OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:21

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Re: Review: Sanwei GEARS
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2015, 21:33 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

The description sounds a lot like the various Hurricanes - slow if you play short strokes over the table and fast if you really swing at it. I suppose a lot of tacky Chinese sheets would share these characteristics.

I've been laying off buying stuff for a while - US dollar's gone up so things are more expensive, besides I have a huge stack of rubber I haven't used yet (that I really should sell off). But a couple comments. T88, there's about four or five types I can see on Eacheng's AliExpress outlet:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/T ... 99534.html

The cheapest is less than $5 a sheet (approaching $4 now), the most expensive about $11 a sheet. So far I've bought T88-Topspeed (the 2-for-1 "training" version) - it seems to be made out of Kryptonite, based on what it weighs (a ton). But then, T88-III was more normal weight-wise (and is also available in a 2-for-1 pack, at $6 a sheet).

Haven't visited this store in a while, so I see that Gears (which I'd never noticed before) is in the $16 range. Sanwei does sell expensive-ish rubber, too - "A+" comes in tacky and non-tacky, and costs $20-25. Don't know why the non-tacky costs more, I thought it'd cost less since it lacks the added manufacturing step that makes it tacky (if I'm right, they do this by applying a film - that "protector sheet" - with an adhesive that comes off). They also sell something called "Target" - which comes in "Regular", "Provincial" and "National" (yeah, right...). The National costs a whopping $33 (even with 16% off). Am I tempted to try it? Heck no, I've gotten beyond that, after being disappointed time and time again (Yinhe Big Dipper - feh. 729 Battle - feh. KTL Golden Star - separated topsheet - feh. Palio Macro Pro - feh. Rasant - feh. :lol: - they're all about the same..).

Iskandar

Post subject: Review: Sanwei GEARS
PostPosted: 31 Dec 2015, 06:19 

Some of the Sanwei products looks pretty interesting but I have only tried the gears product from Sanwei. Btw I have seen it for 22 for two from eacheng's. It does sound a bit like dhs products in its description but it's not as tacky and it seems to be affected less by incoming spin. I'm still not sure how it produces good spin without being affected buy incoming spin but that seems to be one of it best traits. I do agree dhs products are good in the short game especially when playing it on my forehand I really have grown to enjoy them in this area there tacky tops are a benefit. But even with my for hand being the much more consistent side since playing the grears I now use my back hand to return more balls I could get with my fore hand because the forgiving nature.
My primary set up right know is the clipper with dhs 3-50 forehand with gears on back hand, and my second set up is a Swedish classic with boosted h3 on the forehand with boosted 999 top sheet on a air lemon sponge on the back hand that I got from colestt.com. The second set up is just pretty fun to play and great to hit with and its not a exact comparison since the rubbers are boosted But when I play the second set up in a match I quickly understand how thin the the margin for error is when playing against good serves and strong third ball attackers. I find it to be a huge difference with short game and serve return. the second set up has a much thinner margin of error even when making the right reads. It's not that I'm just popping balls up or somethings but I noticed the nice short returns too often turn into mid table returns and the long push goes off the table or are tad to high. This was driven home to me today when playing one of our clubs better players. it's something I may not totally notice unless I'm playing a really good player that will make me pay for small the differences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk