OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 06:53

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: JUIC 999 Turbo Review
PostPosted: 21 Jun 2011, 16:06 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I've finally had a chance to test this new rubber from JUIC.

JUIC 999 Turbo: Tension and Spin! The ultimate version of the JUIC 999!

Juic 999 has dominated the table tennis scene with the top players. Now the ultimate version has been launched--999 Turbo! With Juic's original tension system in the sponge, and with greater rotation from the topsheet itself, Juic 999 Turbo offers players increased spin at serving and for topspin rallies, as well as great speed. JUIC 999 Turbo - The climax of JUIC999 series

Ratings:
* Speed: 13.5
* Spin: 16
* Sponge hardness: 4 (out of 5)

Package artwork is not the most impressive... not sure why they don't spend a bit more effort on this :o

The rubber is JTTA approved... not sure whether this means it's of any higher quality

Although this rubber is mildly tacky, it comes with a paper protection sheet instead of a plastic one, which is a little unusual. I prefer plastic protection sheets for tacky rubbers, but it's not a big deal.

The topsheet looks of good quality, not quite as good as some japanese sheets but certainly among the best Chinese sheets. Instead of the usual very smooth finish that you find on other Globe 999 and JUIC 999 CHN sheets, this sheet has a bit of a fine grainy look. The topsheet is certainly tacky and can pick up a ball, but it's won't hold it.

Sponge feels medium soft and springy... definitely softer than JUIC 999 CHN and quite a bit softer than 999 Nat. Pores seem a little bigger as well, but not like those of the latest glue effect rubbers. The sheet did not have a significant dome, and there was no evidence of any type of tuning or tension. The topsheet and sponge are glued together extremely well.

Although the sheet is made in China, I'm not sure whether it's the sponge, topsheet or both. I expect it's a Japanese sponge with a Globe made topsheet, although it does look distinctly different from the Globe 999 or JUIC 999CHN topsheet. the glueing is also quite a bit better than most Globe sheets, as these are not usually glued together as well.

I have had 2 session with this rubber now, and I like it a lot, although I'm not quite sure if I'm willing to give it up for Thor's. It will add my review shortly, where I will compare it to Globe 999 nat, JUIC 999 CHN and Thor's.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2011, 08:25 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Photino for now
FH: Haifu Blue Whale for now
BH: Donic Bluefire for now
That rubber surface reminds me of the Illumina rubbers. That's strange. I do look forward to comparisons of these rubbers. Some time I gotta break down and just give Thor's a try, or 999 Turbo.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2011, 08:52 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I've got one of the Illumina rubbers... it looks quite different.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2011, 12:32 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Very ESN looking texture on that, very unusual for a Chinese rubber

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2011, 22:17 
Super User

I'm really interested with the outcome of your review.

Cheers !

Brahms

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2011, 10:50 
I am Legend
I am Legend

How hard is this compared to Nanospin haggisv?

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2011, 10:58 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

It's rated harder than nanospin II, but I'm not sure about nanospin...I'd have to check if I've measured a sheet.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2011, 11:29 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I've had a few sessions with this rubber now, and here are some of my thoughts, compared to Globe 999, JUIC 999CHN, 999 NAT and Thors.

The sheets feel closest to a JUIC 99 CHN, but the speed is probably ~15% faster. Comparing the speed to other rubbers, I'll give them a low and high gear comparison, where low gear speed refers to a slow spinny loop against a push or slower ball, and high gear is for a fast powerloop.
Low gear speed: Thor>999Turbo>999CHN>999Nat>G999
High gear speed: Thor>999Nat>999Turbo>999CHN>>G999
For both Thors and 999Nat the throw becomes higher at top speeds, whereas the 999Turbo and 999CHN don't do this, you get more spin at high speeds keeping the throw and the ball lower. The 999NAT used to do this too when ti was glued up.

Looping backspin or slower balls, the rubber is massively spinny, and you can feel the rubber hugging the ball and then releasing it, like you can with most 999 sheets. Comparing the spin to the other sheets for the same 2 gears:
Low gear spin: 999Turbo=999CHN=999Nat>G999>Thors
High gear spin: 999Turbo=999CHN=G999>999Nat>Thors

More shortly...

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2011, 03:59 
Super User

When I think of low gear speed, I am thinking of the rubbers ability to push short, and really be able to control the rubber at lower gears, so when you say Thors>999 Turbo...... Does that mean that the Thors speed at lower gears is faster than that of 999 Turbo, or does it mean Thors is more easily dialed down to lower gears while being able to be controlled?

I may not be saying this right, but I don't really think I can.

I'm not asking for much! I just want the fastest rubber in the world as well as a rubber that on any given shot I can hit a drop shot that lands an inch beyond the net, and bounces back on my side.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2011, 11:05 
Super User

[quote="haggisv"]For both Thors and 999Nat the throw becomes higher at top speeds, whereas the 999Turbo and 999CHN don't do this, you get more spin at high speeds keeping the throw and the ball lower. The 999NAT used to do this too when ti was glued up.
quote]

Which of these effects do you prefer? A consistent high throw sounds most appealing to me. What are the plusses to the throw dropping as play speeds up? Which of these rubbers plays most similarly to Skyline II?

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2011, 19:39 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I also prefer a more consistant throw.

I've changed over to this rubber on my main bat now, as i think I like it better even than Thor's.

The main downside of the 999turbo (compared to Thor's) is that it's a little harder to hit with, but this is the same with all the 999 rubbers. I can't quite put my finger on why I like this rubber enough to change to it, but I feel it does everything quite well, has enough speed unglued and loads of spin. The 999 sheets have always been my favourite, but since most are more quite fast enough (unglued), the Thor's seemed the fit the bill well. But this 999Turbo is fast enough, and has all the nice features of the 999 sheet. Unfortunately since it's a JUIC rubbers, it's not as cheap as other 999 rubbers...

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2011, 20:40 
I am Legend
I am Legend

might have to try this some time hmm
did you ever manage to compare hardness to regular nanospin?

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2011, 21:20 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Silver wrote:
did you ever manage to compare hardness to regular nanospin?

I finally found the readings... the actual reading from my Shore C durometer were Nanospin=52, 999Turbo=54. That's not a lot if difference.

To put it in perspective, T05=52, Mark V =52m Thor's=56 Apollo=58, BWII39deg=60, H3neo=55

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2011, 07:06 
Super User

Send me your old sheet of Thor's! What was the factor that made you stick with the 999 Turbo?

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2011, 07:32 
Super User

Probably try this one !
I don"t like the Thor.
I'm still playing with Globe 999 National and falco.
But the price and parcel postage should high for my wallet.
Juic is a very good brand like Nittaku.

I will sell my last Thor (uncut - blk)