OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 21:36

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2019, 22:19 

My current setup is TSPW + Nittaku Fastarc G1 + Rakza 7(backhand). I'm struggling with serve returns as Rakza 7 seems to be very reactive and also my backhand looping, though consistent, still lacks in spin and during games, under pressure, my backhand topspin goes long. So I'm looking to slow down my backhand a little bit, so two questions,

1. Nittaku Fastarc G1 vs Rakza 7 - which is better for forehand - I'm comfortable with both in forehand, which is better?

2. Suggest a good control backhand rubber, which will help me in returning serves better but is also good for looping. I know that imparting spin and spin reactivity is directly related but please suggest a good options. I thought tacky rubbers for backhand would help but after researching found out that tacky also equals more spin sensitivity, is this true?

Thoughts on 999 super 999T or a soft chinese rubber for backhand? I'm choosing Chinese because of budget constraints.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2019, 22:42 
Super User

Blade: Yinhe V14 Pro
FH: Harder Chinese rubber
BH: Softer Chinese/ESN rubber
I play with SP on BH but I've once tried Yinhe Saturn Pro and liked it. It comes in Medium and Soft versions so you could choose the one that suits you more.

I don't think that rubber tackiness means more spin sensitivity. In fact, it's easier for me to return serves with tacky rubbers compared to tensors since they aren't bouncy in short game.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2019, 22:50 

ziv wrote:
I play with SP on BH but I've once tried Yinhe Saturn Pro and liked it. It comes in Medium and Soft versions so you could choose the one that suits you more.

I don't think that rubber tackiness means more spin sensitivity. In fact, it's easier for me to return serves with tacky rubbers compared to tensors since they aren't bouncy in short game.

I'm also testing with SP but so far no luck, that's why going back to a control inverted.

The problem with researching is that I get a lot of conflicting info, I was 100% sure that 999 Super 999T will help my backhand as it was tacky, slow and also quite good at looping but today after a bit of research I find that tacky rubbers are also sensitive to incoming spin like tensors.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2019, 01:36 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I suppose it depends on your level. And perhaps on your blade. At my level Yinhe 9000 works very well, but so would, say, Batwings or T88 or Corbor (all the $5 sheets are similar to each other, more or less). If I wanted something slightly faster, maybe Mercury II (still around $5). This is contrary to Chinese pro practice of using Tenergy 05 on the backhand, but I'm not a Chinese pro. :lol: If you're looking for a spinny rubber that doesn't react to spin.. er, I think that's a fool's errand. What makes a rubber spinny is what makes it react to spin. There might be tiny differences in reaction to spin but it's minor. These rubbers are all about 5 bucks a sheet so there's not much harm in trying them out.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2019, 02:28 
Super User

999 is the grippiest rubber on Earth. So yes, very sensitive to spin. Try something more forgiving like Focus 3 Snipe.

On the flip side (from a penholder's perspective). Shakehands greatest strength is the backhand topspin, I wouldn't give up spin producing abilities for an easier time.

Practice more, all serves can be returned.

I'm practising shakehand lately and chose short pips forehand but the spinniest and fastest rubbers I can control on the backhand.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2019, 04:38 
Super User

The 999 Super 999T, is one of the tackiest rubber out there .. Tacky rubbers, are very spin-sensitive, which would defeat the purpose, for you ...

lasta wrote:
Try something more forgiving like Focus 3 Snipe.

I second lasta's recommendation, and am I'm using Focus 3 Snipe (Max, around 41°) .. awesome rubber.. You could use a softer sponge variant..

Some other China-made rubbers, I'd recommend are ..

• Palio AK-47 Blue
  • Palio AK-47 Yellow
  • Palio Macro Era (If still available)

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2019, 05:18 
Super User

Blade: BTY Viscaria
FH: Tibhar MX-P
BH: Tibhar D.TecS
Have you tried G-1 on your BH? I'm currently testing it and I find it great on both FH and BH. Way more forgiving than T05. Quite spinny and really fast when you access the higher gears.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2019, 05:27 

mart1nandersson wrote:
Have you tried G-1 on your BH? I'm currently testing it and I find it great on both FH and BH. Way more forgiving than T05. Quite spinny and really fast when you access the higher gears.
tried it as soon as i bought the bat and even now but it's not working out for me. But it fits perfectly for me in forehand.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2019, 05:33 

lasta wrote:
999 is the grippiest rubber on Earth. So yes, very sensitive to spin. Try something more forgiving like Focus 3 Snipe.

On the flip side (from a penholder's perspective). Shakehands greatest strength is the backhand topspin, I wouldn't give up spin producing abilities for an easier time.

Practice more, all serves can be returned.

I'm practising shakehand lately and chose short pips forehand but the spinniest and fastest rubbers I can control on the backhand.
i love looping with my backhand but it's not strong enough to win rallies for me, so I'm thinking I'm better off pushing with my backhand and pivot and use my forehand. Also serve return is a huge headache for me, so i thought maybe I'll kill two birds with one stone and get a control backhand rubber. I'll look at focus snipe 3.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2019, 05:34 

What do you guys think of Spinlord Marder 2? Heard it's a slow chop rubber.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2019, 10:08 
Super User

For good long term development: Keep the Rakza and work on technique.

For a cheap way out against basement players: get some long pips.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2019, 13:51 

lasta wrote:
For good long term development: Keep the Rakza and work on technique.

For a cheap way out against basement players: get some long pips.

I thought about long pips also but i dont want to completely lose the ability to use my backhand for attacking.

I like attacking with Rakza 7 but for now i like to have some control in returning serves and hitting with confidence in backhand during games.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2019, 13:56 
Super User

If you are set on this path, why not switch to penhold?

Forehand is better. In every way. Pick what's best for forehand, and backhand has to cope with whatever is there.

One less thing to worry about.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2019, 05:10 

I play a 999T, normally on the forehand but I also twiddle.
I can loop pretty consistently with it with the backhand, but the loops are completely harmless. This rubber needs a very aggressive stroke to produce a somewhat dangerous ball, and I can't do that with a backhand.
I don't think spin sensitivity is a problem. Those tacky rubbers tend to neutralize spin, IMO. I have a lot less problem with incoming spin than with Tensor rubbers.
Probably a good compromise rubber would be a Tibhar Vari Spin, a jack of all trades, master of none rubber. Yes, it's slow as well, but I think it'll probably still play easier compared to a 999T on the backhand. It used to be a quite popular backhand rubber, before most people switched to Tensors.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2019, 05:18 

Blade: DHS Hurricane Hao II
FH: DHS Hurricane III NEO Pro
BH: Nittaku FastArc-G1
My feeling was Rakza 7 and G1 are both pretty insensitive to spin. R7 probably a bit more even.

If I were really into tensors I’d play G1 on FH and R7 on BH.

...but I agree with the prior mentioned: stick with your rubber and practice your technique.

If you must change (for better control), I’ve had success switching from R7/G1 on my BH to Skyline 3-60. It’s slower, and tackier which allows for easy spin and looping for me (penholder - RPB). You can go even slower with Hurricane 3-50. With that said...as they’re tackier top sheets, it might worsen your problem with service return. In the end, you need to work on your spin recognition and return technique.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk