OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 01:44

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2014, 07:31 

Although I should know better--because it will just lead to into another round of EJ addiction--I need the experienced advice of those who use or have used Stiga's Innova. In an effort to move up from #11 in my age group, I just recently shifted away from short pips on the forehand to inverted. With short pips, I had gone through all the permutations on sp (non-grippy>grippy) leading up to 802-40 (the closest to inverted in terms of grip). My youngest son (two levels higher than I) insisted on my using Innova and it proved fortuitous. However, instead of enjoying the improvement, had to compare to other inverted (after all, what does he know?).

Checked with Cole Ely, then with Tom (zeropong), read all the OOAK comments, compared speed/spin/control, etc. etc. End result: compared to Sriver EL, Cream MRS, Xiom Vega Europe, Air Illumina X88 Alpha, Focus III Snipe, Galaxy/Yinhe Sun,Tenergy 25 and 05, and lesser aspirants, THERE IS NO COMPARISON. (All were used on my preferred Donic Epox Control (or the similar Tulpe 7007). Even put them on slower Stiga All Around and Gambler Oversized Kevlar.) With the Innova, can place exactly, can take the ball lower than net and pop it anywhere, can smash with total control, can block even hard smashes or power loops, and, given enough time, can loop close to table. It has gears on the same stroke so I can keep it close on the other side or power for distance. Compared particularly with the Tenergy, Illumina, Snipe and Xiom, it would be slower but the tradeoff is a precision in placement, multiple gears that allows me to neutralize the power loopers, to place the ball with knife like precision, or to drive and smash with total confidence. The other rubbers invariably failed because any mistake in blade angle or the stroke or footwork delay would have the ball flying.

You may have already gathered that the style of play is close to table attack with the backhand long pips either setting up the forehand or attacking if given the opportunity. Never get more than 3' off the table, never chop (besides the lp block chop), never power loop. The question is, therefore, what is it about Innova that differentiates it from the other rubbers because the difference is not at all small. It even outshines the 802-40 and Spectol that you would think suited the fh style of play equally well (in fact, Tom stated that most of the sp>inverted fh players eventually return back to sp....don't think so, in my case).

Do any of you know? Txs!

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2014, 19:05 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

I have used the Innova UL with 1,5-1,8 sponge on Re-Impact balsa blades (my own and my son's). My impression is that it bottoms out easily, but that compared to most rubbers there is a more gradual transition from spinny (when engaging sponge) to a spin-insensitive flat-hit rubber (when the sponge is more or less "bypassed" through bottom-out). Not sure whether that effect is due to rubber topsheet, sponge, balancing firmness in topsheet and sponge, an effect of balsa, or my imagination.

The boy is still using it, and it gives sufficient spin and speed for his abilities, with the added control you mentioned.

For myself I found that I needed more headroom for speed and spin, so I changed from the Innova to the KTL pro XP. For my game, they are not so different. The KTL only a little more "reactive", which works both ways, of course (it is also more sensitive to incoming spin).

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2014, 10:53 

keme: many txs your reply. I had noticed that you used Innova at one time and the reason for your shift to KTL is clear. Will continue to use the Innova and perhaps the weaknesses--other than the slower speed I mentioned--will develop. But at this point, am really quite satisfied. My side spin short loops from about 1m were great tonight causing difficulty for blockers and Seemiller types. Still......am always skeptical about something that seems so good. Will keep informing.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!