OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 18:21

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Re: Xiom Omega V Asia
PostPosted: 30 Dec 2015, 04:45 
Super User

Very hard to extremely hard rubber from the limited time I've tried it.

Flat drives very well,but not much arc on the loop.

Seems very insensitive to opponents topspin and chop.

Not a heavy loopers rubber for sure. Flattish loopers and flat hitters might like it.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2015, 19:08 
Super User

Blade: AfroBro Custom
FH: Rasanter R53
BH: Vega X
mac33 wrote:
Very hard to extremely hard rubber from the limited time I've tried it.

Flat drives very well,but not much arc on the loop.

Seems very insensitive to opponents topspin and chop.

Not a heavy loopers rubber for sure. Flattish loopers and flat hitters might like it.

You're not brushing enough IMO. It suits a brush looper (perhaps coming from tacky chinese) more than a loop driver. Arc is much higher when brushing with power.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2016, 18:01 
Super User

Sorry,I think it's this rubber I tried. It has written on the pack-- extremely hard--- and it is. The hardest rubber I've yet tried.

I find this rubber to be very insensitive to spin. Has no tensor effect. You only get what you put in.

I now prefer it on my backhand. It has plenty of grip to brush loop the ball and the extreme hardness makes punching the ball easy.

http://www.tabletennisdb.com/rubber/xio ... -asia.html

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2016, 20:56 
Super User

Yes, it's got a 50 degree sponge but a soft topsheet. Definitely feels hard, low catapult, bit dead when playing flat shots. Arc is much higher when brush looping though. I've used it for several months on the fh side. Suits an effort brush looper more for sure.

OTOH, I can't use it on my BH because I prefer more catapult there, so I use Omega V Euro. YMMV, as ever.

For a good comparison, MX-S has the same hardness sponge but a harder topsheet. Nowhere near as effective when brushing but awesome on the drive.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2016, 20:33 

Hey all,

We also reviewed this rubber in our blog recently: http://blog.tabletennis11.com/xiom-omega-v-pro-euro-asia-tour-reviews

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2016, 01:13 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
I still really love this rubber. I am primarily a brush looper on the forehand and it can generate a tremendous amount of spin. It seems to really excel at side spin. And now that I am playing with the Donic Defplay Senso blade, I am flat hitting and blocking better than I ever have. For having such a hard sponge, it had decent touch in the short game as well. And I'm playing with it in max thickness.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2016, 01:48 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
dwruck wrote:
I still really love this rubber. I am primarily a brush looper on the forehand and it can generate a tremendous amount of spin. It seems to really excel at side spin. And now that I am playing with the Donic Defplay Senso blade, I am flat hitting and blocking better than I ever have. For having such a hard sponge, it had decent touch in the short game as well. And I'm playing with it in max thickness.

Darn it! I had JUST ordered a replacement sheet of the Omega IV Asia which is all chewed up. Had I seen this comment I'd have bought the Omega V instead. Just too nervous to stray from the familiar. But I like harder sponges in the short game personally. Dwruck, you don't chop I assume, right? Since you play a version of Seemiller grip...

I am really curious as to how it chops. I love the Omega IV Asia because of the sponge hardness, and think that a harder sponged tensor would be even nicer. When I dropped down in hardness, to Vega Asia, I really didnt' like how mushy it was.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2016, 01:45 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
You are correct, I do not chop with it. I try to push as little as possible also. I focus on trying to loop as much as possible, and it blocks and flat hits like a dream.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2016, 02:00 
Super User

Blade: OSP Ultimate II
FH: Xiom Ω VII Asia Max
BH: Xiom Ω VII Asia Max
Don't know if I agree that it suits a brush looper more - I'm primarily a loop driver but will throw in a brush loop occasionally and it works well for me either way. Friend of mine tried it and didn't think it was as spinny as T05. Maybe not but I also think it's partially his technique and/or his new ALC blade. His previous blade was an all wood so he may be more used to more dwell time. Also, Omega V Asia is not tacky at all. If H3 is a 7 or 8 on tackiness, OVA is a 2 or 3.

On backspin serves, I am able to get people to net the ball frequently.

On loops, depending on the player's level, I can get the player to wiff the ball, or the ball will hit their knuckles/finger, or the ball will go flying off the table when they try to block/counterhit. This was something that didn't happen or rarely with Vega Asia.

I find OVA to have very good control. I'm finding it gives me increased confidence in staying close to the table and blocking and counter hitting/looping, especially against brush loopers.

Anyone who prefers playing with a harder sponge i.e. Chinese rubbers but finds them difficult to play unboosted would probably like OVA.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2016, 03:54 
Super User

GMan4911 wrote:
Anyone who prefers playing with a harder sponge i.e. Chinese rubbers but finds them difficult to play unboosted would probably like OVA.

To Japsican (concerning OVA) and others, some random stuff:

I never boosted S2 but just VOC glued. Most similar to freshly VOC glued S2 non-NEO 39d, not saying better or worse, just "most similar":

1. XIOM Tau red - testing A-B-A-B, I felt was practically identical to the above, including great suitability for dropping the ball short, and requiring a lot of effort to play with.
2. XIOM Tau black - my second one was heavier and a little juicier than the above. Could be just production tolerance.
3. VS>401 - The "throw" is low on thicker blades (but is better in this regard on thinner blades, as expected) so it's easy to hit straight with it. It takes more work (like Chinese style rubber) to extract the performance from this than from OVA. 1.8 is even more sharp and straight-hitting; I preferred 2.0 on a YEO but 1.8 would probably be heavenly on a thin blade (but only if you like this sharp and hard behavior).
4. OVA - quite a bit juicier and noticeably softer than 401 so I went to 2.0 and even 1.8 to get the crispness back. OVA is a little harder to aim straight because it's more active and juicy than 401, but I still like it very much.
5. MX-S - This is a great rubber but it isn't like S2. It's closer to a hard and low-throwing Tenergy than to S2.
6. OIVA - Too soft for me. I dismissed it immediately (as an S2 substitute).

I still think about OVA 1.8 and S2 every time I wish 401 were lighter.
Mounted weights with a gap on HHao:
401 2.0 52g
401 1.8 50g
OVA 1.8 48g
S2-39 42g < This number nags me and almost overrides all of the above research.

My most frequent opponent has OVA 2.0 on a YEO. I can switch between that and my 401 2.0 on e.g. HHao with no trouble at all, and my competitive results are about the same. There's the usual tradeoff: OVA is a little easier to "activate" with the plusses and minuses that go with that, but nothing like Tenergy. My style is all-around I guess; if you want the sharpest aim for chopping and placement I think 401 is better. My chopping - such as it is - was developed on 401, and it's working great, so I dread changing. But, today, right now, I'm going to mount S2 on a HHao and try to rid my mind of one of these!! Goodbye! :-)

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2016, 09:51 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
GMan4911 wrote:
Don't know if I agree that it suits a brush looper more - I'm primarily a loop driver but will throw in a brush loop occasionally and it works well for me either way. Friend of mine tried it and didn't think it was as spinny as T05. Maybe not but I also think it's partially his technique and/or his new ALC blade. His previous blade was an all wood so he may be more used to more dwell time. Also, Omega V Asia is not tacky at all. If H3 is a 7 or 8 on tackiness, OVA is a 2 or 3.

On backspin serves, I am able to get people to net the ball frequently.

On loops, depending on the player's level, I can get the player to wiff the ball, or the ball will hit their knuckles/finger, or the ball will go flying off the table when they try to block/counterhit. This was something that didn't happen or rarely with Vega Asia.

I find OVA to have very good control. I'm finding it gives me increased confidence in staying close to the table and blocking and counter hitting/looping, especially against brush loopers.

Sounds very much like Vega China

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2016, 16:29 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
AndySmith wrote:
Yes, it's got a 50 degree sponge but a soft topsheet. Definitely feels hard, low catapult, bit dead when playing flat shots. Arc is much higher when brush looping though. I've used it for several months on the fh side. Suits an effort brush looper more for sure.

OTOH, I can't use it on my BH because I prefer more catapult there, so I use Omega V Euro. YMMV, as ever.

For a good comparison, MX-S has the same hardness sponge but a harder topsheet. Nowhere near as effective when brushing but awesome on the drive.

Would that be for the new "Omega V Asia DF", or for the original (without DF) version?

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2016, 19:03 
Super User

haggisv wrote:
AndySmith wrote:

Would that be for the new "Omega V Asia DF", or for the original (without DF) version?

As far as I know, they're both the same rubber. All the packages I've ever had of OVA (I've got 6 here from the last few years) have "Dynamic Friction" in the bottom left corner, but the topsheets don't mention it at all, and don't have the flashy DF logo thing. The ITTF registration doesn't refer to it as Omega V Asia DF either, and there hasn't been a new version registered with them.

Xiom do some confusing things, so it's hard to say for sure. My guess is that they've just rebranded the range to pull together the naming of the rubbers in line with recent "DF" releases, meaning "poly ready", or whatever. This would be a bit confusing though because (for example) Vega Euro and Vega Euro DF are really different rubbers with different sponges and topsheets.

Coincidentally, I ordered two new sheets this week and I was told that "these rubbers are no longer on the supplier list, instead there are ones with the same name but with a DF at the end - is this OK"? When they arrive next week I can do a direct comparison, but I'm not expecting anything different if I'm honest. Or maybe that's just what I'm hoping for.

rokphish2 wrote:
GMan4911 wrote:
Sounds very much like Vega China

In some aspects, but OVA isn't tacky at all. The topsheet is very grippy and the behaviour is very linear, so at the table you can use them in a similar way for similar results, apart from short game and service where there are some obvious differences due to the lack of tack.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2016, 19:29 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Thanks AndySmith :up:

Yes you might well be right, although the distributor people I deal with told me they are different, and they are also listed seperately on their list... but it's certainly possible it's only packaging/re-branding.

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2016, 13:43 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

AndySmith wrote:
As far as I know, they're both the same rubber. All the packages I've ever had of OVA (I've got 6 here from the last few years) have "Dynamic Friction" in the bottom left corner, but the topsheets don't mention it at all, and don't have the flashy DF logo thing. The ITTF registration doesn't refer to it as Omega V Asia DF either, and there hasn't been a new version registered with them.

Doesn't mean it's not different. To add a logo to the topsheet, it'd require re-registration in the LARC. If they add some extra treatment to the topsheet to modify the friction without changing the "printing" apparently that's OK. One example of this is Sanwei A+ - it comes in tacky and non-tacky versions, yet there's only one entry in the LARC (62-012).

Iskandar