OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 15:13

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Re: gambler reflectoid
PostPosted: 16 Apr 2018, 02:35 
Super User

pgpg wrote:

OK, then it might mean that it will be tough/expensive for you to get this specific rubber. Try some other thin defensive rubber, like Marder if you are all set on double inverted chopping (which probably has its own issues).

I would also probably revisit 'no backspin with POGO' situation, because it can mean so many things: your opponent is very good at looping backspin, you are not very good at chopping loops and are sending back high floating ball that is easily killed, there was no loop to begin with so you had no spin to work with etc. etc.

Good luck!

Nahh...These are the same opponents that I used to play with, when I was using double-inverted... They had trouble lifting lifting backspin when I used to push over-the-table. But yes, it could be also be my chopping style with LP, and the fact that I am using OX.... I also want to generate my own spin, and not rely on spin reversal (continuation)

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2018, 08:05 

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Xiom Vega Def 2.0
BH: Spinlord Dornenglanz
Hi, has anyone used Reflectoid on balsa cored blades? I have recently bought an old (first version) Andro Fibercomp. I was planning to use Reflectoid on the FH & thought I would use it in 2.0 as I wasn't sure if it would be fast enough in 1.5. But I realise that balsa doesn't work like other woods & wondered if the non linear nature of balsa would compensate for thinner sponge whilst keeping the weight down. I plan to use LP in 0.5 on the BH.

thank you

Steve

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2018, 23:58 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
SteveUK wrote:
Hi, has anyone used Reflectoid on balsa cored blades? I have recently bought an old (first version) Andro Fibercomp. I was planning to use Reflectoid on the FH & thought I would use it in 2.0 as I wasn't sure if it would be fast enough in 1.5. But I realise that balsa doesn't work like other woods & wondered if the non linear nature of balsa would compensate for thinner sponge whilst keeping the weight down. I plan to use LP in 0.5 on the BH.

thank you

Steve

I tried it on an aurora blade. I would say that 1.5 and 2.0 are pretty close in speed. In some ways the 2.0 is slower (less wood involved and the sponge is dampening).

It played fine, but reflectoid is light, and I felt the whole setup with LP was too light. And I like light, but this was far too light for me. And the reflectoid can sometimes have a hollow feel, which I didn't like with the already hollow feeling of the balsa blade. this is just a preference...

This is just an example of why I have gone away from balsa completely...too finicky as to what "feels" good, even if the playing characteristics are fine.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2018, 00:01 

ootbs wrote:
pgpg wrote:

OK, then it might mean that it will be tough/expensive for you to get this specific rubber. Try some other thin defensive rubber, like Marder if you are all set on double inverted chopping (which probably has its own issues).

I would also probably revisit 'no backspin with POGO' situation, because it can mean so many things: your opponent is very good at looping backspin, you are not very good at chopping loops and are sending back high floating ball that is easily killed, there was no loop to begin with so you had no spin to work with etc. etc.

Good luck!

Nahh...These are the same opponents that I used to play with, when I was using double-inverted... They had trouble lifting lifting backspin when I used to push over-the-table. But yes, it could be also be my chopping style with LP, and the fact that I am using OX.... I also want to generate my own spin, and not rely on spin reversal (continuation)

Personally, I am far better able to loop against LP choppers than double inverted choppers. People get used to the fact that LPs do not have much spin on the first and even second loop, if the looper doesn't go crazy with the spin. This is even more so with OX choppers... it takes more time for that spin to build up. With the inverted choppers, they can add a tremendous amount of spin on the first chop with the right technique.

Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2018, 01:37 

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Xiom Vega Def 2.0
BH: Spinlord Dornenglanz
Japsican wrote:
SteveUK wrote:

thank you

Steve

I tried it on an aurora blade. I would say that 1.5 and 2.0 are pretty close in speed. In some ways the 2.0 is slower (less wood involved and the sponge is dampening).

It played fine, but reflectoid is light, and I felt the whole setup with LP was too light. And I like light, but this was far too light for me. And the reflectoid can sometimes have a hollow feel, which I didn't like with the already hollow feeling of the balsa blade. this is just a preference...

This is just an example of why I have gone away from balsa completely...too finicky as to what "feels" good, even if the playing characteristics are fine.

Thank you for this. Looks like it's Plan B then, G666 on the FH

regards

Steve

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2018, 01:44 

No problem.

To be clear, i'm a huge fan of Reflectoid, just not on the balsa blades. Perfect on a defplay as a double inverted chopping rig.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2018, 15:32 
Super User

Japsican wrote:
Personally, I am far better able to loop against LP choppers than double inverted choppers. People get used to the fact that LPs do not have much spin on the first and even second loop, if the looper doesn't go crazy with the spin. This is even more so with OX choppers... it takes more time for that spin to build up. With the inverted choppers, they can add a tremendous amount of spin on the first chop with the right technique.

Yes .... this is what I've been observing ... Infact, some players have outright told me that they find it easier to play me, ever since I've shifted to LP ... Most of these players are hard-hitters, and don't load-up their shots or serves with much spin...

On the other hand, players who're fine loopers or top-spinners say that my second or third chop-return against their loops/top-spins has some serious back-spin. If they continue looping/top-spinning in the same rhythm as the previous one or two, they typically net it. This, I feel, is rather obvious, due to top-spin reversal/continuation + chop action. However, I don't rely too much on reversal, and am thinking of switching (in the future) to an LP capable of generating it's own backspin, especially on over-the-table pushes.