OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 05:01

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Re: Sanwei T88-I Review
PostPosted: 02 Nov 2011, 16:02 

vanjr wrote:
Question for the OP or others-How does T88-1 do from mid distance/off the table? How does it do with off the table counter looping (i have had many problems with chinese rubbers that looped and counter looped well at the table, but did not have the power to do the same off the table)

thanx

Mid distance is great, IMO. I can't tell how it does at long distance since I'm not at the level to engage in long range loop rallies. I'm using an ALL+ blade right now and I have no trouble launching killer loop drives from mid distance. For example, tonight I played 3 matches against a guy who plays against me often. Before, I was using an OFF+ blade with a pretty fast rubber(Mercury II 37, cheap but deadly!), and he could counterhit my loops from mid-distance with his backhand pretty consistently. I ended up just staying away from his BH side(his FH is terrible). In the past 3 weeks using the T88-I, I can count on one hand the number of times he successfully counterhit a loop of mine with his BH(or FH for that matter). I've used the T88-I on both the OFF+ blade and the ALL+ blade, and it made no difference. It does feel slower on the ALL+ blade, obviously, but the spin is just absolutely vicious. This rubber is just so great at so many things, but mid-distance counter-looping IMO is definitely one of its brightest spots. I feel like I can't miss with it, and it's not because it's slow either because people have been having a ton of trouble returning them. I played with my friend's T05/T-7 setup over the weekend, and it's just remarkable how similar it plays like my T88-I/F3 setup. They both have such great dwell time, great spin even with full power shots. Neither is a speed demon at lower powered shots, but both can keep stepping up in both speed and spin the harder you hit, not bottoming out easily. The difference is that the T88-I has much better control over the table and it's much easier to serve short.

As always though, beware of its hefty, hefty weight! My setup feels great, at about 185 grams, but I do use a lighter than usual blade as my F3 is only ~80 grams. If you use a more typical 90 gram blade you might need a pretty light BH rubber to keep it under 190 grams(my Bh rubber, the Moon 38 is about 45 grams)

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2011, 19:42 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

I think I'll give this rubber a test run once I get a lighter blade, might try the T88-II also, I wish it was findable in less thick sponge? is it?

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2011, 10:50 

foam wrote:
I think I'll give this rubber a test run once I get a lighter blade, might try the T88-II also, I wish it was findable in less thick sponge? is it?

I don't think so, at least I haven't seen any. If you get a chance to try it, give us a little review, I'd love to hear your opinion on it!

This Sanwei experiment for me has been so, so surprisingly rewarding. Usually when I get new equipment, I'm ecstatic in the beginning but the excitement fades in a week or so and I could see the new toy for exactly what it is, which is usually flawed in some ways. With this T88-I + F3 setup, however, I'm only getting more excited the more I use them. Yesterday I finally felt comfortable enough with the drastic shift from my previous setup to loop with 100% power in game situations, and boy was it a joy! At full power is when you really tap into the full potential of the T88-I's hard sponge and the F3's superior flex(compared to the T-11, which I suppose isn't saying much :lol: ), it's super fast with crazy spin, all on a tight budget! :devil: I really need to work on my BH, but it's just such a damn joy to hit with my FH I can't stop stepping around and trying to hit everything with my FH.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2012, 19:58 

Hi dingyibvs, any further update on durability of this rubber..?? My friend wants to buy it from eacheng but he just wanna know for how many days the speed and spin last ..?? Thanks in advance. :)

B/H : Tibhar Genius Max
Alternate Setup
Blade : Butterfly Michael Maze ALC FL
Rubbers: F/H : DHS TG3 Neo 2.1
B/H : Haifu Shark II Red Sponge 2.1

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2012, 22:07 
Paddy's Paddler
Paddy's Paddler

also does it sound anywhere near liek t05

any idea what the other sanwei rubebrs play like. like T88-2/3

Main: / secondary / LP
Blade: DHS Hurricane hao/ Blade- Hurricane Hao 2

FH: Skyline 3(Blue Sponge)/ FH- Nittaku H3 pro
BH: Omega Asia/ BH- Calibra Tour H

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2012, 05:29 

Blade: Palio Tct
FH: Yasaka Rakza 7 soft (Max)
BH: Nittaku Best Anti (1.3mm)
I play this Sanwei T88-I rubber but i do not like the 40 degree version. Very soft and not have enough power but the 39 degree much better with Paraffin oil + baby oil + voc glue combination. I think it is better than Tenergy05. The weight heavy but this no problem for me because with together the OX pimple the complete blade weight ideal for me.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2012, 07:12 
Two Winged Warrior

Is it suitable for the backhand? To me it sounds like it is semi-tacky, so not suitable for the backhand. T05 is not used a lot on the bh, so it might be a good thing to mention this at least once.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2012, 02:49 

Does the T88-I come tuned out of the box or is everyone tuning it?

If you are tuning it, what is the best combination to use? Paraffin/lamp oil?

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2012, 17:56 

I give 3 time Paraffin oil to the sponge and wait 72 hour to dry and after i give 2 time baby oil to the top sheet and also wait 48 hour to dry. After this i glue with VOC.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2012, 20:52 

Thanks Gery06. Does it play with cork and with good characteristics like tenergy 05 after this?

Have you tried the paraffin and baby oil with water based glue at the end?

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2012, 07:08 

whitewaterbug wrote:
Thanks Gery06. Does it play with cork and with good characteristics like tenergy 05 after this?

Have you tried the paraffin and baby oil with water based glue at the end?

This is hard to answer because i played a long time ago with Tenergy05 was not the same as the current version because the old Tenergy05 have a hardel feel and the new Tenergy05 have softer feel.I do not know when it changed the Butterfly.

The T88-I rubber with paraffin and baby oil + Voc maybe 80% same the old tenergy05 (hard)

I tried also water based glue but the feeling not same.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2012, 13:45 

There is some talk of two flavors of T88-I: http://www.tabletennisdb.com/rubber/sanwei-t88-i.html

Which one is closer to tenergy 05 (target sponge or original sponge)? Which one do you like?

It almost looks like Sanwei is making Target Provincial their lead rubber (at least based on price anyway)

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2012, 15:41 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
I remind posters that under the forum rules discussion of "illegal practices" which go against ITTF rules should be discussed in the experimental/recreational section, not here in the OP's review thread. If you wish to discuss tuning/treating of this or any rubber please start your own thread in the section I mentioned, thanks.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2012, 16:09 

whitewaterbug wrote:
There is some talk of two flavors of T88-I: http://www.tabletennisdb.com/rubber/sanwei-t88-i.html

Which one is closer to tenergy 05 (target sponge or original sponge)? Which one do you like?

It almost looks like Sanwei is making Target Provincial their lead rubber (at least based on price anyway)

I have ordered one sheet from Eacheng but there was no mention of target sponge in the order form. How would I know when I receive the sheet that it has got target sponge or not..?? :^)

B/H : Tibhar Genius Max
Alternate Setup
Blade : Butterfly Michael Maze ALC FL
Rubbers: F/H : DHS TG3 Neo 2.1
B/H : Haifu Shark II Red Sponge 2.1

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2012, 10:27 

Is it better in red or black?