple of years ago and although there is a higher basic speed, from memory the kick effect is not as pronounced as Defplay Senso.

Can anyone can comment on how the kick effect compares against such blades as: Victas Koji Matsushita OFF/Yuto Muramatsu, Nexy JSH, Neottec Kanji Def, DHS 08X, Joola CWX, Spinlord Ultra Carbon DEF?

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2023, 21:52 
Super User

Blade: Nittaku: Shake Defense
FH: Andro: Rasanter R48 1.7
BH: Spinlord: Leviathan 1A ox
I haven't played with a defplay senso for a while but I'm fairly confident the Sauer and Troger Zeus blade has more "kick" then the defplay. Overall the Zeus is also a lot faster then the defplay. The Zeus is also faster and has more "kick" then a Spinlord Ultra Carbon Defense.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2023, 08:14 

The Zeus is a reimagined Nittaku Shake Defense if I recall correctly, just not as pan sized and with a FH side slightly faster due to either UV treatment or an adherence sticker.

I have a Dr Neubauer Hercules which is based on NSD as well but shaved down even further to 153x153.

What rubbers do you put on your Zeus?

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2023, 08:42 
Super User

Blade: Nittaku: Shake Defense
FH: Andro: Rasanter R48 1.7
BH: Spinlord: Leviathan 1A ox
I’ve used a variety of rubbers on the Zeus blade, including Tenergy 05, Dignics 09c, Barracuda and Razka Z. A Zeus blade with Tenergy 05 is too bouncy due to the combined trampoline effect of both blade and rubber

I’ve currently moved on too a Tibhar Fortino Pro which is faster but more linear and has slightly better control. Although it does have a smaller head size

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2023, 15:43 
Super User

Blade: Sanwei F3 Pro (=TB ALC)
FH: Tibhar MX-D max
BH: Hellfire X/Dtecs ox
ZFT wrote:
What are your experiences with blades greater than 158x152 in headsize dimension?

For me, I feel Donic Defplay Senso (161x155) has the greatest kick acceleration effect when looping with a max sponge tensor.

I tested Bty JSH for a month a couple of years ago and although there is a higher basic speed, from memory the kick effect is not as pronounced as Defplay Senso.

Can anyone can comment on how the kick effect compares against such blades as: Victas Koji Matsushita OFF/Yuto Muramatsu, Nexy JSH, Neottec Kanji Def, DHS 08X, Joola CWX, Spinlord Ultra Carbon DEF?

I have played in tournaments with JSH, Defplay, CWX and Spinlord Ultracarbon. Not sure what you mean by "kick effect", but surely Defplay has kind of whiplash effect to me. It's not entirely good thing as it reduces stability and precision. Overall CWX and Ultracarbon are faster than Defplay. CWX is is good both for defending and and pips blocking at the table. Ultracarbon is better long defence with sponged pips and Hurricane 3 Neo fit well on the FH.

Allright, you obviously mean spinkick from the table after loop. :D You are right, kick might be biggest or feel biggest from the Defplay, partly because it gives slowest balls, so the kick feels better compared to JSH. Ultracarbon is also very spinny with Hurricane 3, but for me it didn't work well with tensors I tried. JSH with max tensor might be so quick that there is not enough time to develop max spin. Overall for me CWX and Ultracarbon are better blades for plastic balls than Defplay.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2023, 16:46 

It could be because the Defplay Senso can flex a ridiculous amount.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2023, 11:53 

Can anyone comment further vs Nittaku Goriki series? In particular Danshi version?

Using the information gleaned from the T11 review (https://blog.tabletennis11.com/review-t ... iki-blades) shares similar characteristics to Defplay Senso:

Both have softer feel whilst using relatively hard wood, Anigre vs Walnut
Both are head heavy
Thickness: 5.5mm vs 5mm
Dimensions: 161x155 vs 160x155

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2024, 01:11 
Super User

Blade: Diode V ST
FH: V>22 Max
BH: Curl P1V 1.0
I know this is topic is a couple months old... but I find that Diode has a pretty good kick. Diode is thinner than JSH yet rated as being faster and I could not understand why... And now I definitely see it's because of the kick.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2024, 19:36 

I think the Diode Pro that is coming out soon will be really interesting regarding this topic.

It is 0.2 thinner than Diode V and looks to have a different top ply from the pictures.

It should flex even more and give a greater kick. I tried Diode V and wasn’t that impressed with its looping kick ability as compared to Defplay Senso.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2024, 23:06 
Super User

Blade: Matador Texa Carbon
FH: Gewo Proton Neo 450
BH: Desperado Reloaded OX
For me Joola Chen Weixing old model

This is mine:

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2024, 21:50 

Is the old Chen still with limba outer and black cloth around the core?

The only exception I’ve experienced being W968/Long 5, limba outer blades are not usually known for giving a great kick effect due to the dead dwelly nature of the wood compared to more crisper harder woods such as koto/anigre and springier types such as hinoki/spruce.

Limba give me a consistent rallying topspin while with koto/anigre/hinoki I can loop drive explosively without hitting a ceiling (unless of course it’s the forementioned W968/HL5)

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2024, 22:06 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
Don’t forget the end results are due to the sum of the whole blade designs (composition, dimension, balance, weight, etc), and not just the top ply.

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2024, 00:34 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tibhar Force Pro SE
FH: Razka XX max, black
BH: LP OX, Monkey/SavigaV
Best kick on a defense oversized blade for me was the yinhe LQ-2. I wonder if the tibhar Li Qian blade is more like the LQ-2 or the harder LQ-1.

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2024, 07:17 

rokphish2 wrote:
Don’t forget the end results are due to the sum of the whole blade designs (composition, dimension, balance, weight, etc), and not just the top ply.

This is an excellent point
But most (defensive) players don’t understand any of these design parameters but will blindly buy whatever the pro uses.
For example almost all the blades discussed as oversize blades are not even semi-large blades but are just mid-size blades.
And amateur & defensive players need asymmetric blades lot more than pros & attackers.
And take a look at her racket or Pete May’s racket.
I am noy going to explain who these players are & why they make the most sense (despite size even in sponge era) or what are real blade sizes etc etc because I am not going to waste my time if my post is going to deleted anyway & I get banned. This happened in other forum few days ago & in this forum last year.

Attachments:
sl blade.jpg
sl blade.jpg [ 10.34 KiB | Viewed 242 times ]

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2024, 23:37 

rokphish2 wrote:

Applying this to Defplay Senso does my thinking align as to why it can give such a massive kick compared to other blades?

Composition: thin all wood 5 ply
Dimension: slightly oversized compared to attacking blades, more compact compared to typical modern defensive blades
Balance: head heavy due to empty senso V3 cavity
Weight: 80-85g

Marketing can only trick the average consumer so far, the simplification of using only wood plies should give a good indication on the playing properties to be expected. My theory is TT companies expressly push the manufacture composite blades for the reason they can pull more PR spin that ultimate allows them to charge crazy amounts of money.