OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 22 Sep 2019, 10:58

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Palio Blitz
PostPosted: 02 Jun 2010, 06:28 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC Leo-P
FH: JOOLA Express Ultra
BH: DMS ELITE LONG OX LP
My sheet of Palio Blitz just arrived! I'll post more here tonight, but from my initial inspection here at the office I can tell its sponge is tan colored, and while certainly more porous than PME, its cells are smaller than those on rubbers like Tenergy, Baracuda, and Xplode. In the bounce-the-ball-on-the-uncut-rubber test (what else are office desks for?), Blitz seems less bouncy than my trusty PME 42.5* max, and even though the rubber doesn't feel tacky, a ball dropped from 6" makes only 3 bounces before quickly settling, much the way tacky rubbers behave. Yet Blitz lacks sufficient tackiness to lift a resting ball off the table by even the tiniest bit.

Post subject: Re: Palio Blitz
PostPosted: 02 Jun 2010, 07:08 

Can't wait to hear your review :) . I also just received the Blit'z but I wont be able to play with it until next week :(

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2010, 10:51 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Donic Defplay Senso V3
FH: Tibhar Evolution MX-P 1.9
BH: DrN Trouble Maker
I will also be interested to read your review. I might be able to try out a sheet of it at the club this weekend if mdjenders is also there.

FH Rubber: Tibhar Evolution MX-P 1.9
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer Trouble Maker (testing OX vs 0.6 mm sponge)

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2010, 11:03 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2010, 11:52 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Nice closeup! The sponge looks quite porous!

That sponge looks awefully thin, what thickness is it?

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2010, 12:48 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

haggisv wrote:
Nice closeup! The sponge looks quite porous!

That sponge looks awefully thin, what thickness is it?
It measures about 2.1mm in my loupe caliper.

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2010, 16:50 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Ok.. here are the prelims on Palio Blitz after a few hours of robot play on 5-6 different blades.

Installation-wise, Blitz isn't all that easy to cut so don't try to do it in one pass (of a single-edge razor). Make two passes: Cut only the sponge on the first pass, then cut the remainder on the second. Using that method (thanks, Charlie) produced a nice clean edge. Cut for my blade, the black Blitz weighed 43.8g which is 2.8g heavier than the Macro ERA (black, max) that it replaced. So Blitz is a tad heavier than PME but not quite in T05 territory (more like a light T64). I used a special glue sheet to mount it as I don't think good things happen when a rubber's sponge soaks up uneven globs of latex-based glue.

In play, the first nice surprise is that it plays very similar to the PME 42.5* max that I'm used to. Low throw, too.. woo hoo! The sound it makes isn't quite a clicky as a new sheet of PME but the speed is just as fast, if not faster. Spin seems even better than PME, with my serves obtaining a new degree of jump off the second bounce. Mini loops from right on the table to opposing mid-court are easy for Blitz using a brush stoke. It seems to be a good flat-hitter too, which leads me to think it will be a good blocking rubber, just like PME.

I didn't have time to reset my robot to shoot big spins, so I can't comment yet on Blitz's sensitivity to spin but I have high hopes given its harder sponge.

On the various blades I tried it on, the best results were obtained on those with some flex. I'll have more to report here in the coming days, as well as how Blitz does in match conditions.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2010, 08:21 

WOW... now THAT is a picture nathanso!!!

Looking forward to your further ruminations! :lol:

Last edited by heimdall on 03 Jun 2010, 11:14, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2010, 10:52 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Donic Defplay Senso V3
FH: Tibhar Evolution MX-P 1.9
BH: DrN Trouble Maker
Wow, sounds like a really nice rubber. I am definitely looking forward to trying it out in the near future!

FH Rubber: Tibhar Evolution MX-P 1.9
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer Trouble Maker (testing OX vs 0.6 mm sponge)

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2010, 16:08 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Night two testing Palio Blitz. Charlie of BBC came over for a few matches and I'm afraid I couldn't get the Blitz out of his hands. The first test was a side-by-side ball-drop test onto two paddles: One with PME 42.5 and one with Blitz. Dropped on PME the ball would bounce on and on in ever smaller bounces, eventually careening off the edge of the blade. Dropped from the same height onto Blitz the ball would bounce 3-4 times as with PME but then it would rapidly settle, bouncing no more than 6-7 times before coming to a dead stop. This very dramatically demonstrated the difference between these two rubbers! PME=bouncy, Blitz.. not.

Charlie's thoughts on Blitz:

o You get more out of it than you put into it.

o Good linearity

o Somebody who can spin well will get a lot of spin with this rubber.

o Tried on 10 blades.. works better on a slower blade. Brings an all around blade alive; not very compatible with faster, stiffer blades.

o Spins as well as anything he has hit with (including Baracuda).

o Controls others' spin very well.

o Blocks with relative ease because it takes over/is insensitive to the incoming spin.

o Not boingy like PME; provides confidence and is very forgiving handling others' spin.

o Lacks the wildness of Tenergy 05.

o Plans to replace his Baracuda with Blitz because it's as good for a better price.

o Forgiving when pushing. Easily takes over inbound spin.

o Overriding thought: Requires very little input for large output. Small strokes reward with huge spin; large strokes unnecessary!

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2010, 21:12 

Lets see how it is in a few weeks. It might soften and slow down, like Vega Pro. It seems to have the same sponge.

I do find that a springy Tensor, like Platin, works better than Vega on stiff / hard blades. However as Vega softens, it becomes easier to use on stiff blades.

Tell me, how thick / firm are the topsheets on Palio Macro Era and Blitz? I hate the Platin topsheet as it's too soft and the ball slips too much. The Vega topsheet is also too soft for my liking, although it works much better than Platin.

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2010, 00:15 
For your Long A's Only
For your Long A's Only

Blade: BBC Doubl Diamond
FH: Prasidha Tokyo Max
BH: RITC 755 OX
nathanso wrote:
Night two testing Palio Blitz. Charlie of BBC came over for a few matches and I'm afraid I couldn't get the Blitz out of his hands. The first test was a side-by-side ball-drop test onto two paddles: One with PME 42.5 and one with Blitz. Dropped on PME the ball would bounce on and on in ever smaller bounces, eventually careening off the edge of the blade. Dropped from the same height onto Blitz the ball would bounce 3-4 times as with PME but then it would rapidly settle, bouncing no more than 6-7 times before coming to a dead stop. This very dramatically demonstrated the difference between these two rubbers! PME=bouncy, Blitz.. not.

Charlie's thoughts on Blitz:

o You get more out of it than you put into it.

o Good linearity

o Somebody who can spin well will get a lot of spin with this rubber.

o Tried on 10 blades.. works better on a slower blade. Brings an all around blade alive; not very compatible with faster, stiffer blades.

o Spins as well as anything he has hit with (including Baracuda).

o Controls others' spin very well.

o Blocks with relative ease because it takes over/is insensitive to the incoming spin.

o Not boingy like PME; provides confidence and is very forgiving handling others' spin.

o Lacks the wildness of Tenergy 05.

o Plans to replace his Baracuda with Blitz because it's as good for a better price.

o Forgiving when pushing. Easily takes over inbound spin.

o Overriding thought: Requires very little input for large output. Small strokes reward with huge spin; large strokes unnecessary!

Sounds like a perfect rubber for me, does it perform well with flat hits?

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2010, 02:52 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

tatlwai wrote:
Sounds like a perfect rubber for me, does it perform well with flat hits?
Charlie had specific comments on Blitz's flat-hitting ability. He said it could indeed flat hit, but he had to close the blade somewhat to do so which he found puzzling for a rubber that he felt had lower throw than PME 42.5 (and he had both rubbers mounted to the same blade at one point for easy comparison). He also commented that the throw angle could be made to go high if one wanted it to which also sparked contemplation. Tat, I'll be bringing Blitz to our practice session at ICC this Saturday so you'll be able to try it first hand.

I'll add some of my own findings here..

Playing against:
During initial warm-ups, with Charlie wielding the Blitz and using the softest of topspin test strokes, the ball had such kick off the bounce on my side that it repeatedly dove under my paddle (apparently by a lot, not just a little). This is not a rubber a coach would want to use when drilling with a beginner. Huge amounts of arc and late drop were witnessed on incoming loops, with balls that were clearly long somehow finding the table. Powerful spin on incoming serves; far stronger than the stroke would lead one to expect.

Playing with:
Yes, the throw is low! And best of all, Blitz has very little reaction to incoming spin.. a PME weakness. Charlie has a wicked hook loop that sends my PME into a tizzy (balls shot off at 45* angles unless I'm careful with blade angle or very aggressive). With Blitz I blocked straight and the ball returned straight. How can it do that?! This insensitivity to incoming spin is even better than Baracuda. Compared to PME 42.5, the touch is far better with none of that ball-boinging-off-the-rubber because I contacted the ball too passively. And spin? I feel like a looping hero. Blitz is the easiest rubber to loop with that I've tried, creating tight arcing loops without much effort. I play close to the table and putting BH mini loops onto mid table is quite easy with Blitz, requiring less of a perfect brush than other rubbers. Blitz's control is great too, likely due to its non-bounciness and linearity.

To summarize, I'm very pleased with Blitz. It seems to have all of the good features of PME without some of its key shortcomings (bounciness, reactiveness to spin). Another review installment coming after Friday's round robin.

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2010, 04:21 
For your Long A's Only
For your Long A's Only

Blade: BBC Doubl Diamond
FH: Prasidha Tokyo Max
BH: RITC 755 OX
nathanso wrote:
Tat, I'll be bringing Blitz to our practice session at ICC this Saturday so you'll be able to try it first hand.

Caution to nathanso, it is not this coming Saturday, it will be next Saturday, June 12, otherwise, you will be playing tt by yourself in ICC. :lol:

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2010, 04:33 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

tatlwai wrote:
nathanso wrote:
Tat, I'll be bringing Blitz to our practice session at ICC this Saturday so you'll be able to try it first hand.

Caution to nathanso, it is not this coming Saturday, it will be next Saturday, June 12, otherwise, you will be playing tt by yourself in ICC. :lol:
Righto! It was on my calendar correctly; just not on my fingertips.