OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 16:28

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 464 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Training rubber
PostPosted: 13 Feb 2017, 23:41 
Super User

Blade: DHS PowerG-9 OFF++
FH: Yasaka Rakza X
BH: Palio Thor
iskandar taib wrote:
More non-training rubber! Here's something I've wondered about for a while - Tin Arc. Recently, in another thread, someone said Tin Arc was much like Tenergy (64, I think it was) so I decided to get a sheet. Fairly expensive, I paid $19+ for it. Ended up getting Tin Arc 3.

Comes in a pack like this:

Boy, that's classy. Nice, thick manila card, sort of a brushed-steel look, you can see the embossing. You have to tear a strip off the back to get at the rubber. Quite unlike the folded packaging H3 comes in, I wonder if it's older stock.

Nuts.. they cut the corners off. Makes calculating areal density more of a pain. That sponge looks Tenergy-ish.. :lol: There was a web site in France that was making a case that DHS was ripping off topsheets of Tenergy and gluing on Hurricane topsheets for certain players - all because someone showed up with deep orange sponge like this.

DHS Tin Arc 3
black 68.00g 164.5x170mm 0.251 g/cm^2

A little porky. Good thing I've got a light blade, still trying to choose a backhand rubber. (Isn't THIS supposed to be a backhand rubber? :lol: )

Comes with an interesting insert:

Anyone read Chinese?? I'm wondering what it says.

Feels soft, non-tacky under the protector sheet. The proof will be in the playing, of course. Will go on Sanwei M8 #8.

Iskandar

I pasted the image into Yandex image OCR and it vomitted text that I couldn't make head or tails of |-) :headbang:
https://translate.yandex.com/ocr

Edit: Got some interesting results from Translate Google App on android.

Blue side says:

strong sticky

high density

small diameter bubbles

hole wall thickness ? ( thick topsheet ? )

friction way of the main ( mainly for loop play ? )

low ( sound ? )

Yellow side says:

:lol: :swear: :headbang: A lot of badly translated words

gold bow --- astringent work --- I think strongly grippy ? ( is what I am guessing )
slightly sticky

soft touch

low-density ( more porous ? )

large diameter bubble hole

hole Wall thin

impact way of the main

crisp ( sound ? )

1. FH/BH-YRakza9/XOmegaVT
    2. FH/BH-TSP Spectol/Yinhe Qing OX
  • 729 Bomb C-P : FH/BH-DHS H2 Orig/DHS H3 Orig
  • TSP Versal :
    1. FH/BH-XOmegaVA/YJupiter-II
    2. FH/BH-*blank*
Fun blades:
  • Yasaka Battle Balsa(ST) : FH/BH- DHS TG2Neo/Gewo HypeXT 47
  • Dr. Neubauer
    High Technology
    Cypress-Carbon(ST)
    ***************************** : FH/BH-YRakza7/YRakza7
==========================================================

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2017, 00:39 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Isk,

Der Echte and I have a friend at NOVATTC, a chopper, who absolutely loves this rubber on a Joo blade. He 90% attacks with it. Switched from Tenergy and Hurricane because of the control on loops. He's around 2000, been as high as 2100.

I hit with it, but it was hard for me to really discern the control as I was not used to the Joo, but it sure seemed nice.

Why are you switching from the Batwings? It's the perfect rubber I thought? :lol:

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2017, 02:00 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I'm not switching from Batwings.. I'm trying something new. :lol: Actually my setup for the last few months - since last August - has been a Sanwei M8 with Training Whale and Yinhe 9000 and I'll continue using it. Why do I want to try Tin Arc? Mainly curiosity. What's so different about it? It can't be hard to handle, DHS puts it on pre-mades. Coming up for testing, also, are Kangaroo and Eagle (remember those? :lol: ). Why them? They were on sale around Christmas for $6 a sheet.. :lol: Kangaroo's normally >$20.

And I have a gazillion M8 blades now.. :lol: (Because THOSE were on sale over Christmas..)

The left side clearly has Hurricanes - 2, 3, and a pair of Skylines. The right side seems to be Tin Arc 3 and 5 (no 4 of course.. :lol: ), and Gold Arc (must be a REALLY GOOD rubber - $50!). I was hoping there'd be specific info on Gold Arc, but the listed items seem to be the shared properties of each group (the right hand ones are supposed to be "glue effect" rubbers like the Tensors and Tenergy). Maybe this IS old stock (note the creased corners of the package) - no H8 mentioned. Then again maybe they printed 200,000 of these sheets and have to use them up before they can print some new ones listing H8 and H3-50.

I'll have to get this Google Translate app for my phone, if it can do OCR it should be nice for reading, say, signboards in Thailand. I wonder if translate.google.com does OCR.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2017, 03:01 
Super User

Blade: VKMO
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Victas Spectol S1
I've tried Tin Arc 3 before, on a friend's paddle. It was a Chinese Penhold paddle with Hurricane 3 on the other side. I didn't like it, but that's because I'm used to soft rubbers :3 From what I remember, it's nothing like Tenergy 64.

Rating: Recreational Player

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2017, 05:12 
Super User

Blade: DHS PowerG-9 OFF++
FH: Yasaka Rakza X
BH: Palio Thor
iskandar taib wrote:
I'm not switching from Batwings.. I'm trying something new. :lol: Actually my setup for the last few months - since last August - has been a Sanwei M8 with Training Whale and Yinhe 9000 and I'll continue using it. Why do I want to try Tin Arc? Mainly curiosity. What's so different about it? It can't be hard to handle, DHS puts it on pre-mades. Coming up for testing, also, are Kangaroo and Eagle (remember those? :lol: ). Why them? They were on sale around Christmas for $6 a sheet.. :lol: Kangaroo's normally >$20.

And I have a gazillion M8 blades now.. :lol: (Because THOSE were on sale over Christmas..)

The left side clearly has Hurricanes - 2, 3, and a pair of Skylines. The right side seems to be Tin Arc 3 and 5 (no 4 of course.. :lol: ), and Gold Arc (must be a REALLY GOOD rubber - $50!). I was hoping there'd be specific info on Gold Arc, but the listed items seem to be the shared properties of each group (the right hand ones are supposed to be "glue effect" rubbers like the Tensors and Tenergy). Maybe this IS old stock (note the creased corners of the package) - no H8 mentioned. Then again maybe they printed 200,000 of these sheets and have to use them up before they can print some new ones listing H8 and H3-50.

I'll have to get this Google Translate app for my phone, if it can do OCR it should be nice for reading, say, signboards in Thailand. I wonder if translate.google.com does OCR.

Iskandar

Yeah google Translate app does do sign-reading and ocr :-) But I am not sure if other than real-time if it will allow you to "scan" and "save" docs :lol:

1. FH/BH-YRakza9/XOmegaVT
    2. FH/BH-TSP Spectol/Yinhe Qing OX
  • 729 Bomb C-P : FH/BH-DHS H2 Orig/DHS H3 Orig
  • TSP Versal :
    1. FH/BH-XOmegaVA/YJupiter-II
    2. FH/BH-*blank*
Fun blades:
  • Yasaka Battle Balsa(ST) : FH/BH- DHS TG2Neo/Gewo HypeXT 47
  • Dr. Neubauer
    High Technology
    Cypress-Carbon(ST)
    ***************************** : FH/BH-YRakza7/YRakza7
==========================================================

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2017, 13:09 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Forgot to mention - there's something about sponge at the bottom. Apparently #20 and #22 sponge for the Hurricanes and #50 and #60 for the Arcs. Wonder what it says, exactly - apparently #20 is associated with SOMETHING 2 and #22 with SOMETHING (Hurricane??) 3. Isn't #22 supposed to be the magic blue sponge that comes with National Hurricane 3 though??? Why is it orange here?? :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2017, 23:48 

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
iskandar taib wrote:
Forgot to mention - there's something about sponge at the bottom. Apparently #20 and #22 sponge for the Hurricanes and #50 and #60 for the Arcs. Wonder what it says, exactly - apparently #20 is associated with SOMETHING 2 and #22 with SOMETHING (Hurricane??) 3. Isn't #22 supposed to be the magic blue sponge that comes with National Hurricane 3 though??? Why is it orange here?? :lol:

It's probably the category number for the awesome-super-magic formula with which they make the sponge. I have heard there is real dragon's blood and the souls of fallen warrior-heros from the Tang and Han dynasties built right in! Gold Arc of course has more of it than the other rubbers...hence the price.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2017, 12:39 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

By the way, here's the thread where Tin Arc was equated with Tenergy (80, it turns out).

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=30119&start=15#p330648

Looking forward to trying it this weekend... :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2017, 02:12 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Did some hitting around with the Tin Arc 3 today on a 82 gram M8 blade with 9000 on the other side (this wasn't the lightweight 9000 out of the 2 pack but either D or E, can't remember which, which was pretty heavy). Flipped the racket around to see if I could tell the difference, indeed there is one. The Tin Arc produces a fair amount more topspin in loops, so much so the loops were landing fairly close to the net rather than at the baseline if I used the same stroke. I suppose this is what people mean when they talk about "throw" or "arc". Other than that I can't really tell, the difference is subtle. This bat was very controllable in a game, good for pushes and serves. Can't tell if the serves were any spinnier than usual. I'm not particularly impressed because I'm not inclined to be these days when it comes to rubber - I've come to realize there isn't any magic rubber that will make all my shots go in.. :lol: I'll try the Tin Arc on the backhand side tomorrow (that's what it's meant to be used for, after all). It's a heavy rubber, I wonder if it'd work on both sides but I'll need a light blade (I've got lots of them now, though).

On a good note - the N11s turns out to be very N11-like. If it is an OFF blade like it says on the face, then the N11 was an OFF blade as well. I put a couple of relatively light sheets on it (Palio Emperor Dragon (generic) and 729FX) and the weight came out about what my old N11 rackets came out with heavier rubber.

One more bat to try out tomorrow, a 84 gram 6.5mm M8 (blade #11) with Emperor (generic) Dragon and Yinhe 9000.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2017, 04:02 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Matsushita Pro
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Dawei 388D-1
My (somewhat limited) experience of DHS rubbers is that they start off very hard. I have found this with H2, H3N, Skyline TG3N, G888 and H8. However, I grew to deal with this. And after a few weeks, they start to soften up, which is accompanied by a drop-off in tackiness (although this can be maintained by care in cleaning and storing). Taking them off the blade, then leaving to rest for a while, and then re-fixing them, without any booster or speed-glue, seems to accelerate the softening process.

I am currently using H8 (FH) and Tibhar MX-P (BH), but am looking to move away from the tensors, which seem to shrink annoyingly over a period. But I don't have anything like the same power on my BH as FH, and need help from the rubber. So I ordered some Gold Arc a couple of weeks ago. Although I probably won't use it for a while, I'll try to report on it at some point. My hope is that the Gold Arc will last a long time. If I ever start to play in a serious context, like in a full time league position, I'll have to stop these experiments, but till then, it's consequence-free fun.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2017, 18:50 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Just wondering why Tin Arc sells for a little under $20 and Gold Arc is over $50.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2017, 21:24 
Super User

New is always better, or at least always more expensive? I suspect the prices will level out somewhat later. I paid about £33 per sheet for Gold Arc 3, whereas the Tin Arc 5 is about £26 from the same dealer (GH Sports), although Tin Arc original is £17. £33 is in line with the European tensors, so I can live with it, although, unless I notice heavy benefits, I may well revert to Skyline, or go with Hurricane 8 on both sides.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2017, 22:08 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Tin Arc 5 is the newest one of the three - came out last year or the year before that. Gold Arc has been around for a while. No Tin Arc 4, of course.... :lol: Bad feng shui...

Iskandar

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2017, 09:22 
Super User

The major cost difference is probably due to the Japanese made topsheet on the Gold with Chinese sponge. I believe that the Tin is all Chinese.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2017, 13:08 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Interesting. Didn't know it had a Japanese topsheet.

I wonder if Tin Arc SMELLS anything like Tenergy.. :lol:

I was trying to look this up on DHS's web site, can't seem to find it. I thought this was it:

http://www.dhs-tt.com/en/rubbers

and then I noticed (if you click on Contact Us) they're in Estonia.. :lol: Note that Gold Arc isn't listed, neither are 666, Dipper and others.

Iskandar

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 464 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 31  Next