OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 19:34

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Re: Tibhar Defence+
PostPosted: 01 Dec 2013, 05:22 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

LordCope wrote:
This is my current primary blade, and I absolutely love it. Excellent control, good or mid-distance and close play (I don't get very far back yet), and very light. I'm able to hit a fast and powerful shot with FH too, so it's not too passive for my experience either.

My only concern echoes that mentioned earlier - the blade is blue. So OX red rubbers look somewhat purple! I'm tempted to try the COS3, although this has fewer plies, and I think is considered even slower.

If your red LP is not very translucent, you should be ok: there are LPs like the Xiying 979 for instance that have this colour themselves and are legal.
On the other hand, this blade playes very similar with black LP - I know, I've used it for two years.
The COS3 is not a substitute at all; its basic speed is higher and its uper speed is lower than with the Def+, because the Def+ has 2 balsa plies. The Cos3 is also more flexible and has less control. In fact, it is hard to find a blade that plays as slow and fast as the Def+, with so much control, unless you decide to get a Re Impact blade.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2013, 08:48 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
Kees wrote:
The COS3 is not a substitute at all; its basic speed is higher and its uper speed is lower than with the Def+, because the Def+ has 2 balsa plies. The Cos3 is also more flexible and has less control. In fact, it is hard to find a blade that plays as slow and fast as the Def+, with so much control, unless you decide to get a Re Impact blade.

That's really interesting information, thanks kees! I must say I've been very impressed with it. I don't have any particular attachment to red over black pips - I just happened to have a sheet of Milky Way 955 OX in Red. In actual fact my current pips are black anyway - 755 Mystery 3 0.8.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2016, 21:07 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: GRUBBA
FH: RAYSTORM
BH: BEST ANTI
I did have this blade a while back but i didnt give it a good chance.I would like to retry the blade again with yasaka anto power and a thick soft s/p.

skilless_slapper wrote:
Damn, she was breaking that ass down! :rofl:

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2017, 19:36 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Just dusted this off yesterday, purely as an experiment. I've used fairly fast blades with OX LP for the last few years, but decided yesterday to try using OX DtecS on this blade. Must say it worked very well - loads of effect, but good braking effect. Chop-blocks arguably even more dangerous than on a faster blade.

On the FH it's incredibly controlled, but has enough oomph if needed - I guess when the balsa kicks in?

Used it again last night - OX DtecS on one side and Stiga Mantra M 1.9 on the FH. Played as well as I've played for ages, and two new scalps!

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2017, 19:49 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I've tried it with dtecs OX as well, it's really good!

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2017, 20:49 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tsp Black Balsa 3.0
FH: t05 1.9 boosted
BH: 388d ox black
How is the topspin capability of this blade?Isnt it very stiff at 7mm thick?

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2017, 21:00 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

dazzler wrote:
How is the topspin capability of this blade?Isnt it very stiff at 7mm thick?

It is flexible, about average, and produces very good topspin (backspin as well). You have to adapt your stroke a bit, though, as with any kind of balsa blade, or you will make more forward speed than topspin when you apply power.

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2017, 21:01 
LP Collector
LP Collector

The defence plus is much thinner than that. A thin 5 ply with 2 balsa. Yesterday in training I was getting a lot of topspin with a closed rackethead, and Mantra M. My partner said it was noticeably spinny.

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2017, 21:21 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

LordCope wrote:
Yesterday in training I was getting a lot of topspin with a closed rackethead, and Mantra M. My partner said it was noticeably spinny.

That is a good way to get there. The trick, in general, is to have the ball dig into the rubber without activating the wood too much. Closing your blade will prevent heavy contact with the wood. So will, with a more open blade, making your stroke go more upwards than into the ball. A soft sponge helps; so does a tacky or sticky surface; and low catapult in your rubber. Personnally, I got the best results with the fairly hard sponges and tacky surfaces of old school rubbers, Friendship Super FX and DHS P4.
By the way, the blade is amazingly good for LP (OX) & SP (max) combinations as well.

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2017, 22:13 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Kees wrote:
DHS P4.

I made 2 x PF4 on this blade for my brother - he used it to destruction. Was a gorgeous setup.[/quote]

Quote:
By the way, the blade is amazingly good for LP (OX) & SP (max) combinations as well.

Concur - I used this blade with Dornenglanz OX and 105 Legend for a while - was a joy to play with.

I heard the "recipe" has changed and new Defence+ might not be as good as the older ones... is that a myth? I'm thinking of getting a few - they've dirt cheap, and now I'm remembering how much I like them!

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2017, 22:22 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: GRUBBA
FH: RAYSTORM
BH: BEST ANTI
LordCope wrote:
Just dusted this off yesterday, purely as an experiment. I've used fairly fast blades with OX LP for the last few years, but decided yesterday to try using OX DtecS on this blade. Must say it worked very well - loads of effect, but good braking effect. Chop-blocks arguably even more dangerous than on a faster blade.

On the FH it's incredibly controlled, but has enough oomph if needed - I guess when the balsa kicks in?

Used it again last night - OX DtecS on one side and Stiga Mantra M 1.9 on the FH. Played as well as I've played for ages, and two new scalps!

a div one player has 2 and uses dtecs and tac drive in 1.5

skilless_slapper wrote:
Damn, she was breaking that ass down! :rofl:

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2017, 22:59 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

LordCope wrote:
I heard the "recipe" has changed and new Defence+ might not be as good as the older ones... is that a myth? I'm thinking of getting a few - they've dirt cheap, and now I'm remembering how much I like them!

I don't think so, but I'm not sure. They have come up wit another balsa defence blade, though, the Tibhar Balsa Def 25. It has balsa for a core ply, just one, instead of 2 intermediate plies, so it is probably slower than the Def Plus when used for attack and not quite as dampening close to the table; more like a classic def blade. Not bad, just different.

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2017, 00:20 
The Pied Pipper
The Pied Pipper

My teamy had this off of me and uses Black 868 ( tensor type - purple sponge ) on bh and 999t6 Red of f/h all in 2mm and he is a demon spin machine with this as well as looping with so much bend in his shots, he uses Def blades now because he has such a powerful action and this "tames" and tones him down for great accuracy!!

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2017, 04:33 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tsp Black Balsa 3.0
FH: t05 1.9 boosted
BH: 388d ox black
LordCope wrote:
The defence plus is much thinner than that. A thin 5 ply with 2 balsa. Yesterday in training I was getting a lot of topspin with a closed rackethead, and Mantra M. My partner said it was noticeably spinny.

Ta Lordcope ,according to Pingmaster it is 6.5 mm with a higher flex than Stiga allround classic I would appreciate if you could measure the thickness ?on weekly special at tt11 under 24 euros btw

Kees:It is flexible, about average, and produces very good topspin (backspin as well). You have to adapt your stroke a bit, though, as with any kind of balsa blade, or you will make more forward speed than topspin when you apply power.
Ta Kees,I just played last season with Black Balsa 3.0 and although it went well the unpredictability when attacking I attributed to the high bending combined with the balsa and this made me play too passively sometimes, I think the def + should be more predictable

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2017, 06:15 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

dazzler wrote:
Ta Lordcope ,according to Pingmaster it is 6.5 mm with a higher flex than Stiga allround classic I would appreciate if you could measure the thickness ?on weekly special at tt11 under 24 euros btw

Kees:It is flexible, about average, and produces very good topspin (backspin as well). You have to adapt your stroke a bit, though, as with any kind of balsa blade, or you will make more forward speed than topspin when you apply power.
Ta Kees,I just played last season with Black Balsa 3.0 and although it went well the unpredictability when attacking I attributed to the high bending combined with the balsa and this made me play too passively sometimes, I think the def + should be more predictable

I have two Tibhar Def Plusses. One is 5.9 mm, the other 6.0 mm. They flex definitely less than the Stiga Classic Allround that I also have. If you would use a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being rigid, 1 being very flexible, the Stiga Allround would score somewhere around 8, the Tibhar Def Plus just under 9. For comparison, the Donic Defplay Classic Senso (also a balsa blade) would score just under 8, and the TSP Black Balsa 3.0 would score just over 8. The Tibhar Def Plus is, then, a bit more rigid than the Black Balsa 3.0. The Def Plus has also a little less balsa character, because its balsa is divided into two plies, and they are not in the core, but sandwiched between other plies. The control of the Def Plus is higher, therefore.