OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 12:14

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2012, 19:16 
Super User

While I like my tenergy 05fx I am starting to be honest about something - even though looping under spin with this rubber is easy, once in rally my bh isn't quite up to mark and this has to do with my inconsistent technique. I am also finding it difficult to return serves well - especially long serves. I am hitting them out consistently.

This means I need a slower rubber than the 05fx. I have used sriver FX before this and its too slow and un-spinny for me right now. TEnergy 64fx is too fast.

I need a spinny-high throw but a slower rubber as I intend to play close-mid distance.

Is blue fire m3 a good choice for me? Baracuda ?

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2012, 20:07 
Super User

Blade: Hugo Calderano OFF+
FH: Hexer Powergrip 2.1
BH: Hexer Powergrip 2.1
I moved from T64fx 2.1m to the rakza7 MAX, I think that you should try some Rakza7. It's got similar qualities to Tenergy05fx (its soft-ish and high throw with good grippy surface), I've used the T05fx, the Rakza7 is a little slower then the T05 that I'm using now and just a fraction slower then the T05fx, from what I remember of T05fx. Though it does have a more controlled feel on the return of serve and short game play, well for me anyway. Definitely worth a try if you can get a hold of a sheet.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2012, 13:02 

Rahul_TT wrote:
This means I need a slower rubber than the 05fx.
Maybe the Stiga rubber Boost TC could be a solution!

You could also try to reduce the sponge-thickness. If you are using Tenergy 05-FX 2.1 mm, maybe the 1.9 mm version could be good for you.

Same with the Stiga Boost TC: If you are using Tenergy 05-FX 2.1 mm, you could try Boost TC 2.0 mm. If you are using Tenergy 05-FX 1.9 mm, you could try Boost TC 1.8 mm.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2012, 01:21 
Super User

Walee76 wrote:
Rahul_TT wrote:
This means I need a slower rubber than the 05fx.
Maybe the Stiga rubber Boost TC could be a solution!

You could also try to reduce the sponge-thickness. If you are using Tenergy 05-FX 2.1 mm, maybe the 1.9 mm version could be good for you.

Same with the Stiga Boost TC: If you are using Tenergy 05-FX 2.1 mm, you could try Boost TC 2.0 mm. If you are using Tenergy 05-FX 1.9 mm, you could try Boost TC 1.8 mm.

isn't boost tc more of a "driving" rubber (like a slower bryce) and not quite that spinny?

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2012, 02:06 
Super User

Blade: AfroBro Custom
FH: Rasanter R53
BH: Vega X
Rahul_TT wrote:
I need a spinny-high throw but a slower rubber as I intend to play close-mid distance.

Is blue fire m3 a good choice for me?

Yes. M3 feels very much like a slightly slower, more controlled, T05-FX. And it's a lot cheaper. The only question mark is how it plays after the factory booster wears off. Still, it matches your requirements really well.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2012, 06:18 
Super User

AndySmith wrote:
Rahul_TT wrote:

Is blue fire m3 a good choice for me?

Yes. M3 feels very much like a slightly slower, more controlled, T05-FX. And it's a lot cheaper. The only question mark is how it plays after the factory booster wears off. Still, it matches your requirements really well.

Actually this is what I am doubting - a lot of people say M3 is faster than the T05fx and some say its slower. I actually dont mind a fast rubber away from the table but near the net and close distance, I find T05 too bouncy and also very susceptible to incoming spin

Do you think M3 is slower in closer distance play?

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2012, 09:33 

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS H3
BH: Donic Barracuda
I have been using Barracuda on the BH for about 6 months now and find it suits me.
I had similar problems on BH, rubber too fast for my level and return of long fast serves going out.
Barracuda whilst a tad slower than those you mentioned does allow good BH loop against slow balls, while I found blocking and counter spinning to be quite controllable, good technique still being the overriding factor in a successful shot. When using faster rubber I found myself being too tentative with the return of fast serves, with the Barra I have more confidence to be more positive and aggressive in my return stroke.
Best of luck finding a BH rubber that suits and works for you.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2012, 09:56 
Paddy's Paddler
Paddy's Paddler

you could try Omega 4 elite = quite insensitive to spin on soft contact. but can create decent spin and power with solid contact.

vega Europe = gripier and softer than omega elite more catapult
vega elite = if you want to go faster than europe rafther loud rubber, rather spiny and quick
vega asia= if you want something almost similar to 05fx while its not as grippy it not as sensitive to spin.. but with good contact you can generate enough.

i trie my friends M3 or M2 and that seems quite close to T05/T05fx . probabaly more like T05 in terms of hardness seems to have similar catapult.

also t25fx is a rubber that can generate tons of spin easily and is quite quick.. kinda like Yinhe sun ( similar pip structure and size_)

Main: / secondary / LP
Blade: DHS Hurricane hao/ Blade- Hurricane Hao 2

FH: Skyline 3(Blue Sponge)/ FH- Nittaku H3 pro
BH: Omega Asia/ BH- Calibra Tour H

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2012, 19:36 
Super User

Blade: Zhang Jike SZLC
FH: Tenergy 05 2.1 Blk
BH: Tenergy 05 2.1 Red
Rahul_TT wrote:
While I like my tenergy 05fx I am starting to be honest about something - even though looping under spin with this rubber is easy, once in rally my bh isn't quite up to mark and this has to do with my inconsistent technique. I am also finding it difficult to return serves well - especially long serves. I am hitting them out consistently.

This means I need a slower rubber than the 05fx. I have used sriver FX before this and its too slow and un-spinny for me right now. TEnergy 64fx is too fast.

Is blue fire m3 a good choice for me? Baracuda ?

Have you picked an alternative to the T05fx on your TBS for your BH ?
If not have you looked at the Bruce Speed FX ?
Decoy's suggestion of the Xiom IV Eiite sounds good. My mate likes the cheaper Vega Elite on the BH the softest of the Asaia, Pro, Europe 'group'.
I have the Boost TC - it's light and probably wouldn't go for it unless weight was an issue.
I'm still using the T05 on the ZLC on the BH and still really impressed with it - the blade wouldn't be as stiff as the TBS. Also the thickness of the 1.9 might have been the best choice (for the BH).

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2012, 03:00 
Super User

I think I am going to go with a 1.8 or 2mm Baracuda. I think the Xiom rubbers might be too fast for me and since I am going to go with thinner sponge, they might not be spinny enough.

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2012, 09:51 

Rahul_TT wrote:
I think I am going to go with a 1.8 or 2mm Baracuda. I think the Xiom rubbers might be too fast for me and since I am going to go with thinner sponge, they might not be spinny enough.
I think, in place of Tenergy 05 FX, the Baracuda is too hard. Maybe better you try Baracuda Bigslam!

Or this idea is also not the worst solution:

decoy wrote:
you could try Omega 4 elite = quite insensitive to spin on soft contact. but can create decent spin and power with solid contact.
:up: Yes, also a possibility.

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2012, 13:00 
Super User

actually i feel that 05FX is too soft for me. That is one of the reasons why I was looking at Baracuda

Wont the Xiom rubbers be too fast?

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2012, 15:37 

rubbers don't fix technique.
training fixes technique.
;)

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2012, 16:06 
Super User

sebas-aguirre wrote:
rubbers don't fix technique.
training fixes technique.
;)

Thats a good wisecrack. Nowhere has anybody suggested anything to the contrary in this thread though but I doubt you have read much of it in the first place.

Training with a rubber that matches your level and style fixes technique faster.

Anyway I dont think it was your intention to be helpful anyway.

By the way, I am training.

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2012, 03:13 

sorry, I had to give you the cold hard truth.
tenergy 05 fx is a fine rubber.
you should be able to play with it alright.
if you can't the problem is technique not the rubber.

it's ok to change rubbers but you do it because you like the characteristics of one or the other.
if you have problems returning serve you will have those problems with any rubber.
same if you have problems putting the ball in the table.

changing rubber will only increase the problem and after some time you will fall in a spiral of denial where you start thinking the problem is the rubber and you change the rubber all the time thinking this will be the solution.

if you want something to start from scratch and develop your technique go with mark v.
but once you are comfortable with mark v you would go back to tenergy 05, there are not that many choices...