OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 05:40

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2017, 16:28 

I'm a beginning player. I have been using butterfly flextra rubbers on both sides. Recently I tried using mark V rubbers. It seems like the ball has already left the paddle before I had time to loop it. The ball goes faster but does not curve down as much. Consequently I tend to hit the ball off the table.

When switching to a faster rubber, what kind of adjustments should be made to the looping move in order for the ball to curve down and land on the table? Should I change the angle of attack (open the racket more), try to graze the ball thinner, or hit the ball after it starts to drop from the peak?

I figure, since the ball goes faster due to the faster rubber, it would need more top spin in order to curve down and land on the table. But in order to put more top spin on the ball, I would have to hit it faster, which makes it goes faster and more likely to fly off the table??

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2017, 16:35 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
Great question!

I'm going through a similar experience, having played with short pips for some time, and now using modern inverted rubber on my FH. I think there are a few things to consider:

1) You don't need to put as much physical effort into the shot - let the rubber do some work for you.
2) You need to focus on spinning the ball, not hitting it. That way you can play a fast shot, but the energy is transmitted into spinning the ball, not projecting it quickly. This is less error-prone.
3) Obviously, mechanically, the blade needs to be closed slightly more, if the ball is going long, but try to combine this with brushing the ball rather than hitting it.

Have a look at some of the ttedge videos (I recommend membership, if you're a developing player) to compare your technique.

Overall your brain will compensate pretty quickly. Your new rubbers aren't frighteningly fast, so it will come soon.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2017, 13:05 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

LordCope wrote:
Great question!

I'm going through a similar experience, having played with short pips for some time, and now using modern inverted rubber on my FH. I think there are a few things to consider:

1) You don't need to put as much physical effort into the shot - let the rubber do some work for you.
2) You need to focus on spinning the ball, not hitting it. That way you can play a fast shot, but the energy is transmitted into spinning the ball, not projecting it quickly. This is less error-prone.
3) Obviously, mechanically, the blade needs to be closed slightly more, if the ball is going long, but try to combine this with brushing the ball rather than hitting it.

Have a look at some of the ttedge videos (I recommend membership, if you're a developing player) to compare your technique.

Overall your brain will compensate pretty quickly. Your new rubbers aren't frighteningly fast, so it will come soon.

I would say to just make sure you are hitting the top of the ball and stick with it for awhile. Don't think too much, and don't get lazy with your stroke. Mark V is not really very fast in the general scheme of things, so you should be able to figure it out soon enough.