OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:37

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: A good, dead rubber?
PostPosted: 28 Apr 2017, 18:30 
Super User

Blade: GiantDragon Kris2
FH: DHS H3 Neo
BH: Who Knows???
Hey all,
I've just had a hit with my 5-year-old Butterfly Wakaba pre-made. It's well and truly dead, but as an anti player, I don't mind it! Of course, I would get flogged if I used it in a match, but it's dead enough to use like an anti, but I can still attack with very powerful flat drives - it *just* gets enough spin to curl down and land on the other side. Being a compulsive twiddler, I can use one side to loop, and the other side to flat hit and use (kind of) like an anti.

Thus I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions of:
1. Where I can get my hands on a Wakaba or Addoy rubber without getting a blade as well (or trying to remove it from my old blade).
or
2. A similar rubber - dead; very low spin (preferably a beginner's rubber like that old one - I don't know why I like it, but I do)!

Cheers :up:

Help me find a new blade please!

Only self-proclaimed unofficial spin doctor of OOAK. Call me Joe or musicfreak :rock:
The author of How Spin Works. The Official How Spin Works Thread. How Spin Works goes to India! See my 3D Printed/Laser Cut blade experiment blog.

Post subject: Re: A good, dead rubber?
PostPosted: 28 Apr 2017, 19:50 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence Alpha
FH: Donic Slice 40 CD 1.5 mm
BH: LKTStrgr+KokBLuJap 1.1 mm
They market them as beginner rubber, slow, unspinny, perfect for blocking game, but not an anti. ;)

Butterfly Addoy
Butterfly Wakaba
JOOLA 4-All
Donic Liga
Stiga Cobra 2000
Cornilleau Pilot Control
Donic Vario
Butterfly Pan Asia
Andro Impuls Speed
Donic Coppa Tenero
Dawei 2008 (Super Power)
Donic Twingo
Banda Rossa Soft
Tibhar Rapid Soft

Sent from my i5E using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2017, 20:15 
Super User

Many thanks, BeGo! I'll be sure to check them out. :)

Only self-proclaimed unofficial spin doctor of OOAK. Call me Joe or musicfreak :rock:
The author of How Spin Works. The Official How Spin Works Thread. How Spin Works goes to India! See my 3D Printed/Laser Cut blade experiment blog.

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2017, 21:30 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: GRUBBA
FH: RAYSTORM
BH: BEST ANTI
mf you could customise your old blade-take one rubber off and replace it with antispin ;)
my son has an old premade with dr evil on one side and pan asia on the other.i customised it for him.

skilless_slapper wrote:
Damn, she was breaking that ass down! :rofl:

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2017, 21:43 
Super User

peterpong wrote:
mf you could customise your old blade-take one rubber off and replace it with antispin ;)
my son has an old premade with dr evil on one side and pan asia on the other.i customised it for him.

Not a bad idea at all; but I'd like to keep my old blade as is - makes a good loaner for mates who don't play TT. Also, I'd probably use inverted rubber like an anti (or maybe an SP); for blocking and flat hits, maybe with something like H3 so I can keep my spinny serves, loops, & chops. Thanks for the suggestion, all the same.

In regards to that list, most of those rubbers seem more expensive when bought without a blade - can't seem to find any of them very cheap anyhow. Perhaps I should keep an eye out for a used rubber?

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2017, 22:44 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
Gambler Reflectoid is rather dead and not that spin-sensitive.

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2017, 22:52 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

Friendship's "half-anti" 804 may be what you are looking for.

Their 802 short pimple rubber may also work for you. It is quite dead if you use thin sponge. I used it with 0.5mm sponge, but the thinnest I could find today was 1mm.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2017, 01:12 
Super User

Butterfly Flextra, very middle of the road, and still available. Might have more spin than you want at first but leave it uncovered in a sunny window a few days and I'm sure it will get dead as you want.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2017, 06:14 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence Alpha
FH: Donic Slice 40 CD 1.5 mm
BH: LKTStrgr+KokBLuJap 1.1 mm
Musicfreak0 wrote:
peterpong wrote:

Not a bad idea at all; but I'd like to keep my old blade as is - makes a good loaner for mates who don't play TT. Also, I'd probably use inverted rubber like an anti (or maybe an SP); for blocking and flat hits, maybe with something like H3 so I can keep my spinny serves, loops, & chops. Thanks for the suggestion, all the same.

In regards to that list, most of those rubbers seem more expensive when bought without a blade - can't seem to find any of them very cheap anyhow. Perhaps I should keep an eye out for a used rubber?

Sadly yes.

The cheapest is Dawei at usd 8.

Sent from my i5E using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2017, 09:14 
Super User

My favourite rubber Dawei 2008 (Super Power). Seems to do everything I want it to. So I never play with any other rubber. The 1.8 and above thickness is a bit heavy. So I use 1.5 with long pips on the BH and seem to get by OK when faced with opposition below and above my level (up to a point of course! :lol:) I know exactly what you mean about dead rubbers MF as I seem to thrive better with a bat with dead rubbers rather than with those with superduper expensive and fast rubbers which offer me little or no control for my liking ;)

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2017, 10:34 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
TTbuddy wrote:
My favourite rubber Dawei 2008 (Super Power). Seems to do everything I want it to. So I never play with any other rubber. The 1.8 and above thickness is a bit heavy. So I use 1.5 with long pips on the BH and seem to get by OK when faced with opposition below and above my level (up to a point of course! :lol:) I know exactly what you mean about dead rubbers MF as I seem to thrive better with a bat with dead rubbers rather than with those with superduper expensive and fast rubbers which offer me little or no control for my liking ;)

My overly simplistic theory is that old dead rubbers you typically find on well-used premades etc. help with at least two things:

* Better control - you are much less likely to send ball long and
* Spin immunity: much easier to deal with serves and whatever your opponent might be sending you during the rallies. Yes, you probably won't be able to loop well and take advantage of topspin bringing the ball down to the table, but I suspect by now you figured out how to hit the ball instead.

Up to certain level you don't really win points, instead you 'don't lose' them. Most of your points come from opponent making unforced mistakes and not from you blasting non-returnable loop etc. So, whoever stays in the rally longer and makes fewer mistakes ends up winning.

It does limit your progress, though...

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2017, 11:10 
Super User

Agree with pgpg :up:
For me Dawei besides being slow and offering good control for blocking and chopping, also offers good grip which allows moderate topspin. I am not looking to progress in anyway but one thing I know for sure is that it has made my game play stronger through sheer consistency in keeping a lot of returns on the table against opposition up to reasonable and decent levels above mine thereby resulting in far more wins than losses which for me is quite satisfying playing the sport from a merely social & relaxing perspective. :rock:

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2017, 11:24 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Try Reactor Ckylin... Not exactly dead, but really, really slow.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2017, 11:26 
Super User

That's my kind of rubber. Thanks Iskandar ;)

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2017, 13:08 
Super User

Thanks all! I'll address the suggestions separately:
keme wrote:
Friendship's "half-anti" 804 may be what you are looking for.

Their 802 short pimple rubber may also work for you. It is quite dead if you use thin sponge. I used it with 0.5mm sponge, but the thinnest I could find today was 1mm.

Tried them both: I've got the 804 on an old blade - probably not enough spin. I'm looking for a normal rubber, and I think the 802 grips a bit too much for when I'm chopping (only used it in 1.5mm). Thanks all the same - can't hurt to try them out again.

pgpg wrote:
My overly simplistic theory is that old dead rubbers you typically find on well-used premades etc. help with at least two things:

* Better control - you are much less likely to send ball long and
* Spin immunity: much easier to deal with serves and whatever your opponent might be sending you during the rallies. Yes, you probably won't be able to loop well and take advantage of topspin bringing the ball down to the table, but I suspect by now you figured out how to hit the ball instead.

Up to certain level you don't really win points, instead you 'don't lose' them. Most of your points come from opponent making unforced mistakes and not from you blasting non-returnable loop etc. So, whoever stays in the rally longer and makes fewer mistakes ends up winning.

It does limit your progress, though...

Spot on there - but I'll be keeping a normal rubber for my loops (I just prefer the dead ones for flat-hitting and blocking), so that way I'll have that "spin immunity" like an anti, but also that control and attack that I can't quite get on an anti.

iskandar taib wrote:
Try Reactor Ckylin... Not exactly dead, but really, really slow.

Iskandar

I'll investigate - I don't need something super slow, per se, just something really controllable.

Thanks to all others who have suggested rubbers - I'll have a look around. :)