OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 12:23

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Nexy Karis review
PostPosted: 17 Apr 2017, 19:15 

Any further comparisons of Regalis and Karis? Is Karis M in between the hardness of Regalis Blue and Red? How is the spin of Karis compared to Regalis? One of my main strategies is looping backspin and need a decent arc in my shots. Which has the higher throw?

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2017, 21:14 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Again, if anyone has cutoffs, I'll photograph them if you mail them to me. Same goes for Matra and any other rubber that's not on that Russian website. Send a PM if you're going to send them.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2017, 01:06 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
kuifje wrote:
Any further comparisons of Regalis and Karis? Is Karis M in between the hardness of Regalis Blue and Red? How is the spin of Karis compared to Regalis? One of my main strategies is looping backspin and need a decent arc in my shots. Which has the higher throw?

I'm yet to post my Karis review to here & MYTT, as to be honest I haven't had a lot of table time over the last two weeks and also, I'm finding the Karis very ordinary, and I really wanted to like it! I'm finding it difficult to understand the love shown for it at the moment. I've now moved it onto a faster blade..... Timo Boll ALC.

Karis M is pretty soft so I'd say similar to Regalis red, and not harder overall. Regalis Red seemed to me to be livlier, spinnier, faster, higher throw. My caveat on that is that I had Regalis in max whereas my test Karis is 2.0.

185g

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2017, 04:21 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
I think if you have comfortably adapted your technique, especially on defense, to a faster, spinnier rubber (which makes predictability and control a non-issue for you), Karis makes little sense. That said, I would probably be miserable using Karis in 2.0mm. I need the extra speed and spin potential.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2017, 23:51 
Blockhead
Blockhead

NextLevel wrote:
I think if you have comfortably adapted your technique, especially on defense, to a faster, spinnier rubber (which makes predictability and control a non-issue for you), Karis makes little sense. That said, I would probably be miserable using Karis in 2.0mm. I need the extra speed and spin potential.

I wouldn't put myself in that category unfortunately, I certainly have short game control issues and serve return issues against better players on my backhand side. I have found it better to keep with the 'faster, spinnier rubbers' but drop down the sponge thickness. My finding to date is that Rakza 1.8 soft is more controllable than the Karis 2.0, as well as having a better top end for speed and spin. i.e. best of all worlds.

The caveat is that I'm a bit stuck in my ways about using all-wood blades, and the rave reviews of Karis seem to be from players who are on composites. I currently have put it onto my only composite, a Timo Boll ALC, and will test soon. Unfortunately I've had to rest up for a week with a mild ankle injury.

185g

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2017, 00:54 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Matsushita Pro
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Dawei 388D-1
It may sound a bit obvious, but Karis is a totally different rubber on a composite blade. I tried it a PG-7, and found it very ordinary. OK, yes, very linear, predictable, but no more so than the Hurricane I use normally, and by comparison lacking in power and spin, using (amongst others) the new DHS D40+ balls. I then put it on an ALC blade, an XVT cheapo, and it starts to be a much more active - if still quite subtle - rubber. In fact, I bought the sheets from AndySmith to conduct further experiments.

I still don't think it is my kind of rubber though. (I am not a subtle kind of player). Of the other rubbers I have tried, Karis feels closest to Xiom Musa, and I have now put a sheet of each on a Xiom Stradivarius to compare. But this is just for curiosity.

Incidentally, the black and red are still different, but the difference is much less marked on the ALC blade.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2017, 08:10 
Blockhead
Blockhead

darucla wrote:
It may sound a bit obvious, but Karis is a totally different rubber on a composite blade. I tried it a PG-7, and found it very ordinary. OK, yes, very linear, predictable, but no more so than the Hurricane I use normally, and by comparison lacking in power and spin, using (amongst others) the new DHS D40+ balls. I then put it on an ALC blade, an XVT cheapo, and it starts to be a much more active - if still quite subtle - rubber. In fact, I bought the sheets from AndySmith to conduct further experiments.

I still don't think it is my kind of rubber though. (I am not a subtle kind of player). Of the other rubbers I have tried, Karis feels closest to Xiom Musa, and I have now put a sheet of each on a Xiom Stradivarius to compare. But this is just for curiosity.

Incidentally, the black and red are still different, but the difference is much less marked on the ALC blade.

I don't doubt your comments, and it would explain why it hasn't worked for me. Btw I thought it most similar to the victas v15 series of what I've tried, but I much prefer the v15.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

185g

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2017, 23:06 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Okay, so I have moved the Karis to a composite blade, the Joola Rossi Emotion (JRE). I liked it on the Defplay (DP) and it fit the bill as a defensive rubber for sure, but when attacking, it lacked umph and I didn't have enough penetration. I seemed to land more shots, but I had far more shots blocked and countered back to me... where with Omega IV Asia they would have been winners. For defensive strokes it was brilliant...so easy to use. Baal theorized that on a slower all wood blade it would seem a bit impotent. I agree with that... I liked the control, but in the end I missed the speed on attacks. So_Devo also said he felt it a bit ordinary, but I bet when he gets it on a faster composite, he might change that tune.

Back to the JRE... first impressions is that it was far more lively but still VERY intuitive. The throw was lower as compared to the Regalis and it's definitely a step slower. I think the Regalis is a bit spinnier. They are both fairly soft rubbers and high control...forgiving on blocks particularly. I concur with what NextLevel said...counters and blocks are it's strong points, but it does not lack for spin. You can spin the ball just fine. Because of the great feeling, you can really go for broke on the loops. I would say the Regalis is a little less forgiving...but just barely. They both VERY similar. But that's just after one night.

Honestly, if I twiddled, it took me a while to realize which rubber I had on the FH. But a few errant backhand loops showed that there IS a difference, albeit a small one.

I will need to play with it more to get a feel for the real differences that exist...but for now all I can say is that they are very similar...but that there is a difference.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2017, 01:23 

Just received Karis M today, red and black sheets, both in max. Red is 65.98 g, the black is 63.22 g. Size of the sheets is not identical (albeit close) but for red it comes to 0.232 g/cm2, for black 0.225 g/cm2 - that's about 3% difference which is acceptable I guess. I'll try to write a short review in a 1-2 weeks time.

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2017, 02:22 

After some more time, I really decided that i couldn't tell the difference enough. The Karis is a bit more forgiving. The Regalis has a little higher throw, a little more spin and a little more speed...maybe. Could be my level is too low to really notice the differences like some of you all might.

I really liked both rubbers a lot, and could probably use them interchangably as a BH rubber on a double inverted paddle for attacking. I still like more speed on the FH, so I took the Karis off in favor of the MX-P i had on there before. Had the karis been black I would have removed the Regalis for the MX-P instead.

I don't have a faster blade than the Rossi, but I can see how a Viscaria or an Innerforce would be SUPER nice with these. Something more OFF than the Emotion.

Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2017, 02:25 

darucla wrote:

The Musa isn't as spinny IMO. Particularly on serves. But in terms of speed and feel...they are kind of similar at the table I agree. But off the table the Nexy has far more juice to me.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2017, 08:55 
Super User

Blade: Acoustic Carbon Inner ST
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Rakza Z
I'm using Karis M 2.0mm on an all-wood OFF-(?) blade. The short pips make it feel harder on impact than a longer-pimpled rubber on a similar hardness sponge, and although I prefer the feedback from a topsheet with more give, Karis M gives me excellent control over placement and speed. I'd like to try a Karis "S" if/when Nexy makes one, but M is really nice to use.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2017, 12:29 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Japsican wrote:
After some more time, I really decided that i couldn't tell the difference enough. The Karis is a bit more forgiving. The Regalis has a little higher throw, a little more spin and a little more speed...maybe. Could be my level is too low to really notice the differences like some of you all might.

I really liked both rubbers a lot, and could probably use them interchangably as a BH rubber on a double inverted paddle for attacking. I still like more speed on the FH, so I took the Karis off in favor of the MX-P i had on there before. Had the karis been black I would have removed the Regalis for the MX-P instead.

I don't have a faster blade than the Rossi, but I can see how a Viscaria or an Innerforce would be SUPER nice with these. Something more OFF than the Emotion.

Which Regalis are you comparing it to? Blue or Red?

PostPosted: 04 May 2017, 17:50 

I played league matches yesterday with Karis M (max, both on FH and BH) - without any practice beforehand. I've played with Tenergy for the last few years, and before that with rubbers such as Acuda or Rakza. I do like Karis M, but need to play with it more before I decide whether to stick with it or not. I wasn't really challenged, and need stronger opponents for a better judgement.

The best is that it has very good control, and is not sensitive to spin so easier in e.g. receive of serves. Good allround rubber, which is good for looping, blocking, pushing etc. Despite not having had a training session with Karis, I probably made fewer errors than I would do with my old setup (but perhaps I was just a bit more careful then normal because I played with a new rubber - and I could afford to because of the level of the opponents).

Slow compared to Tenergy, but still faster than classic rubbers such as Mark V. It's also a bit softer than Mark V, and I can agree with the comparison that I read somewhere that this feels a bit like a lightly glued-up Mark V (those were the days....). Good for keeping serves short and low (the lack of catapult helps there). I did have the feeling that it was perhaps not particularly spinny, but this is something that is difficult to measure.

The lack of speed and catapult may be the reason that some players won't like this; if you're used to rubbers with a lot of catapult, and just stick out your bat and expect the ball to shoot back like a rocket - don't use Karis M. It does not reward passive strokes, and therefore may not work well for players whose technique is not so well developed but yet rely on fast rubbers with a lot of catapult. On the other hand, it may be too slow and not spinny enough for high level players who have no issue controlling Tenergy, MX-P or the like. Thus, it seems suited for players who are a bit in between the 2 categories - those with a good technique and active strokes, but perhaps making just a couple too many errors with Tenergy or ESN rubbers.

PostPosted: 05 May 2017, 15:06 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
kuifje wrote:
Just received Karis M today, red and black sheets, both in max. Red is 65.98 g, the black is 63.22 g. Size of the sheets is not identical (albeit close) but for red it comes to 0.232 g/cm2, for black 0.225 g/cm2 - that's about 3% difference which is acceptable I guess. I'll try to write a short review in a 1-2 weeks time.

One thing to consider is a max sponge is listed as 2.1 to 2.2 on Tibhar Evolution. Thickness of sponge varies in same batch and by batch. Tibhar and several other companies correctly show this on the outside of the package. I will ask Pr. Moon about this for Nexy.

A 0.1 mm difference is a tad over 3% variance and also one could consider making a sponge with inserting air isn't exactly a super uniform operation. Factory application of tuner balances this out some, Karis isn't tuned at all.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next