OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 04:16

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2007, 08:01 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Sponges of that thickness will bottom out real quick, especially if the sponge is soft...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2007, 08:14 
Super User

I used 729 in 1.5mm on FH and BH for many years and it worked well as a hitting and looping rubber, I was quite satisfied with it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2007, 08:19 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

For firm sponges it should be fine. For soft sponge, bottoming out means you'll be hitting the wood, which for looping means loss of spin and control. For hitting or blocking it might not be such a bad thing, as the ball may not actually grip as much...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2007, 08:32 
Heavy Looper

Inspirit comes in 1.5, and I suspect Saviga may do as well although I haven't seen it myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Mar 2007, 06:37 
Angel of Abbyss

I have bought a rubber for my wife and she loves it: a Tibhar Super Defense 40 in 0.5mm.
She doesn't play defense but stay close to the table. It is a funny rubber, giving a lot of spin with great control. It is also possible to attack with it.
Also interesting, it is available in 0.9mm and other thickness.

http://www.diabolosyl.net (my own site)
http://www.tennis-de-table.com (biggest forum in France)

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2007, 08:50 
Super User

You could try the Tango Defensive 1.2mm rubber. I use it on both sides of my doubles bat, and find it quite easy to play attack and defence with. Quite spinny regardless of the thin sponge. It's pretty versatile stuff really.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Mar 2007, 09:14 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Does it bottom out on hard blocks or flat hits Greg?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Mar 2007, 11:03 
Rotatus Maximus
Rotatus Maximus

I'm using Tango 1.5 (to try some away from the table chopping) and, yes it does bottom out when counter looping and hiting. But I think after a bit of training with it, you'd seemlessly adjust your stroke.

Chen Weixing has gone the other way- an ultra slow blade and hardish inverted rubber in max, so that he can both chop and attack with it. I imagine using soft, thin sponged inverted on a faster blade gives more spin on the slow balls, while Chen's system gives him more spin/control when high speed counter looping the world's best loopers.

Any comments on this theory?

Member of Anastasia's Fan Club

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Mar 2007, 13:12 
Super User

haggisv wrote:
Does it bottom out on hard blocks or flat hits Greg?

If you mean can I feel the ball sort of hitting the wood - then yes it does. Mind you, I don't mind that feeling myself, and as a spin looper rather than a speed looper, it doesn't affect me really. I actually find using a thick sponge with speed glue almost strange these days because I can't actually get the feel of the ball hitting the blade - I don't 'feel' the contact very well at all.

Guess I've just got used to that 'bottoming out' sensation over the last few years, and now I kind of expect it. Go figure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2007, 09:41 
Sir He-LP-alot
Sir He-LP-alot

speedplay wrote:
Cant get hold of them here (assuming they are from Dawei?) Only Dawei rubber here is the Sprungfeder G3 A4 and some of their LP's.

Howabout Geospin? Could that be something to try out? Or perhaps Geospin tacky would be better?

Hmm... well thats what I use in 2.0mm not for defense though. I'm playing Curl Combi at present which is built for a much more defensive game and was thinking about dropping to 1.5mm Geospin to adjust. Basically Curl Combi is very strong at chopping - forehand chop you can put spin on, backhand is 'frictionless', mix that with an inverted chops and twiddles and its interesting to say the least. However Curl Combi is much more difficult to attack with than say 955 or Frustration - much more difficult.

Anyway I doubt that Geospin will 'bottom out' at 42 degrees. With a rubber like this you can really rip the spin on but trying to chop a spinning ball ..... Basically if someone refuses to spin the ball (e.g. targeting your pips) they're in for a shock against Geospin because all of a sudden a torrent of spin descends on them and then you've the reverse spin follow up. However, if you're trying to control a heavy topspin ball by chopping or worse still floating it back .... DTop's advice might be useful IMO. I'm not a chopper though.

DTops advice is to go for a non-tacky rubber with a thin sponge, we understand Greg uses TBS blade though.

Frictionless strokes | Attacking pip strokes | Greggy's advice | Bollsbrother | Sebastian Sauer . . . . . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Mar 2007, 09:28 
Rotatus Maximus
Rotatus Maximus

Mathias wrote:
Anyway I doubt that Geospin will 'bottom out' at 42 degrees

My Geospin T 2.0 feels more like 50 degrees than 42 (ie like Mark V /Sriver EL). It's the hardest rubber I've ever had by a long, long way. I've tried using copious amounts of speed glue and it still plays like a tacky brick.

Gota love that Chinese quality control.

Member of Anastasia's Fan Club