OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 09:25

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2015, 05:22 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Hello all,

I have been gravitating to a CLASSIC defensive style. Chtchetinine is just amazing to watch!

I have tinkered with thinners sponges in the past, but this was before I really developed a FH chopping stroke. I had some decent success with Reflectoid in 1.5mm.

However, I would like to hear from those who have tried TSP triple spin chop, and BTY tackiness chop. Also on my radar is Juic Elite Def. I need spin as serving is a big part of my game.

I have tried Giant Dragon Submarine, and liked it, but didn't like the throw angle on fine brush loops. I really liked the reflectoid for chopping specifically.

So here's what I want:
-A spinny 1.0mm or 1.5mm forehand chopping rubber with great control for chopping first and foremost
-Great spin on serves (this is a must, big part of my game).
-Must block very well (also a big part of my game)
-A high enough throw angle for a fine brush loops.

From Haggisv's review, the TSP seems the best for me so far, but I don't have a lot of data.

2nd question, 1.0 vs. 1.5mm.
Knowing that a lot of classic defenders like the 1.0mm, is there a predictable quality to the bottoming out of the sponge that makes 1.0 superior to 1.5? My thoughts are that a person using the 1.0mm is going to EXPECT the bottoming out, whereas 1.5mm sponges may or may not bottom out depending on the power of the ball you are striking.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

Last edited by Japsican on 11 Feb 2015, 04:54, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2015, 11:57 
Super User

If I use double inverted like T05 and a thin rubber on a Defplay, I'd go 1.1 Tackiness C on bh. a bit slower than TSP, with better control
If I use lp & inverted combo for ''classical def.'' , I'd go TSP Triple Spin ( on fh)
or I'd go Victas 401 1.5 mm. ...with 401 it's easier to produce high spin than TSP, this rubber is even more "spinny"...so much less bottoming up and 401 is considerably faster than TSP and 401 is a lower throw rubber with less curve when you make topspin( but no problem)...with 1.8 mm. 401 I can easier get even more spin...
bottoming up is no problem for a classical defender...you brush/rub the ball more than hitting..
with a 1.0 mm rubber you can really really cut the hell out of the ball...this is what Chtchetinine does with his fh...and bh...

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2015, 13:06 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Butterfly Timo Boll OFF
FH: Friendship 802-40 2.4mm
BH: Dawei388C-1 Medium pip ox
Hi Japsican!

I appreciated the things that deva said, and Tackiness Chop is slower than the TSP.

I played with 1.7mm Tackiness Chop the last 2 weeks......it is an AMAZING chopper with a can't miss feel....but IMHO it's too slow for looping. It is slower than Reflectoid.

The Tackiness Chop is the most accurate chopper I have ever used. I have focused on inverted chopping rubbers, trying about 8 of them the last 3 years, and Tackiness Chop is certainly the slowest one.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2015, 17:49 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence Alpha
FH: Donic Slice 40 CD 1.5 mm
BH: LKTStrgr+KokBLuJap 1.1 mm
2nd Tackiness Chop or Tackiness Chop 2 as great chopping rubber. :)

Tack Chop 2 1.1 mm is my favourite for chopping and blocking, s~o easy, almost never fail. :)

The reason now I am using H3 Control 2.15 mm is, well, I do need to learn to loop and drive. ;P

Note. Seriously thinking of replacing the sponge of my H3 with 1.5 mm later when deciding to go back to pure chopping. :)

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2015, 23:05 

Thanks guys.

I didn't specify that I am using the rubber for my forehand, but because I was comparing to Chtchetinine, it was probably obvious. Why then, do you all think Chtchetinine prefers the 1.0mm..

Glennholder, why did you move away from 1.0mm to 1.7? Do you feel that the Tackiness C is too slow to get your chops deep enough? I saw in another post that you tried reflectoid, but I see you have moved on from that. What were your thoughts on the 1.0mm.

Full disclosure, I bought a sheet of the 1.0mm Reflectoid because it's cheap and I figured I'd try it out in the thinner sponge to see how that goes...it's cheap enough for an experiment. For the long term, if the Reflectoid doesn't work out I can always then bite the bullet and buy a sheet of TSP Triple Spin Chop, or the above recommended BTY Tackiness Chop.

As for the Tackiness chop, have you all ever tried it on the forehand and in different sponge sizes?

Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2015, 23:37 
Super User

I have tried tack chop 1.5 mm, 1.7 mm, and tack chop 2 1.1 mm, 1.9 mm, on def alpha. :)

As most other rubber, chopping became easier and more dangerous on thinner sponge.

Furthermore, I need to chop a lot flatter (face facing more up) due to super high launch. On tack chop 2 1.1 mm, can be ~ 70 to 80 deg open.

On thicker range, looping is easier. Note that def alpha loop is very flat, especially when using tack 2, so looping with it shall always difficult, but hard to return either. :)

Looping is impossible for me using less than 1.5 mm. :)

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2015, 01:49 

BeGo wrote:
tack chop 2 1.1 mm, 1.9 mm, on def alpha. :)

I don't see 1.1mm thickness anywhere...the smallest sponge for either tackiness chop or chop 2 I see is 1.5mm. Maybe this is just in the US?

BeGo wrote:
Looping is impossible for me using less than 1.5 mm. :)

Yeah, I can imagine. I wonder how Chtchetinine does it? He loops with 1.0 TSP Triple Spin Chop on the rare occasion that he attacks.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2015, 02:36 
Super User

Well, it written both on the sponge and original case. :mrgreen:

I cant read Japanese, but apparently, there is thinner Tack 2 (0.9 mm?). :)

But then yes, I bought mine in around 2007, back then in Bandung, Indonesia, a long time ago, and have yet to find one again. Yes, I have use it for a lo~ng time. :D

Only recently I tried H3. :)

And how Shetinine loop, no idea either, but driving is not impossible using thin sponge. :)

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2015, 04:21 

Wow. I wonder why I can't find the 0.9 -1.2mm version in the US. Where did you buy it?

For anyone in the US, do you know where I can get the thinnest sponged version of the Tackiness Chop (1)?

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2015, 04:28 
Super User

Japsican wrote:
Wow. I wonder why I can't find the 0.9 -1.2mm version in the US. Where did you buy it?

For anyone in the US, do you know where I can get the thinnest sponged version of the Tackiness Chop (1)?

There a table tennis store in Bandung, Indonesia. That where I bought it back then. :)

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2015, 16:16 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Butterfly Timo Boll OFF
FH: Friendship 802-40 2.4mm
BH: Dawei388C-1 Medium pip ox
Japiscan asked:

Glennholder, why did you move away from 1.0mm to 1.7? Do you feel that the Tackiness C is too slow to get your chops deep enough? I saw in another post that you tried reflectoid, but I see you have moved on from that. What were your thoughts on the 1.0mm.

My response: I'm using the 1.7mm Tackiness C just because it was the only sheet I had in stock. I have never used a Tackiness C thinner than 1.5mm. I prefer the 1.5mm.

And...Reflectoid is IMHO the best Chinese chopping rubber I have ever used. And I found the 1.5mm Reflectoid was more forgiving (more accurate) for chopping than the 1.0mm. This is because chopping is often "rushed" because the incoming ball is very dangerous, and the 1.5mm seems to give me more control in a rushed situation. The 1.0mm required more perfection for me to be accurate. But....different players are different!

:Chop:

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2015, 22:40 
Super User

Japsican wrote:

This question is old but for for everyone's info, http://butterflyonline.com/contact/special-orders/ (U.S.) *says*: "Whether you need a hard to find rubber thickness, an obscure handle style, or a blade you can’t even pronounce…..if Butterfly still makes it, we can get it! Simply fill out the form below providing us with a short product description and where you saw the Butterfly item. We will contact you with a quote and an approximate delivery date."

One very good place to tell them where you saw apparently any Butterfly item is http://www.butterfly.co.jp/ . It's in Japanese but you can follow the graphics. For example see: http://eshop.butterfly.co.jp/html/item/ ... m1387.html . Black Tackiness Chop 1.1 is the last item in the dropdown list, which you can figure out by looking at the graphics.

I haven't tried it. I believe they can do it but I wonder about the price and the delivery time. Let us know if you try it.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2015, 01:16 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

BeGo wrote:
Japsican wrote:

There a table tennis store in Bandung, Indonesia. That where I bought it back then. :)

Their web site:

http://indopingpong.net/

Iskandar

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2015, 23:07 
Super User

Well, not Indo Pingpong. The store called Flicks, but they also sold out the thin Butterflies, "too expensive, wont sell"

And basically most store chains here taking less Butterfly product other than Tenergy.

I still need to ask Sinar Surya (Butterfly Indonesia) though, He may still have some

Sent from my T1X Plus using Tapatalk

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!