OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:48

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 464 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Training rubber
PostPosted: 17 Jul 2014, 05:29 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
iskandar taib wrote:
Hmmm.. what to make of this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4x-Yasaka-New-E ... 4ac81b7c44

Yasaka New Era training rubber in plain transparent sealed plastic packs (like the Haifu training rubber). Who are these for? They don't seem to fit the "cheap schoolkid training rubber" profile, like the 729 Batwings or 868 twinpacks, nor are they something elite players would use, like Whale/Shark. Or maybe there are clubs/provincial teams that use it as a backhand rubber?

Iskandar

I actually got a couple sheets of that last year and I can tell you, that stuff is SLOW with a capital S.

Well worth learning some loops where you have to provide more OOMPH to get it over and in.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2014, 18:52 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Well, I hit a little bit today with the Mercury II. As expected it's a little slow (with the 37 degree sponge), a litle slower than Yasaka ZAP with the same sponge hardness. The surface is non-tacky, the topsheet is beautifully transparent (reminds me of Sriver). Yeah, I could loop with it but it wasn't that great. All in all, I'd say it's about in the same class as 729 FX, Corbor and 828, just a little slower. (None of these are bad, but there's little to choose between them.)

Yinhe Mercury II

red 62.23g 165x165mm 0.231 g/cm2

Iskandar

Last edited by iskandar taib on 18 Jul 2014, 01:36, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Palio Emperor Dragon
PostPosted: 17 Jul 2014, 19:13 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

The rubber I like the most so far, that seems like it's better than anything I've tried, is a sheet of Palio Emperor Dragon that I got from someone who was selling "random Dragon" sheets (see the post on the first page). But as things go, I started wondering if this was the same as the Emperor Dragon you get in the vacuum pack. So I ordered a sheet.

ImageImage

First thing I noticed - the sponge is hard - 42-44 degrees on the package. It's also a darker orange than the other sheet I have. Hmmm.. And then, when I took it out...

What's this?? It's BOOSTED. Er, TUNED. It's got a layer of glue on the back, and a sheet of thick plastic, just like Whale. Does it say ANYTHING about being tuned on the package? Maybe that green Chinese sticker..??? So maybe it's NOT a Biotech sticker like Eacheng says? And I know Biotech does NOT mean tuning, since those sheets of Biotech ZAP and CJ8000 were NOT tuned.

Anyhow.. I mounted it on my spare N-11 blade and, well.. dissapointing. Kept missing with it, though flat hits worked faily well. Switched back to my usual blade - night and day. I noticed that while the new sheet of Dragon is slightly tacky, the old sheet was a great deal more tacky.

Other Palio and Yasaka sheets I've gotten had a lot of "dish" to them, this one doesn't. It's quite flat.

This one will get a shot of Seamoon before I give up with it. Then I'll ask Eacheng if it comes with softer sponge. (Update: It does, but only in red - 40-42.)

Meanwhile, I've ordered another four sheets of the Generic Dragon, and I still have the red sheet from the last order..

Palio Emperor Dragon 42-44 sponge tuned

black 63.16g 167x166 0.230 g/cm2 46.42g cut 201.86 sq. cm

Iskandar

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2014, 13:16 

Just want to say, to me, what constitutes a training rubber is a rubber that fits the purpose of what you want to focus your training on. The rubber does not have to be perfect on non-training related aspects, as that would be a match rubber. If you want to train on every basic strokes, the an all round rubber is ideal - not too fast and not too thick.

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2014, 22:36 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Donic Baracuda Big Slam
BH: Victas Triple Regular
I found Mercury ii to be typical chinese tacky rubber. Surprised you say is non tacky. Mine was black. Table Tennis db says medium tacky, I'd agree.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2014, 02:56 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Well, it seems less tacky than, say, 729 FX or 999T. It certainly doesn't want to pick the ball up, like you can supposedly do with Hurricane.

Iskandar

Last edited by iskandar taib on 19 Jul 2014, 03:01, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2014, 03:00 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

HitHitHit wrote:
Just want to say, to me, what constitutes a training rubber is a rubber that fits the purpose of what you want to focus your training on. The rubber does not have to be perfect on non-training related aspects, as that would be a match rubber. If you want to train on every basic strokes, the an all round rubber is ideal - not too fast and not too thick.

It's not so much what _I_ think is training rubber, it's what the manufacturers call it. It seems there's two types - one is really inexpensive, packaged and sold so cheap that even schoolkids can buy it with lunch money. The other type is "pro rubber" (usually Haifu Whale or Shark, but also other sorts like Yasaka ZAP) sold in clear plastic wrappers for less than half the usual price, these are probably factory seconds. Not everything I've mentioned here is training rubber - Emperor Dragon definitely isn't. ZAP isn't, either (unless you get it in the clear plastic packets).

Iskandar

Post subject: Dawei 2008 SPXL
PostPosted: 31 Jul 2014, 19:51 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

OK, so this isn't actually training rubber, but it was, at one time, cheap. There's been quite a bit of talk about it so I decided to get a sheet. Found it locally for about $9 and saved on shipping. Eacheng has it, both through their website and on ebay, for about the same price. I emailed them, they say you can get it in "40-42" sponge and also 43. Though, it turns out - mine has 40 sponge, so I don't know if Eacheng meant 40, 41, 42 and 43. Maybe I'll email them for clarification.

Comes in a printed manila folder, packaging is a cut above most you come across. Not vacuum sealed.

Now the bad news:

Dawei 2008 Super Power XL

red 77.22g 166x167.5mm 0.2803 g/cm2

OUCH that's heavy. Heaver than T88. just a little lighter than Whale. I'll mount it on a blade tomorrow to see how it plays.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2014, 21:19 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Got a chance to hit with the Dawei 2008SPXP today. I put it on my Yinhe 896 blade (which had a sheet of Tuned Shark on the other side). This blade is supposed to be a looping machine, the Shark is meant to be a Looping Machine Rubber, but I haven't been too impressed so far. It takes quite a bit of touch to get loops and counter drives to go where you want. So was the 2008SPXP an improvement? Not really, about the same. Not that the rubber was bad or hard to handle, but it wasn't superlatively great either. After I put this blade away I went back to my N11 with Emperor Dragon and ZAP - both boosted. This combo felt a great deal better, I was getting a lot more of my drives and loops to connect. To be fair, I should try those sheets on my other N11 blade. Or replace the ZAP with the 2008SPXP on my current blade.

Did the rubber feel heavy? Yes, the 896 with the 2008SPXP was noticebly heavier than the other blade, but not enough to be bothersome.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2014, 22:58 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Donic Baracuda Big Slam
BH: Victas Triple Regular
Well done mate. Yes sp xp known to be heavy.

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2014, 02:06 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Tried a new combo today. I took the Yinhe 896 blade and put my favorite rubber on it - Palio Emperor Dragon, from the guy who was selling it in plain bags (I think it's got 40-42 sponge, but it's not marked other than what I think mean "medium hard"). The other side had a somewhat neglected sheet of CJ8000 with 36-38 sponge. This is almost identical to my primary setup - a Yinhe N-11 with Emperor Dragon and Yasaka ZAP 36-38 on the backhand. The difference is that the rubber on the N-11 is Seamooned, er, DingJi'd. The N-11 is about 6.5mm in thickness, has a thick core (which I suspect is Paulownia) and two very very thin plies on each face, the outer ones being Meranti. The 896 blade is a little thinner, but has a narrower core and thicker outer plies, though not as thick as on some other blades I have (729 A3 for instance). Not sure what wood. These two are among the cheapest blades in Yinhe's catalog - in fact the N-11 is the very cheapest one (the N-10 is the same price).

The N-11 feels great, I can easily loop against backspin, counter drive, do fast loops against topspin. Flat hits feels especially sweet. Pushing is OK, though not exactly great.

Compared to this - the 896 has more vibration, and seems a lot slower. I was putting a lot of balls in the net until I adjusted. Loops take more effort. Pushing, however, was VERY nice. So was chopping. And lobbing (I'm terrible at lobbing and just plain dinking balls back, but with this combo I was making a lot more of them than usual).

I've pulled the rubber off the 896, and they're now stewing in the DingJi. Maybe another coat tomorrow morning, and if it's dry by the afternoon I'll try hitting with it again.

I still like the N-11 better. Next blade I buy will be the HRT 2091 (the Clipper clone), just to see what all the talk is about - a lot of people rave about this blade.

Gee.. this turning into an equipment blog, isn't it. Iskandar's Cheap Chinese Stuff.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2014, 20:38 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Just ordered a pair of these weird things:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shi ... 74220.html

Yinhe 9000 is also sold in the normal rectangular form (anyone know the difference between D andE?), these, I suspect, are surplus from Yinhe's ready made bat department. Looks vacuum packed. According to Yinhe's catalog:

9000 has more speed and spin than Mercury, so it should be worth a shot.

The sheets are still, I think, bigger than the blade and will require trimming. Figuring out area is going to be a pain in the neck (to get areal density). Now here's the interesting part. On Yinhe's web site there's these photos:

That, folks, is sponge. Lots and lots of sponge. Some of it is apparently cut or molded to this shape BEFORE the topsheets (also of this shape??) are attached! Here it's being sliced to thickness:

Whatever else you might say about Eacheng (most of it good, I hope), they do seem to have access to all this fascinating stuff that the industry manages to generate and then probably gets rid of through back channels. 729 with large pores, funny-cut rubber, Haifu training sheets....

Iskandar

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2014, 21:19 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Palio quality control sucks! I just received a sheet of Emperor Dragon 40-42 Biotech (because I wanted to see if this is the same stuff I bought a while back from the "generic Dragon" guy). Here's what I found. The sponge is NOT the same color. This stuff is darker orange, exactly the same color as the 44-46 sponge I bought earlier that I didn't like. And worse - it's got almost as much "dish" as the Yasaka ZAP and CJ8000 sheets I bought earlier (all other E.D. sheets have so far been flat). AND about a half square inch of the topsheet (luckily, in one of the lower corners!) is detached from the sponge.

I guess I'll Seamoon this before I try to attach it to a blade just to flatten the sheet out. Maybe it's got so much dish because it's MEANT to be boosted??? Grrrr...

Wonder what the "B" is for. Biotech? Or maybe there's three types of Emperor Dragon topsheet, much like there's three types of CJ8000 topsheet (with different thicknesses). Maybe that's what it says in the table on the back of the cover:

(Can someone who reads Chinese verify?)

If this is the case, then buying E.D. anywhere is hit or miss - it's all in the same packaging, all you can ask for is a specific sponge hardness.

Palio Emperor Dragon 40-42 biotech sponge

red 57.82g 165x163mm 0.217g/cm2

Iskandar

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2014, 15:23 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

729 with the large pores - first look.

I ordered a couple sheets a while back, only the red showed up today.

Topsheet looks just like the usual 729 Super FX, the sponge is quite different. The area below is 2cm x 2cm.

729 Super FX with large pore sponge

red 63.98g 170x174mm 0.216 g/cm2

One hope was dashed right away. It's not very light at all, though it's slightly lighter than the usual 729 Super FX:

red 62.37g 166x164mm 0.229 g/cm2

(The sheet is heavier but is larger in size, slightly less areal density.) It does FEEL softer, though. Won't get a chance to try it out until I get back from Thailand late next week.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2014, 20:41 
Super User

iskandar taib wrote:
I don't think they're low quality at all (even when you get to the, uh, questionable ones, as we shall see later). What I think they are is rubber marketed to those with lower income - mainly students buying rubber on lunch money, or (Chinese) factory workers, and such. Or perhaps to institutional purchasers such as schools and youth clubs (who would stock them in the school bookstore or club pro shop). In the last two weeks, I've seen packets of General Sponge 729 in Chinese bookstores, at prices quite a bit higher than you'd find on AliExpress, but QUITE a bit lower than you'd see for the few sheets of Tibhar on the same shelves. Butterfly rubber was pretty much non-existent (kids can't afford it).

Why would they sell high quality rubber (I suspect the General Sponge stuff is identical to 729 in individual packs) at a lower price? To sell more of it. Wouldn't it eat into sales of the more expensive but identical stuff? It might, but not if you convince the general public it's not as good!

It pays to sell the same stuff with minor differences in packaging or appearance at different price points to different people. Is there a huge difference between all those types of topsheet 729 sells (729, 729 FX Super, 729-1, 729-2, 729-3....729-n)? There may be, but I doubt it. Why does Eacheng operate three or four separate "shops" on AliExpress? Marketing. An extreme example. Those of you who were PC enthusiasts in the early 1990s probably remember a trade rag called PC Week. You got it for free if you filled out a huge questionnaire. In each issue (every week!) there would be about a dozen to fifteen ads for PC clones - all from purportedly different shops. The PCs in the ads all looked different - - different grilles and bezels and nameplates. Yet, all of these ads were from two companies - Everex and PCs Unlimited (which later changed its name to Dell). Why bother with this subterfuge? It sold more PCs.

Makes you wonder about the other end of the scale - "National" rubber!

I rubbered up the C3 (ALL+) this afternoon with a sheet of Corbor and a sheet of 828. To tell the truth, there was little difference - both were great for looping (when I didn't miss the ball altogether.. :oops: ), serving and hitting, lousy for pushing (the sponge is just way too thick, I often ended up pushing too high or too long). It's that 2.2 sponge at work. The 828 actually has 2.0mm sponge despite what's on the packet, I measured it, it was a little better for pushing than the Corbor. Both felt soft compared to the sheets of 729 I've been trying before this.

Iskandar

Interesting thread, esp. I think for those outside china. Btw, the prices are even lower in china, often <10rmb (~2usd).

The reality is that TT equipment is generally pretty low tech. Sponge rubber and clamped wood (& simply composite) pieces. Nothing compared to microelectronics which are by all rights far more sophisticated and still cheap in bulk. $50+ for a small piece of rubber when a CPU or SOC sells for that much; what is this a fashion item? The materials are worth maybe $1 or 2 for anything but the really high end designer polymer.

For fun I've tried quite a few popular chinese rubbers and IMO the best value seems to be Galaxy/Yinhe. They vacu-wrap and seem to have some semblance of long term QC, esp considering you can get sponge of varying accurately labeled hardness. Their best rubber for the price is Mars II, which is ~25rmb or ~$5, so still <$10 after factoring in some foreign market markup. It's on the same sponge as the Moon/Sun tenergy wannabes, but those are about double the price for some reason (still less than H3neo). All of them are non-tack.

The Mercury 2 you pictured above is also a decent rubber for like 10rmb, plays similar to the classic H3 though a bit less versatile and doesn't last as long (but more consistent in QC). I have some faster blades (OFF) that are too hard to control close to the table with Mars and I put this stuff on to dick around with.

--
Also btw, any of this stuff is good enough for standard inverted close-mid attackers at less than high level. I've swapped to somewhat faster Mars2 since I need to loop away from the table with a slow blade for modern def., but otherwise Mercury which is similar to any other cheapo rubber & same speed as unglued h3 works fine. Chinese juniors can use this stuff and blow away all but the top 1% players in the US.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 464 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 31  Next