OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 20:39

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 13 Nov 2018, 08:32 

And don't forget Gibson Tone Polish, uh I mean Butterfly rubber cleaner, so get the best grip on the rubber!

A good thing to do before you buy any rubber is to take a look at table tennis db to see how many people are using it. The more people using it, the less likely it is to be discontinued.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Nov 2018, 12:57 

Wow! I can't believe I forgot to mention the Butterfly Spin Refresh! Very crucial, no other rubber cleaner will work.

I think on the back of the tackiness chop I once got it said to make sure you clean it with Butterfly Spin Refresh :p

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2018, 01:40 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Round about 1980 Paddle Palace was selling cans of rubber roller cleaner for cleaning rubber. I know where to get some locally, there's an area in Kuala Lumpur where there are maybe a dozen or fifteen printers. And a shop that sells supplies to them. There were cans of this stuff in the window. Of course, who knows if it's actually good for the rubber or not... there must be a reason why Paddle Palace stopped selling it. Back then we thought that oily fingerprints were bad for rubber - we wouldn't touch the rubber surface, and we'd clean the rubber surface with a little dish soap. We were still doing this around the year 2000 (when I was playing last before I started again 3 years ago). Now apparently fingerprint oil is GOOD for rubber and dishwashing soap removes oil and is therefore bad! :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2018, 12:24 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

T05 Hard. First impressions by a German pro.
Great linear sponge. Great controllability in short ralliying. No boostering needed. The sponge would last for a long, long time. A mounth of play, or so.

Be happy.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2018, 17:08 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Just a "mounth"? That's only 30 days!!! (OK, maybe 31 days..) That's not long at all! :lol: If a mounth is long, what counts as shourt? How long does regular Tenergy 05 last then? :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2018, 18:52 
Super User

Blade: OSP Ultimate II
FH: Xiom Ω VII Asia Max
BH: Xiom Ω VII Asia Max
iskandar taib wrote:
Just a "mounth"? That's only 30 days!!! (OK, maybe 31 days..) That's not long at all! :lol: If a mounth is long, what counts as shourt? How long does regular Tenergy 05 last then? :lol:

Iskandar

If a Pro trains 22 days of each month about 6-7 hours per session, that's roughly 154 hours per pair of rubbers. Amateurs like us might play 8-10 hours per week if we're lucky, which translates to roughly 4 months of play per pair of rubbers. I do notice a drop off in performance around the 4-5 month mark so a month for a Pro sounds about right.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2018, 19:10 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Does it really work like that? Don't the boosting chemicals wear off whether or not you use the rubber? Yes, I can see how a pro would make a rubber old way before its time but does it actually work out in terms of hours of play, or would the rubber go old in a couple months even if you only play with it a little bit?

Iskandar

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2018, 22:48 

That depends if you are using your butterfly spin refresh properly :lol:

I have an amateur friend who got T05 hard so maybe I can let you guys know how long will last for him.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2018, 01:37 
Super User

iskandar taib wrote:
Does it really work like that? Don't the boosting chemicals wear off whether or not you use the rubber? Yes, I can see how a pro would make a rubber old way before its time but does it actually work out in terms of hours of play, or would the rubber go old in a couple months even if you only play with it a little bit?

Iskandar

The rubbers that I'm familiar with, Tenergy, Xiom, ITC, aren't chemically boosted. I've never used factory boosted rubbers but from what I've read, once the boosting chemicals wear off, whether you play with it or not, the playing characteristics do change.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2018, 01:43 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

You THINK they're not chemically boosted. And the companies never say they're chemically boosted. But they do have the attributes of boosted rubber. They're faster and spinnier than "normal" rubbers. They die after a short while. They shrink. The difference, of course, is that the boosting is done before they leave the factory, and they don't apply "tuned" stickers like, say, Yinhe does.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2018, 02:06 
Super User

Well, there's no chemical smell which is a characteristic of factory boosting. And the plastic wrap have holes in them. If there was chemical boosting going on, I would think the packaging would not have holes to allow for longer shelf life.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2018, 02:35 
Super User

They lose weight. Something evaporates. This weight can be replaced - see other threads.

If it is eventually reported that T05H does not shrink or lose weight (unlikely that this will be the case),
OR that this doesn't get noticeable for several months (possible),
OR that it's still great even deflated (likely),
then I would consider spending the money (provided that it is about 39 DHS hardness).

Last edited by Zhaoyang on 19 Nov 2018, 01:49, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2018, 03:12 
Super User

I can tell you for sure that at least one brand of ESN rubber, if laid on a plastic bag (spread on a table to protect the table during rubber installation), will leave a spot of expanded?/distorted? plastic where it had been. I guess that *something* had to leave the rubber and enter the plastic bag to make that happen. I do not know if Tenergy will do this.

EDIT: I meant *topsheet down* on the plastic, which is maybe even more concerning.

One practical application of this observation is that the usual plastic/rubber protective sheet might be a bad idea (because it is absorptive of whatever I presume is being transferred). Some non-absorbent material is probably better!

Last edited by Zhaoyang on 19 Nov 2018, 04:00, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2018, 03:16 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Actually, they DO smell. The smell isn't the usual tire shop smell of rubber, either, that you get with cheap Chinese rubber sheets. And when they die and shrink, a little Seamoon or Falco revives them. They don't smell a LOT, because whatever they used is supposed to conform to the VOC regulations, of course. But the smell definitely is there.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2018, 06:30 
Super User

To GMan4911:
With regard to the booster in factory boosted rubber (and I am not claiming that T05H is factory boosted), I said "something evaporates". Since I said that to you I've been examining this, and let me improve what I said: While it is likely that passive evaporation does proceed very slowly (as otherwise they could not leave holes in the package, just as you said), it appears that the dominant mode of loss is that the (presumed factory booster) is simply forced out during play, and only then escapes (evaporates I guess) under the topsheet or into the glue layers and (I think) through them into the wood.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next