OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 08:50

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2014, 22:52 

Someone could compare Tenergy 05FX with XIOM Omega 5 Tour, as the speed, control and effect?

It's just that I have to choose one of these for my forehand. The back is long pinple. I'm currently with Tenergy 05 in the fore, and want something a little slower and with more control.

If you have other suggestions, please...

---------------
Classic style
I play in middle distance from the table
Koji Matsushita defensive blade
BH: TSP Curl P3alfaR
FH: ?

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2014, 01:45 
Super User

I have tried all three rubbers that you mentioned. Xiom OVT is much harder than T05FX and regular T05 for that matter. It is also a bit faster than both. I think it offers similar control though. T05FX is more likely to offer more control and a bit less speed. I really like Xiom Vega Japan as an alternative. I use it in 2.0mm.

USATT Rating: 2013

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2014, 03:11 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tsp Black Balsa 3.0
FH: t05 1.9 boosted
BH: 388d ox black
ckhirnigs did you try Tenergy 05 on the Defplay? this is something Ihave been considering as sometimes the attacks with 05 fx don`t penetrate enough for me although generally I like it for everythig else

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2014, 03:41 
Super User

I actually haven't tried T05 on my Defplay. I have only tried T05FX briefly on the Defplay. I am actually in the same boat as you. I am thinking about trying a sheet of Tenergy on my Defplay. I can't decide between T05 or T64. I'm also having difficulty deciding on sponge thickness. I'm going back and forth between 1.7mm and 1.9mm. Your comment makes me think I will probably avoid the FX sponge versions.

To help the OP, I thought the Xiom OVT was a bit too hard on my Defplay for the modern defensive style I play. I think I like Vega Japan better because the feel is medium. It feels good for offensive strokes as well as defensive. I'm trying to figure out which Tenergy will have the same attributes. I feel like T64 is more popular for defense, but I suppose it all comes down to preference.

USATT Rating: 2013

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2014, 06:46 

Quote:
Xiom OVT is much harder than T05FX and regular T05 for that matter. It is also a bit faster than both. I think it offers similar control though. T05FX is more likely to offer more control and a bit less speed.

I chose XIOM OVT because of this notes in tabletenisdb site. take a look:

Rubber..............................Speed................. ​​Spin ................Control
Xiom Omega Tour V ............9.0 .....................9.3 .................9.3
Butterfly Tenergy 05 FX .......9.1 .....................9.2 .................8.9
Xiom Vega Japan ................8.6 .....................8.3 ..................8.5

Are these numbers false? What is your score for the XIOM OVT?

Vega japan is little slower, but in this score, have much less spin and control

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2014, 08:13 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Those numbers are based on numbers supplied by contributors of the db site, who may or may not have any clue what they're talking about, so don't take them as gospel. The Vega Japan is a VERY spinny rubber.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2014, 08:25 
Super User

Most of the higher end rubber from non-chinese brands other than butterfly are made by ESN (germany). They basically make the same base product with minor variations on softness/tack/pip-geometry, etc. ESN rubbers are ~90% of Tenergy for somewhat less money (but I think last somewhat shorter depending on how much the topsheet tension is) so that's a value decision you'll have to make yourself.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2014, 09:47 

Money is not the problem
I'm using Tenergy 05. Spin is great, but I want more control and less speed.
I read that Tenergy 05FX have more control and less speed than T 05, but it's not significative difference
Then I chose XIOM OVT because of the reviews in tabletennisdb
But I'm open to other options

I need help :)

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2014, 10:04 
Super User

You don't have control over Tenergy (or any other fast rubber) because you don't have the professional game it's formulated for.

This isn't a problem what can be solved by buying something.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2014, 10:09 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

haggisv wrote:
Those numbers are based on numbers supplied by contributors of the db site, who may or may not have clue what they're talking about, so don't take them as gospel.

Vey true.

I think t05 fx is probably what you are after.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2014, 10:48 
Super User

Just a remark about these types of threads in general. Small tweaks are not going to make any tangible difference unless you're either high level, or have some technical flaw* in which case it reveals another type of problem. A softer sponge is maybe 5-10% difference. I seriously doubt that a control issue anyone can readily observe and willing to admit is a case of the former, and for the latter a meager 5-10% isn't going to matter. Sure a 5-10% slower tenergy is going to be better control, but anything 5-10% slower is better control, and anything 20% slower is even better control.

If we're being technical here, with something like a very slow Koji Matsushita defensive it's possible (and advisable) to open the blade a bit & more fwd stroked topspins so a softer sponge is not going to encourage faster swings useful to attacking from longer range. People usually use softer sponge on more upward traditional euro loops (enables a bit higher throw with low-grip rubbers to make the methodology less flawed). Then again the OP might have that kind of stroke but who knows.

edit:
* A common example of this are players overdrilled on a certain stroke, esp power strokes, know to how to perform it by rote (going through the motions) but not by feel. This result in a lack of understanding and inflexibility as a result. If they get used to doing it with a certain type of rubber (like a T05 before it deadens) then whatever happens along that restores or "enhances" the original parameters is going get full marks and anything different that requires some adjustment gets marks off. This has nothing to do with equipment but rather themselves.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2014, 13:35 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

tripossante wrote:
Money is not the problem
I'm using Tenergy 05. Spin is great, but I want more control and less speed.
I read that Tenergy 05FX have more control and less speed than T 05, but it's not significative difference
Then I chose XIOM OVT because of the reviews in tabletennisdb
But I'm open to other options

I need help :)

Vega japan is just as spinny, but just as fast too. Donic Baracuda might be option... this is very spinny but a step definitely slower.
Choosing a thinner sponge will also give you more control over most of your strokes, especially for the short game and chopping.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2014, 23:18 

What about donic bluefire?
http://www.tabletennisdb.com/top-rubber ... -desc.html

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2014, 04:00 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tsp Black Balsa 3.0
FH: t05 1.9 boosted
BH: 388d ox black
[quote="ckhirnigs113"]I actually haven't tried T05 on my Defplay. I have only tried T05FX briefly on the Defplay. I am actually in the same boat as you. I am thinking about trying a sheet of Tenergy on my Defplay. I can't decide between T05 or T64. I'm also having difficulty deciding on sponge thickness. I'm going back and forth between 1.7mm and 1.9mm. Your comment makes me think I will probably avoid the FX sponge versions.

Your more in the same boat than you realise I too was pondering between t05 and t64 but in a 1.9 thickness,Ihave tried t05fx in 1.7 thickness and whilst it chopped and pushed better, if topspin/loop is your game 1.9 is much better and suspect it will be the same for t05 and t64

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2014, 22:04 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

tripossante wrote:

Well that table seems like complete rubbish to me...mixing up defensive and offensive rubber... it's completely useful.... not surprising as control is very hard to define, and different for every stroke, level and individual.