OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 19:51

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Victas Vs>401
PostPosted: 18 Apr 2018, 09:06 
Super User

Would Victas VS > 401 1.8mm be suitable for a 70/30 ration in favour of defense? I like to vary levels of backspin on my chops (many of my chops are heavy) and use my defense to setup my offense. When the opportunity arises, I like to put the ball away within 1-3 shots. I'm attracted to this rubber for its spin potential, but I'm concerned about its put away power.

I've actually ordered a sheet of this but now I'm having second thoughts. I'm tempted to cancel my order and get Tenergy 64 in either 1.7 or 1.9mm. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

BH - TSP Curl P1r 1.5mm

Standard Setup 2
Blade - Joo Sae-Hyuk ST
FH - DHS Hurricane 3 Neo 2.2mm
BH - TSP Curl P4 1.5mm

Hardbat Equipment (Former Full-Time Hardbat Player)
Blade - Marty Reisman custom 5 ply Hock
Rubber - Yasaka Cobalt Alpha OX

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2019, 05:03 
Super User

Blade: SOULSPIN DEFENSE
FH: Spinny stuff
BH: Spongeless reviled stuff
Does anyone know how much a sheet with 1.5 sponge weighs in at?

I have the 1.8 version cut to over-sized blade, and it weighs 53-55 grams. Anyone have a sheet also cut to oversize that can share the weight?

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2019, 08:44 

Brand: Victas
Rubber /Model: 117-003 VS 401
Thickness (max or in mm): 1.5mm
Colour: Black
Uncut Mass(g): 68.5g
Length(mm): 170
Width(mm): 170

https://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=321961#p321961

Nittaku Fastarc G-1, 1.4mm

Backup
Butterfly Impartial XS, 1.7mm
Gewo Königsklasse Karbon Sieben
Nittaku Fastarc G-1, 1.8mm

Butterfly Tenergy 25FX, 1.7mm
Arbalest Bogen, ST
Victas VS 401, 1.5mm

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2019, 05:20 
Super User

Thanks jok!

Now if only i had recorded the weight of 1.8!

For me the 401 is soooooo awesome... but a bit heavy if i wanted to used short pips on the backhand as well. For my current setup of 1.8 + ox pips, the weights stay in the 175-183 range. With short pips that can go up over 200 grams!

But after trying so many other rubbers, for me the 401 is way above the rest. Great short game control, enough power for looping and the chop accuracy/control is unparalleled when factoring in all its other advantages.

I suppose rubbers like tackiness chop or juic 999 elite are good for chopping as well, yet they lack power and spin when doing serves or blocks. They make it safer -- for both user and opponent! I feel 401 raises the stakes a bit and requires each player to be more precise. With tackiness chop, I can probably return balls easier, although the variation and subtleties are not as good nor is the spin as high.

I'm wondering how much of those attributes are lost when moving to 1.5. For reference, I am now chopping or pushing like 90%+ balls. Classic defense and loving it! So would the 1.5 401 be a better match?

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2019, 19:35 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I've tried all three thickness. The 1.5mm is clearly the best for chopping, but you can only really brush loop or hit, powerlooping will bottom it out. 1.8mm is significantly better for attack but definitely not as easy to chop with. The 2.0mm is not too different from the 1.8mm, you can just loop harder and it won't bottom out at all. For mainly chopping I'd go for the 1.5mm, because it's fantastic for this. I can chop with all three after some adjustment, so I suppose you do adapt, but the chopping was clearly the easiest with the 1.5mm. I would agree it's quite unique, not other rubber can chop so well yet attack with so much power.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2019, 06:46 
Super User

haggisv wrote:
I've tried all three thickness. The 1.5mm is clearly the best for chopping, but you can only really brush loop or hit, powerlooping will bottom it out. 1.8mm is significantly better for attack but definitely not as easy to chop with. The 2.0mm is not too different from the 1.8mm, you can just loop harder and it won't bottom out at all. For mainly chopping I'd go for the 1.5mm, because it's fantastic for this. I can chop with all three after some adjustment, so I suppose you do adapt, but the chopping was clearly the easiest with the 1.5mm. I would agree it's quite unique, not other rubber can chop so well yet attack with so much power.

I like that it's also not too tacky... with the actual tacky rubbers like juic 999 or tsp triple spin etc. Those collect dust all the time, even just being put onto a counter for a short while. The 401 is just as grippy but doesnt have the dust vacuum problem!

Man, victas should get me to be their spokesman -- I'm just spouting off about how great it is all the time!

I've tested it against tenergy 05, 64, 80 and mx-s, fx-p etc. Also xiom rubbers and donic etc. And for my current blade, the 401 whoops them all! Spin on serves alone is quite a bit heavier, but when receiving I dont feel it's any touchier than the aforementioned rubbers. Maybe the hard sponge helps kill off the pace and control the short game, along with the slight surface tack.

I will say though, I did test it on a slower chopping blade and was not totally enamored with it. I think that had to do more with the overall feel and my liking for the other defensive blade of mine. I play with it on a walnut/basalt/spruce/spruce/spruce blade which feels very similar to the old kim Kyung ah blades yet at a higher speed. It is very springy... so all I have to do is focus on brushing the ball and the blades rebound handles the speed for me. I've got 4 sheets of the 401 now all in 1.8, so I may give 1.5 a try when those give out. Or I get bored one day...

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2020, 06:10 

Blade: Victas Koji Offensive
FH: Hurricane 3 neo 2.1 black
BH: Victas P1V 1.5 red
Much difference between red and black?

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2020, 01:41 

Blade: Thibar Vs unlimited
FH: Donic bluestorm z1
BH: Butterfly spin art
Hello everyone, someone who played with 401,can compare it with butterfly spinart, thank you all

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2020, 01:42 

Hello everyone, someone who played with 401,can compare it with butterfly spinart, thank you all

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2020, 02:19 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
citta74 wrote:

I played with both, only for a brief period of time. The Spinart requires a better technique and so has therefore less room for error. I can't remember more: it has been a while since I played with Spinart.

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2020, 02:42 
Super User

citta74 wrote:

Spin art feels harder, is faster when applying power but slightly deader when doing passive or low force hits. 401 is quite a bit slower also, though seems to offer better control and as lorre said, ease of use. Basically to my feeling, the spin art is closer to a chinese style rubber and the 401 leans a little more toward the euro variety. If I wanted to be an attacker, I would go with spin art as I used for a good number of months and 5 sheets worth. If I wanted to focus on chopping with an attack here and there, I'd stick with 401. Or if you wished to play an all-round control game.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2020, 21:54 

Thanks to the answers, I use on the backhand to mainly cut and block, but I really like the hard Chinese style feeling, I will try the 401 I do not think of other alternatives to spinart now out of production

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2020, 16:49 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
The 401 has a softer topsheet, which makes it feel softer and allows it to really grip the ball on brush loops or chop.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2020, 17:24 

Even the spinart has high and spaced interior dots (compared to tenergy) the feeling is not very hard, the only solution is to play it and see how it behaves, alternatively there is also the donic blugrip v1 but it is 50 degrees I do not think it feels as hard as spinart or 401

PostPosted: 02 May 2020, 00:33 
Super User

You may like the joola golden tango then. To me it felt the most chinese like of the hybrids I've used. Took more oomph to get the ball moving etc.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next