OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:48

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 01 Jun 2009, 15:21 
Liquid Evil Chopper

For future, I reckon the Jo Sanjo's water-based poly is good enough for sealing purposes (it hardens like latex). It's also available from Bunnings.

Chop til you drop baby!

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2009, 21:19 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
guitarpug wrote:
I'm going to seal the edge the same way - 2 to 3 coats of Cabothane. Then I'll use edge tape to protect it. :D

Sealing the edge with Cabothane won't give it much protection GP. Superglue will give it about 30 times the protection the Cabothane will.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2009, 10:25 
Super User

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
Sealing the edge with Cabothane won't give it much protection GP. Superglue will give it about 30 times the protection the Cabothane will.

I'm guessing that superglue will cure harder than Cabothane which will protect better when you knock the bat against the table? I'm hoping that edge tape will take care of that, although I guess with a hard enough knock, that probably will not suffice. Anyway, I'm going to take the risk that this will be sufficient. Thanks for the heads up anyway Reb! :)

Juic Offense Ultima 2.0mm Red

Backup:
Blade: Stiga Optimum Sync C-Pen
Globe 999 National Team 2.0mm Red
729 804-40 Super Soft Pro Ver 2.0mm Black

On its way: Haifu Blue Whale II (Black Sponge) Red Label Factory Tuned

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2009, 10:44 
Super User

Ok, it's finally done! :D

I've finished my 2 coats on the faces and the 4 coats on the edge and glued up my rubbers to my KLC. Before glueing, I weighed the KLC to see how much weight the varnish added and I was surprised! It added..... 3 grams! I didn't realise it would add that much - I was expecting not more than 1g. So now my bat's gone from 75g unsealed to 78g sealed.

Ok, next I tried to glue on the Transcend SP 2.0mm with non-VOC DHS glue. This was hell. :evil: The Transcend is quite hard, and not flat & floppy like say the Omega II or the Juic Offense Ultima I was going to put on the back. It had this wicked curl to it that made it quite difficult to apply an even coat of glue and to get the rubber to line up nicely with my handle. I even tried to heat up the rubber with a hairdryer to get the sponge to expand and flatten out, but no luck. I ended up peeling the glue off (took me an hour and a few blisters! :( ) and using a glue sheet instead. Ok sorted. Then I cut the rubber to size with my new Kai scissors! :D

I glued up the Juic Ultima Offense last with DHS glue, and that took all of 5 mins. I then left the bat under several kilos of books overnight and the next morning I cut the Juic to size and applied the edge tape.

By the way, for those interested, here's the weigh-in results during the process:

KLC unsealed: 75g
KLC with 2 coats x 2 faces, and 4 coats on edge: 78g
KLC with Transcend SP 2.0mm : 126g (damn the Transcend is a heavy bastard! :evil: )
KLC with Transcend SP 2.0mm & Juic Ultima Offense 2.0mm: 156g
KLC with 2 rubbers and edge tape: 159g (yes, this surprised me too! Edge tape adds another 3 grams!!! :shock: )

So compared to my Stiga Optimum Sync with Globe 999 2.0mm and 802-40 2.0mm and edge tape which weighs in at a whopping 180g, the KLC is 20g (11%) lighter, which is almost one sheet of rubber!

When comparing the 2 bats side by side, the KLC is also a smaller bat. The handle is shorter and skinnier by 1-2mm and the overall face diameter is a good 3-4mm smaller. It also feels thinner, and the flare angle where the handle meets the blade is also not as wide, so I didn't have to sand it down to make it more comfortable.

I can't wait to play with it tonight, and I will post some pictures when I get home! Thanks to everyone who offered advice and for your interest in general! :)

Backup:

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2009, 10:53 
Any Which Way You Can
Any Which Way You Can

Yes, I am surprised that your sealing added 3g to the weight. Mine only added 1g. As said before, I am not surprised to see the edge tape adds a few grams there.

Good luck with your games tonight. I look forward to seeing your pictures :D

Cheers.

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2009, 12:12 
Super User

Yeah, I guess I could have been a little heavy handed with the Cabothane! :lol: Hookshot mentioned that he used a cloth to apply very thin layers, but I was already part way through the sealing then...

Backup:

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2009, 13:37 
Any Which Way You Can
Any Which Way You Can

Not to worry. The blade will still play very well. Believe me, the feel will be just as good. In any case, you can always sand the faces a bit more with the 800 grit paper. It won't hurt the seal. In fact, would make the rubber stick better too. You can do it next time you reglue the rubbers if there is a need.

Cheers.

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2009, 14:21 
Super User

Thanks choi! By the way I have a couple of questions about your setup:

How much does it all weigh?
What's the Tenergy 64 like with a 1.8mm sponge? Fast & spinny with decent control?

Backup:

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2009, 15:05 
Any Which Way You Can
Any Which Way You Can

My overall weight comes to only 142g. My Tenergy 64 is 1.7mm and of course the BH is the beloved Octopus from your kind self :D

My game is basically tactical pushes and then wham, a drive smash out of nowhere. This is where I find the T64 excels. If you are looper, then use the 2.1mm which I tried this Sunday off a mates blade. Very loopy and nice but not so suitable for the classic penhold drive smash.

Anyway the T64 at 1.7mm is very good as far as control is concerned. Spin wise, not as much as the 05 but still good enough. Speed, not as fast but still, when I drive one, very seldom comes back. In fact, this Sunday, the guy who let me try his 2.1mm T64 commented how hard I smash and just could not believe that such a light blade plus a thin sponge 64 can smash like that. He tried my blade but don't think he was able to achieve the same smash simply because he is a SH player. BUT seeing is believing and he now believes that 1.7mm is nothing to be sneezed at. More importantly for me, the feel is just lovely. BB and a few other mates tried it and just love the very stable feel. I am hoping to try Srivel EL 1.7mm on the FH when this T64 wears out next. After that, it would probably be Andro Impuls Speed 1.8mm turn :D

Do let me know how yours feel with the rubbers you used when you have a hit with it tonight.

Cheers.

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2009, 15:44 
Super User

Fattchoi - Great info there. I guess my extra weight is coming from the fact that both my rubbers are 2.0mm. Just reading your reply, it makes sense that a 1.7mm sponge could still be powerful as as 2.0mm it allows the ball to come into contact with the blade, and coupled with how hard you hit and the stiffness of the KLC, would make for pretty awesome hitting! :shock:

I'll keep everyone posted on how I go tonight! :D

Backup:

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2009, 17:07 
I am Legend
I am Legend

Bleh,
I keep telling myself I don't want one and I keep looking at the pictures.

How wide is the handle half way down? How tall?

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2009, 07:46 
Any Which Way You Can
Any Which Way You Can

The handle width half way down is about 28mm. Handle thickness is 20mm. I don't quite understand what you mean by how tall. Is it the handle you are referring to? If it is, the handle length is just under 80mm. If it is the whole blade from handle end to tip of blade, then it is about 235mm. Blade face is about 158mm length and 150mm width.

The handle is actually quite similar to the Hurricane Hao which is flared towards the end of handle. BUT, the KLC thickness is straight all the way at 20mm whereas the HH thickness is flared.

Cheers.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2009, 08:50 
Super User

Ok, finally managed to get a chance to use my KLC last night. I wish I could I say I won all my matches with my new setup, but.... let's not go there... :lol:

Alright, this is my review although bear in mind, I'm currently playing in the 2nd lowest rank in our pennant, and I play close to the table. I prefer a fast style of play, and attack on the 3rd ball if I can, though most cases it's on the 5th ball. I also block and push aggressively to the wings to win points. I have a pretty weak RPB, though I played it better last night than I ever have. I also enjoy chop rallies, but am let down by consistency.

Anyway... the rubbers I used were:

729 Transcend SP 2.0mm Inverted Black
Juic Offense Ultima 2.0mm Short Pips Red

The KLC is light. Very light. Because it was 20g lighter than my previous setup, I noticed an immediate improvement in recovery time during rallies and smashes. However, it felt like there was less pace on passive blocks and returns compared to my Optimum Sync and I had to just open the face or push forward slightly to get the ball back over the net which suits me fine. I guess you could say this blade rewards 'active play' where you work your shots, rather than sit back and let the bat do the work. It is a fast blade, but best played in the short-medium range.

I really enjoyed pushing with this bat, especially with the Juic Offence Ultima. With a flat-faced push (ie. perpendicular to the table) my pushes were fast and low and often hit the end of the table. In fact the ball seems to drop off quite dramatically at that point, which caused my opponents to mis-read the ball a couple of times during the night. Interesting... It also says on their marketing speal that this rubber has 'explosive spin'. Well, it has some, but considerably less than the 802-40, and the times I tried to use it like the 802-40, it ended up in the net. So, unlike the 802-40 which can be played very similar to an inverted, the Offense Ultima is a totally different beast. It's also a touch slower, though not by much.

Playing with the Transcend SP was pretty fun. I really do like spinning with the Transcend - extremely tacky, and my serve was the only thing winning me points last night. After the matches I had a good hour of practice rallies with it and I was able to get used to it a bit more. Paired with the KLC, it had a lot of short/medium-range pace on smashes but again exhibited that fall off past medium range. Close-range counter-looping with this combination is very exciting. The tacky surface allowed me to counter-loop balls with heavy downspin (if I time my stroke right). Because the KLC is light, I can keep up easily with fast-paced rallies, and the Transcend returned whatever came at it easily. It was fast, controllable and low.

In conclusion, if you're a close attacker and you enjoy a style that 'promotes athleticism' (some of you will get this joke! :lol: ), you should definitely give the KLC a look. It is a very well made blade, and it's a pretty stiff and hard blade given the weight. It will reward an aggressive, active style of play and offers great close-in speed with great touch and control. However, I suspect that a modern defensive player will also like this blade as it is capable of shifting gears quite easily. The blade can feel quite 'dead' when you play a passive blocking game, but can surprise your opponent with speed if you choose to dig in.

Again bear in mind, I'm new to this reviewing thing, so I hope it all makes sense. Feel free to confirm/deny my observations - it will only add to the quality of this forum! :D

Backup:

Last edited by guitarpug on 04 Jun 2009, 11:27, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2009, 07:11 
Super User

OK, here's the final batch of photos which I took last night after using it once.

KLC with Transcend SP 2.0mm

Close up of the Transcend SP 2.0mm. A veritable super tacky dust magnet!

KLC with Juic Offense Ultima 2.0mm short pips

Close up of the Juic Offense Ultima 2.0mm short pips. Compared to my 802-40, the Juic pips are smaller, and the pips do not have a conical angle like the 802-40 does, but are regular straight up pips. The Juic also feels a touch harder with a simple squeeze test and the 802-40 definitely has more grip.

Backup:

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2009, 11:17 
Any Which Way You Can
Any Which Way You Can

GP, good review and good photography :D I have to say you made up your bat really nicely. And yes, that is one very dusty FH :lol:

Cheers.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next