OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 14:44

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2013, 22:09 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

He currently has nothing Lol and I haven't ordered them yet but will very soon so you can give a suggestion. But I've had him try a heap of different rubbers. He didn't really like anything but from my point of view rasant and hexer HD were way too fast for him and he didn't play well with anything of mine either (all tacky). He liked Haifu shark ii on his backhand which could be expected since I bet its not that much different to mark v. And he liked an old worn out sheet of t05 on his fh except he said the control was rubbish and the sponge too thick, he reckoned t05 in 1.7mm would be good. I figured t05fx would be good then I converted that thought into a cheaper rubber which is how I came to m3.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2013, 22:37 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

I don't think M3 is anything like T05. I haven't tried T05FX. M3 is pretty spongey and IMO hasnt got great control. It's very nice if you are a fairly advanced looper (who can utilise the glue-effect) but I don't think it's much good for anything else.

What about Vega Pro? Most players are pretty happy with it.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2013, 02:41 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Ive had a hit with vega pro and that feels just how you describe m3 to me lol.
Although I much prefer it over tenergy, which I really dont like. T05 feels like hitting with a sheet of jelly to me, the tensors especially the soft ones feel like well.... A dishwashing sponge. I run out of sponge a long long time before I reach my biggest swing, so dont make much spin with tensors..

But the dhs sponge feels like hitting with a superball, way more substantial and I really prefer that solid feeling.

Justin always reckons yasaka pryde is the rubber of choice inbetween a classic and a tensor. I guess ill just think about it a bit more and order tomorrow.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2013, 03:08 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Carbonman , how about Donic coppa? Never used it myself but surely it would suit as and old school player perfectly.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2013, 06:37 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

Not sure about Coppa but I have used Pryde and I think it is definitely the way to go for your friend!

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2013, 15:27 

foam wrote:
Carbonman , how about Donic coppa? Never used it myself but surely it would suit as and old school player perfectly.

I use donic copps jo platin the ball go prety low in it seems to have 2 gears good control and when you hit it has a catapult effect

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2013, 01:21 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Ended up with M2 in 1.8 and Mark V in 1.8. I'll let you know if he likes it or not :).

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2013, 06:51 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

Im sure he will like what you have chosen. Even though M2 is not quite like Tornado it's a good middle of the road rubber that is nice enough to play with.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2013, 21:12 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Well I spent some time comparing mark v to an old sheet of tornado and I really can't see or measure any difference in the top sheet. The sponges are for sure different compounds but not noticeably harder or softer just "different".

M2 is less bouncy than I expected and Mark V is faster than I remember dunno about people calling it a slow rubber, I wouldn't be surprised if its ultimate performance is better than M2 knowing that tensors usually run out of steam at modest power.

Anyway the overall set up is very good, not overly fast , blade feel is great for a carbon blade and its 172 grams in total.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2013, 00:19 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Dude loves the bat, it plays great too. Real serious inverted combo, I had a hit with it and its got violent spin and speed compared to the old bath mats I use :rofl: . Really good feel too.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2013, 11:05 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

Good job foam! You are now the official Equipment Guru of the Western Districts. :)

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2013, 11:13 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

His biggest complaint is that the 40mm ball is spinless. He doesn't understand why we are playing with a demented ball now lol. I had no answer. He's going to play Geelong div 4-3-2. I wouldn't let him enter div 5 but 4 is fair considering the talent that's entering from elsewhere.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2013, 11:21 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

I concur re the 40 mm 'ball'.

I just put my Geelong entry in. It's great that the singles don't start until 1.30. C u there.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2015, 06:17 

Tornado was a great rubber. Had it from mid 70's to late 80's in the original orange 1.5. It was good for looping and yet had great control. It was rated 17.0 power, 9.0 speed and 8.0 spin. Mark V is not the equivalent at all. Mark V is 19.5, 10 and 9.5 respectively. It has low control in my opinion and is spinny but weird. I hated Mark V. Not forgiving at all. Tornado was a softer rubber and better for combining looping and defense at the same time. It was very forgiving. I had 1.5 orange on both sides and could be very offensive and yet when I got in trouble I could block with in, easily push, etc. It was incredible for my game, which was a controlled but somewhat powerful game. I usually would push with my backhand and then soft loop, drive or hit for winners. Tornado was average for serving. It wouldn't overpower people but it was harder to make a mistake with also. One of my favorite things about it was that I could appear to be applying a very heavy loop and yet take 25% of the spin off of it and it was really hard to detect the difference until it hit the table. It was great against medium quality players like myself. Of course that wouldn't save me against really good players but that was my fault for not practicing more.

I need to get something similar because even 30-35 years later at nearly 70, I want to play the same game I used to and I've already proven that I can (I just wear down faster). I was an 1850 player at the time who played as high as 2000 for a while but was never rated at 2000. Shake hands grip.

I have played with the 40mm balls only a few times for limited minutes and they are OK for me but I need a new blade and new rubber. My current blade is too fast for me and the 1.7 Shriver I have on it isn't the caliber of Tornado (which I already knew when I got it). Am I correct that when they transitioned to the 40mm balls (slower and easier to spin than 38mm), they felt they needed to compensate with more speed, so they made 1.5 users switch to 1.7 to move the 40mm ball faster?

My blade was a slow, single ply piece of garbage (no name blade made in Michigan) but I loved it. It was about as slow as a beginners 3 ply Butterfly blade most likely. Since I have aged and I am not as quick, I wonder if anyone can recommend a slow, inexpensive, fairly lightweight blade and a 1.5 rubber that has similar characteristics to Tornado (my experience is that a slow beginners blade will be inexpensive but not light weight--I need to make if more lightweight because of my age). I will generate the necessary speed and power, even though it will be slower than in the old days. I would like the blade to have fairly uniform action at all points but if that isn't possible for the price, I will opt for a lower-medium price and deal with some inconsistency.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Mike