OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 30 Mar 2024, 07:19

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: gambler reflectoid
PostPosted: 24 Sep 2010, 13:02 
The aPPrentice
The aPPrentice

first impressions: this rubber has a tacky top sheet and a slow sponge. the sponge is light-cream colored.
then i played with it and my perspective changed: even though zeropong has this rubber listed as a 70 spin rating, on the chinese scale( 0-12) id rate this an 11. the speed in 2.0 is around 8-10, definitely slower than the sheet of cream i have on the FH. after cleaning with a rag and water, i found that the top sheet is more tacky, slightly, than the cream. is good for all to def style. if you plat def, use the 1.5 sponge. the pip structure is similar ro tibhar super defence 40, short inverted pips that allow minimum penetration into the sponge. i notice that the faster rubbers have longer inverted pips. overall, this is a great deal at 14 $, for someone whoo is wanting to take a break from tackiness chop or slice 40.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject: Re: gambler reflectoid
PostPosted: 24 Sep 2010, 13:06 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Nice review and comparison ilikepie!

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2010, 15:19 

Any idea why this rubber is advertised as something close to antispin rubber..?? I found it a decent rubber for chopping on backhand and sometimes even good for backhand loops but this rubber is nowhere near an antispin rubber.
Cheers.!! ;)

B/H : Tibhar Genius Max
Alternate Setup
Blade : Butterfly Michael Maze ALC FL
Rubbers: F/H : DHS TG3 Neo 2.1
B/H : Haifu Shark II Red Sponge 2.1

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2010, 18:28 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

Yes I put this rubber on a old mans blade (as an alternative to anti) but on his flexy 5 ply it was way to bouncy and I could loop quite easy. I just thought it was more of a counter spin rubber . it may be slower on a stiffer blade but Im unsure

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2010, 19:23 

I played reflectoid for about 8-10 weeks and the topsheet gets more and more tacky with time...
Have cleaned it with spin max once though. The sponge I find quite death and just a fraction slower than
Globe 999. Great for defence but also good on a fast blade as a controlled loop rubber.

Butterfly Maze T-Tec All +
Roxon 450 BH
Haifu BWII (red sponge) FH

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2010, 20:26 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

duke4423 wrote:
Any idea why this rubber is advertised as something close to antispin rubber..?? I found it a decent rubber for chopping on backhand and sometimes even good for backhand loops but this rubber is nowhere near an antispin rubber.
Cheers.!! ;)

I think the only reference made to anti, is for hitting, where the soft sponge bottoms out completely and seems to give a strange bounce similar to anti... I have not tried it myself though...

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2010, 00:23 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

I played a couple months and one large tournament with reflectiod on my backhand, it's really good but I was using the 1.5 and really should have been using the 2.0. It did everything well except attack with top spin (this was because I was getting too much blade with the thin sponge for my game) I had a real problem of either not reaching the net with a brush loop or hitting miles long when I got blade, there seemed a very fine line and perhaps no line at all for me to get it right :S. Maybe with a slow soft blade you can hit the blade and make slow rubbers like this work better for looping but it's not something I have experience with so I'm not sure. Oddly I had no problem looping with it on the forehand ( at and over table ):p but even then it's not really the right rubber for that job.

There is definitely a weird effect that happens sometimes when you block and it does result in the opponent netting more way balls than they would with other rubbers I've used, it's not something you really notice from your end while playing but it's there for sure.

I found that it was different enough to let me easily beat players I wouldn't normally beat but also different enough that I lost to a couple guys that I've never lost to before, so it really depended on who I was playing. The guys I lost to were attacking flat hitters (with anti or near anti). In this case the slower speed of the reflectiod and the heavy chops was something they loved. But against conventional players I was able to beat them more easily than I would have with a faster rubber. It's a genius rubber for chopping as in really really good and blocking and smashing, It's so stable and easy to use I was able to out chop even legendary choppers with it. I'm sure in 2.0mm it would also loop well and just do everything very nicely

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2010, 01:51 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

Blade: Nittaku Shake Defense
FH: Tibhar EvolutionELP 1.9mm
BH: Saviga Super Block OX
Just to add another vote to the quorum, I used this rubber in 1.5mm (black) for about three months on my forehand, and I concur that it's great for chopping and blocking; I was able to generate tons of backspin with it. I went away from it after awhile only because the combination of this on my forehand and LP on my backhand handicapped me a bit in terms of being able to generate speed, but if I weren't using LP, this would be a great backhand rubber for me. The "anti" marketing is something I just ignored from the very beginning because I'd read enough user reviews to know to ignore it, but like others have said, it sometimes did create a few weird effects that would prompt errors from my opponents and some questions about what kind of rubber it was.

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2010, 01:47 
The aPPrentice
The aPPrentice

this 'nonsense' about a mirror effect on the package must have something to do with the softish sponge...

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2010, 13:49 

I apologize at the start -- I am such a newbie, so I hope you will bear with a stupid question.
I'm not sure what difference in play to expect between a 1.5 and a 2.0 version of this rubber.

I used to play intramural college tournaments a long, long time ago, and I did very well but never won any. I just got a ping-pong table for my son, and I want to beat him, of course, and my old racket is all crunchy. I'm looking to build one, and I'm kind of lost in all of the descriptions. But I have a feeling that the Reflectoid might go well with my style. From what I've read, you'd describe me as an aggressive pusher. I block almost everything with the same side, and I rely a lot on changing speeds and hitting precise locations. I like to chop to force a return that lets me put sidespin (either direction) so that the ball tails away from the opponent and falls off the edge.

What I read about the Reflectoid sounds like a match, but I'd sure like to hear what some of you that have lots more experience think. I don't have anywhere to go to try out anything, so I'm going to just have to build something online, hope for the best, and see how well I like it and can use it after it arrives.

Chuck

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2010, 14:42 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Welcome to the forum refugee!

Sounds like this rubber would work quite well for your style. it sounds like the main thing you can't do well with the rubber (especially with the thinner 1.5mm sponge) is powerloop, as the sponge is too soft and it will just 'bottom out' (compresses completely so you're virtually hitting direct with the blade with little spin or control). So if you don't play this stroke, it should work quite well for you, judging by the style you describe.

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2010, 05:55 

I found this rubber by chance, on ooak shop. I have tried many rubbers too many to mention :headbang: I read many forums about reflectoid, & all were extreamly positive. Shall I go for this rubber? Well the price was good now what would the rubber be like. What the heck Im going to try it. Its supposed to do everything I wanted it to. Chop, controlled block, block top spin attacks & flat hit. Guess what :D yes it does all what I have read. In my opinion one of the best chopping rubbers if not the best rubber for this out there. Its a sticky rubber & a true defensive rubber Its fast enough to attack & hard enough to hit I use 1.5 in black, blade is TSP 2.5 & works with Tibhar grass d-tecs its my holy grail for me at moment the best set up for me I went straight into matches with it ,I felt that confident Its has given me extra points :P Recommended.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2010, 04:28 
The aPPrentice
The aPPrentice

i have never heard a more detailed explanation of bottom out. to answer your question refugee, 2.0 sponge will make your shots faster and spinnier, but less controlled. 1.5 sponge will add more control, but at a loss of speed. i suggest the 1.5 sponge, as it allows you to make much more spin on a slower loop, and it will be controlable. step up to something like either 2.0 sponge or RITC cream magic red sponge(MRS) if you think you are ready, because they are both similar.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2010, 09:18 
The aPPrentice
The aPPrentice

i just guessed that, maybe because you can put more swing retaining more spin but at a slower speed than if you had a thicker sheet i guess? new to this...

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2010, 22:47 

This is all wonderful advice and exactly what I was looking for.

Now I get to ask for recommendations on what to put on the other side. I don't use my true backhand often. Sometimes I'll serve a low backspin down the right side and expect a moderately high return on the middle or to my left, and I'll flick my wrist and hit it backhand to smash it back -- and that natural motion generates topspin that keeps the ball low and also flips it over the net if it drops that low even. I hope I've described that well. It's always been effective for me with whatever flat rubber comes on the generic paddles that come with new tables.

Chuck