OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 09:30

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: gambler reflectoid
PostPosted: 26 Oct 2010, 10:09 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Apart from the too soft sponge and too thin for me sponge in the 1.5mm I had, I really liked reflectoid. So in my bordem I've glued a reflectoid topsheet to a 45 degree 2.2mm MRS sponge :D, that should cure it (or make it really bad) I'll find out next week

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2010, 13:56 
The aPPrentice
The aPPrentice

foam wrote:
Apart from the too soft sponge and too thin for me sponge in the 1.5mm I had, I really liked reflectoid. So in my bordem I've glued a reflectoid topsheet to a 45 degree 2.2mm MRS sponge :D, that should cure it (or make it really bad) I'll find out next week

is the topsheet DIY or is it separate?

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2010, 15:29 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

I had to make reflectiod soup to separate them, but it does come off nice and clean. Still haven't hit with it but will in a couple days. I'm interested to see how many of reflectiods quality's it retains :)

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2010, 03:38 

I am a Reflectoid fan. I recently bought a defender's paddle ( LTK Instinct ) with LP on the BH and Reflectoid 2.0 on the FH. Refletoid is quite 'slow' but if you want to stand at the table and block, push, chop block and loop/drive when necessary it is more than good enough. I like Reflectoid because I can 'put on the brakes' and slow down the pace of the ralley. The extra control allows me to block or 'dink' ball low over the net at angles that make the attacker scramble to reach them. When the opportunity presents itself I can loop or loop drive easily because the spin to speed ratio is very high and the rubber is very forgiving because it isn't fast but the spin allows for tight arc. Lifting chopped balls is easy. Blocking fast topspin loops is easy. Just put the paddle in the way and close the paddle to adjust for the amount of top spin and speed. I have been a driver/looper in the past and haven't learned to chop with with anything yet. I can do it but the percentages are not high but that is just my lack of ability and experience at chopping.

I think Reflectoid on both sides of a Instict paddle ( $35 US from zeropong.com or colestt.com ) would make a great beginners paddle because it is so forgiving and controllable yet you can still hit the ball more than fast enough for the <1600 players.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2010, 09:59 
The aPPrentice
The aPPrentice

foam wrote:
I had to make reflectiod soup to separate them, but it does come off nice and clean. Still haven't hit with it but will in a couple days. I'm interested to see how many of reflectiods quality's it retains :)

i made juic spark soup with my first jpen :lol: i wanted to change the rubber because at that time i didnt understand the difference between the mechanical spin and tacky spin, and thought all rubbers were supposed to be tacky :rofl: so all my strokes were chinese, and i couldent generate enough spin, but the rubber reacted to spin, so i didnt know what was going on. needless to say, it was my first attempt at taking off a rubber, so i annihilated that poor sheet of spark.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2010, 10:22 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
pnachtwey wrote:
I am a Reflectoid fan. I recently bought a defender's paddle ( LTK Instinct ) with LP on the BH and Reflectoid 2.0 on the FH. Refletoid is quite 'slow' but if you want to stand at the table and block, push, chop block and loop/drive when necessary it is more than good enough. I like Reflectoid because I can 'put on the brakes' and slow down the pace of the ralley. The extra control allows me to block or 'dink' ball low over the net at angles that make the attacker scramble to reach them. When the opportunity presents itself I can loop or loop drive easily because the spin to speed ratio is very high and the rubber is very forgiving because it isn't fast but the spin allows for tight arc. Lifting chopped balls is easy. Blocking fast topspin loops is easy. Just put the paddle in the way and close the paddle to adjust for the amount of top spin and speed. I have been a driver/looper in the past and haven't learned to chop with with anything yet. I can do it but the percentages are not high but that is just my lack of ability and experience at chopping.

I think Reflectoid on both sides of a Instict paddle ( $35 US from zeropong.com or colestt.com ) would make a great beginners paddle because it is so forgiving and controllable yet you can still hit the ball more than fast enough for the <1600 players.

That's very interesting to hear... sounds like it might suit me as well. I had always considered it to be too slow, but you're listed some very good benefits there. Since the sponge is quite soft, you'd probably get a fair bit of speed from the blade quite early, even on medium pace loops.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2010, 07:47 

You really should give it a try Haggis, I have just got my third copy from the ooak shop.
As I wrote early on in the thread it really does what it says on the packet. It is such a reliable rubber & its the most controlable rubber I have used in my opinion. :up:

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2010, 10:38 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Grrr the pressure.... i can't take it anymore :@ :@ :@ :lol:

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2010, 12:39 

Quote:
I had always considered it to be too slow

It is slow but not too slow and that is what is good about Reflectoid. I wouldn't want to return balls from 2 meters behind the table too often but the idea is that you slow down and CONTROL the pace. The other goal is to give the opponent little reaction time. Finally you make the opponent be very good at his touch game where faster rubbers are at a disadvantage and how fast does the rubber need to be when that close to the table?

See the LP section. I just bought a 729 Bomb with Pogo AND Reflectoid. $40. I like Reflectoid. I also bought an extra Reflectoid to replace the UpUpUpUp in case I can't figure out how to play with UpUpUpUp.

I have faster paddles but they aren't as much fun to play with.
I have a Newgy 2050. One thing I like to do is set it up to play in random mode where it shoots balls at all angles randomly. I set the speed to be moderate but set the random speed adder high enough to be as fast as possible and still hit the table. The balls come at a speeds from moderately low to very fast. I can hear the motor spin up or down and the head angle change just before the ball is shot. I have little reaction time. I have to really move to get all the balls back with my TBS+2xT05 and I still make errors because of the variance in speed and topspin. With the Reflectoid I simply stay at the table and cut the angle like a good goalie does and still get the balls back.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2010, 13:01 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

pnachtwey wrote:
I have a Newgy 2050. One thing I like to do is set it up to play in random mode where it shoots balls at all angles randomly. I set the speed to be moderate but set the random speed adder high enough to be as fast as possible and still hit the table. The balls come at a speeds from moderately low to very fast. I can hear the motor spin up or down and the head angle change just before the ball is shot. I have little reaction time. I have to really move to get all the balls back with my TBS+2xT05 and I still make errors because of the variance in speed and topspin. With the Reflectoid I simply stay at the table and cut the angle like a good goalie does and still get the balls back.

That sounds like an excellent practice routine!

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2010, 14:13 

Interesting this come up now, I was just pondering this rubber for my forehand is the Akkadi Taichi doesn't work out. I have my doubts about it as it's quite hard and my tackiness chop and other defensive rubbers I've seen/used are very soft sponged. I had reflectoid before in 1.5mm but sold it to a kid...I had good results when I used it in a match during a tournament, but it was a offensive blade I used it on, still had great control though.

My question is, on my Defplay Senso blade, (rated by donic their 2nd slowest blade only to the defplay classic) would 1.5mm be too slow and cripple my game away from the table, or would 2.0mm not make enough of a difference, I want to fish out some shots when backed away, not sure how it would go on a sloooow blade though.

Confusion, manipulation, variation, this is the way of the darkside.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2010, 15:25 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tsp Black Balsa 3.0
FH: t05 1.9 boosted
BH: 388d ox black
A few questions about this rubber:how does the speed of reflectoid compare to tackiness c?can you generate as much backspin as tackiness c with this?is the black much tackier than the red?...thanks for any replies :^)

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2010, 15:36 

dazzler wrote:
A few questions about this rubber:how does the speed of reflectoid compare to tackiness c?can you generate as much backspin as tackiness c with this?is the black much tackier than the red?...thanks for any replies :^)

From my experience, neither tackiness chop nor reflectoid are very tacky, maybe reflectoid is tackier. They are tacky, but it's not about the tackiness for them, it's about the soft sponge. They are smushy soft, reflectoid a little more so.

I have tackiness chop in 1.9mm and you really, really have to open the racket up and swing away to get it going, reflectoid too, it depends on the blade because it's going to be bottoming out on it a lot. There is no springiness or catapult in these rubbers.

Confusion, manipulation, variation, this is the way of the darkside.

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2010, 18:04 

The rubber is excellant for chopping away from the table, I have used tackiness chop, super defence 40, tackifire c & soft, chop & drive, & many others. In my opinion none can match the control factor & the back spin of reflectoid. Loops can be done & quickly you can also hit flat which can at times make your opponant hit the ball in the net it seems to be a confusing rubber at times for your opponants. It seems like a inverted version of Tibhar D-tecs. Yes it also can be slow which is fine when blocking & when taking pace off the ball. A very dissruptive rubber. And has started to give me some good scalps. I will be playing monday agaist good players I played 5 weeks ago I lost to all 3 players and 2 matches went to 3-2. I feel now I may have a chance to turn the scores around. The blade I use is TSP 2.5 a slow blade & reflectoid works well with it, red side is D-tecs.

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2010, 22:37 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

What thickness are you using?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next