OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 15 Oct 2019, 08:06

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2010, 19:57 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
Blade: Nittaku Acoustic

Rubbers tested:
1. 729 FX Lightening 2.0 black
2. Dawei IQ ultralight 2.0 black regular (40 degree)

I'll refer to them as FXL and IQUL respectively.

Tester's level / style: UK local leagues player (3), premier divisions, c. 75% win average. Style; very aggressive forehand with a more defensive / controlling backhand; bh has a very sound push/chop/block and developing but sometimes inconsistent drive/loop. 15+ competitive seasons behind me.

These rubbers were tested on backhand. IQUL has been my regular rubber for some time, FXL I used some while ago.

Quality
IQUL has been patchy for me. I have had sheets with big ripples through them that have gone straight in the bin. Weight has varied. I just opened a pack marked 40 deg to find 35 deg marked on the sponge...........
FXL was a perfect looking sheet and sponge, and I dont recall any issues in the past.

Tackiness
IQUL is in my opinion a tackier rubber than people give it credit for. Keep it clean and covered with plastic between sessions and the tackiness remains and even increases.
FXL is only mildly tacky.

Speed
IQUL is a fair amount quicker than FXL. FXL 's sponge plays a lot deader.

Spin
IQUL is undoubtedly spinnier than FXL, both as a chopping/pushing/serving or looping rubber.

Throw
IQUL's throw is much higher than FXL. FXL chops and blocks lower than IQUL.

Spin sensitivity
As you might expect from the above FXL was less sensitive, and very good for service return.

In summary, I found the FXL toothless for my game, and have returned to my IQUL. It is a bit too slow and in particular I had trouble with offensive strokes on my bh; the low throw combined with a sponge that just was too dead to engage and assist the stroke. However, do not think of FXL as a 'bad' rubber. Quality is good, control is huge for a tacky rubber (dropping balls short was a pleasure) and maybe with more of a brushing loop stroke the offence would be OK. It is cheap (£6.99 at prott.co.uk), light and something I would recommend to beginners, especially youngsters where weight might be an issue. I think it would be very durable (as the IQUL is also). Maybe a faster blade or thicker sponge would bring it alive.

My frustration with IQUL is quality control and the fact there is no UK supplier. When you get a good sheet it is good but they do vary and are sometimes unusable. Other than that it is a capable 'do anything' rubber that can generate huge spin, decent pace and still be sound in defence. You need to read spin well to use this rubber though, as it is sensitive, and like a medium/high throw.

I will start the season with IQUL but look for a replacement in due course. G666 will most likely be the next test.

185g

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2010, 20:57 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Thanks so_devo, nice comparison.

All the sheets of Lightening that I have seen are more tacky then the IQUL, the IQUL being virtually non-tacky to me although very grippy. Sounds like your sheets are quite different.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2010, 21:06 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
haggisv wrote:
Thanks so_devo, nice comparison.

All the sheets of Lightening that I have seen are more tacky then the IQUL, the IQUL being virtually non-tacky to me although very grippy. Sounds like your sheets are quite different.

Thanks Alex.

I've just put a new IQUL on and it was difficult to get the factory plastic sheet off! I could then lift the ball from the table and it would hold on the bat for a significant length of time. Bouncing a ball on the bat made me think, wow, this will need some playing in as it is so tacky. This does die down a bit over time but cleaning and covering with a plastic sheet maintains a very decent tack level, eg. no problem at all for the non-adhesive plastic sheet to stick well to it: better than with FXL.

With Dawei's QC and inconsistent production it would not surprise me if our sheets are very different, which is the main reason I want to find a consistent alternative. Mine came from Cole's.

185g

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2010, 22:10 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Yes that sounds like they've changed quite a bit since I tried one! :lol:

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!