OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 12:34

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Mar 2007, 07:04 
Heavy Looper

I'm sure I have told you this on other forums, but the tackiest friendship topsheet is SP. For pure spin get the God Favoured sponge. For good spin with speed get the Transcend or Hero sponges.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Mar 2007, 07:19 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Yes the SP is tacky, as are some of the older style 729 rubbers like 729FX.

Globe 999 (standard version) is very tacky... Globe magicwand, Galaxy Mercury/Venus... probably many others...

I think he needs to think about what other properties he wants in the rubber, since tackiness really only defines the top surface of the topsheet, not the rest or the sponge...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Mar 2007, 07:35 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

speedplay wrote:
He wan't what everyone says you shouldnt want, a tacky topsheet with a soft sponge. Magnificiant spin abilities at the cost of speed I guess. I have suggested the globe 999 as extremly tacky, but the 42 degree sponge might feel to hard for him. How about the Tulpe 007, have you tried it? I think that is the one he is really tempted to try at the moment. What kind of sponge does it come on and how tacky is the topsheet compared to the other's mentioned here?

In general tacky topsheet with soft sponge feels very slow and mushy. W have Globe 999 40deg, even that is not that fast.

If he want magnificent spin at the cost of speed FOR LOOPS, than that's what he had with the XT.

The 007 is quite tacky, but the 868 is probably more spinny and a little slower. They don't feel ultra tacky to me, which is probably why they have decent speed. I've only tried the 40-43 deg version, but we've ordered softer ones...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Apr 2007, 16:13 

I don't think it is worthwhile to chase after tackiness. Tackiness will subside very soon. I got a new LKT XP stuck on a blade exposing to air hoping tackiness to die down before I can play. Tackiness kills speed which is a huge tradeoff. Hurricane 2/3, RITC Geospin Tacky, etc, are tacky but not after a short while. If you like tackiness, be prepared to stick a new one every time you play.
---------

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Apr 2007, 16:26 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

If you keep the rubbers clean, and always re-apply the plastic protection sheets, rubbers can remain tacky for years.

the LKT XT is only very mildly tacky to start with, so it gets hard to stick the protection sheet to it. However for this rubber most of the spin is mechanical, so it does not need to be all that tacky.

I personally prefer tacky rubber, because I can get much more spin on my serves... this is harder for non-tacky rubber. I agree that if rubbers are too tacky, it will slow them down significantly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Apr 2007, 21:14 

We've found Geospin Tacky and 729 Super FX to both be really tacky. The Geospin has quite a few hours on it now and remains very tacky, but we treat our rubbers with pure silicone everytime we play. It seems to make a difference over straight water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Apr 2007, 22:09 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Headspin wrote:
but we treat our rubbers with pure silicone everytime we play. It seems to make a difference over straight water.

Wow I've never heard that one before! The rubbers seem to last OK? Does it change them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Apr 2007, 22:37 

TT rubber is made from silicone (in part) and using the pure stuff is great for them. Not only does it not change them but it helps them stay in their original condition much longer, at least that's been our experience. Some people have complained that Armour All leaves a residue, and that may be true, but I use the pure silicone from the automobile detailing sector.
My favorite rubber, at the moment, is a black 2.2 Inspirit and I've been using it heavily for a few months now (and we play everyday), but it's still near it's original shape. A better example is my son's cream/mrs still as spinny-- almost tacky-- and new as the day he started using it, also months ago. I just got some on a sponge and keep it in a zip-lock bag.
Give it a go, it's great stuff. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Apr 2007, 23:09 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Where can you get the pure stuff? Is there a particular name or brand?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Apr 2007, 00:36 

I'm not sure about brand because the stuff I have is in a gallon jug and is labeled for a detailing company I once dealt with, not by the manufacturer (too bad you didn't live closer, I'd just give you some). I'd say the best bet to get some for free is to find an auto detailing company and take the boys a round of coffee, then pull out your sponge and ask for a spongeful in return. It will stay good in the ziplock bag for damn near ever and it only takes a tiny amount to treat a rubber. If they're good guys they may even give you a little jar of it. You never know until you ask. It's used for treating tires, dash, etc. It's great for rubber of any kind. The pure stuff is just like skim-milk, or white coloured water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Apr 2007, 07:47 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Thanks for the tip Headspin!

Where are you from?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Apr 2007, 01:58 

I'm in Canada.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!