OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 04:33

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2015, 04:59 

Omut wrote:
Spin-sensitive rubber is nightmare for passive strokes. Tenergy 05 is one of the worst for passive play.
IMHO for passive play slower rubbers are better if balanced with faster blade.

As mentioned above, it really helps with these rubbers (including hurricane mentioned) to massage the ball on blocks. Going straight forward is easiest, but going to the sides isn't much harder and the sidespin can catch napping opponents off guard.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2015, 08:13 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

Roy wrote:
carbonman wrote:
If the throw is high why not just close the angle accordingly?

Because of slow reflexes (and partly lack of mobility) I often could just put the blade on the way of the ball. That goes for the block and for the emergency fishing as well.

But when one plays one does not have a static bat angle. One is constantly changing the angle according to the speed, spin, trajectory etc of the incoming ball. Thus, if a rubber you are using has a high throw, just make the necessary adjustment as you would for any ball.

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2015, 01:32 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
carbonman wrote:
Roy wrote:
carbonman wrote:
If the throw is high why not just close the angle accordingly?

Because of slow reflexes (and partly lack of mobility) I often could just put the blade on the way of the ball. That goes for the block and for the emergency fishing as well.

But when one plays one does not have a static bat angle. One is constantly changing the angle according to the speed, spin, trajectory etc of the incoming ball. Thus, if a rubber you are using has a high throw, just make the necessary adjustment as you would for any ball.

In my experience, a point comes with Tenergy 05 when passive blocking hits a wall when dealing with high levels of spin and you need to do something to the ball to affect the heavy topspin. Closing the paddle is insufficient and for Tenergy 05, gets pretty ridiculous unless you have courage. You have to do something (press, wipe, counter etc.) to make the block work. But this is my experience - higher level players know better.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2015, 05:36 

irenic wrote:
Well, on that vid you misread/hit the ball so badly that no rubber is going to help much.

I was told this post is "tactless" and therefore worthy of a ban. Draconian views aside, here's why it's probably the most valuable comment in the thread. When players look for equipment fixes for something, it's usually due to an upstream skill deficiency. If someone has to emergency-block often, it usually means they're not control the ball well enough leading up to the attacking shot and leaving the table open, and/or they're anticipating too late for the level they're playing at. Maybe a different rubber will make doing that kind of block bit easier so you might get an extra return here and there (maybe at expense of something else), but doesn't address what is causing the problem.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2015, 21:58 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
irenic wrote:
irenic wrote:
Well, on that vid you misread/hit the ball so badly that no rubber is going to help much.

I was told this post is "tactless" and therefore worthy of a ban. Draconian views aside, here's why it's probably the most valuable comment in the thread. When players look for equipment fixes for something, it's usually due to an upstream skill deficiency. If someone has to emergency-block often, it usually means they're not control the ball well enough leading up to the attacking shot and leaving the table open, and/or they're anticipating too late for the level they're playing at. Maybe a different rubber will make doing that kind of block bit easier so you might get an extra return here and there (maybe at expense of something else), but doesn't address what is causing the problem.

I agree that it did seem tactless. With both this account and your last, you seem to be a magnet for conflict Agenthex. Perhaps the fact that so many people object to your communication style should clue you in to the fact that you need to exam it. I tell you this not to start yet another conflict, but rather hope you become more self-aware of how you come off. But sure, claiming something is draconian is certainly simpler than trying to take responsibility for your own words. I'm certainly guilty of it at times...

As for emergency-blocks, everyone at every level finds themselves needing to do an emergency block... even Ma Long. Defenders are even more prone to this because by the very nature of the style, since the attacker initiates the attack first we are "reactive." You can only get in to correct position and anticipate tragectory, spin, etc. so much, because every attack has multiple possibilities. Watch any defender in the top 200, you'll see emergency strokes quite a bit...block, chop, or chop blocks.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2015, 00:33 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Maybe I am misremembering but didn't the ball actually go on the table in that video?

Roy is an advanced enough player that I would treat his request as being more specific to him than as being a function of broader technical issues. He has already posted video that puts his style and relative lack of mobility on full display. There may not be a solution within his constraints, but there might be. I mean, if a 2100 player tells you he is struggling to get the same dip and raw spin he gets with Tenergy 05 with Omega IV Pro, do you tell him his technique is at fault? Or do you accept that T05 does certain things better than Omega IV Pro?

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2015, 02:13 
Super User

Blade: Sanwei F3 Pro (=TB ALC)
FH: Tibhar MX-D max
BH: Hellfire X/Dtecs ox
NextLevel wrote:
Maybe I am misremembering but didn't the ball actually go on the table in that video?

Yeah, it did... 8)

I was in a tournament yesterday... Under 2000 rating class. I lost in the final, 5. set 14-12.

Blade: Joola CWX
FH: T05 max
BH: Cropcircles ox (rubber has lost most of it's grip)

I am the guy in black outfit (against yellow shirt player)

I am the guy in black outfit (against blue shirt player, semi-final)

I am more satisfied for my play and equipment than before in this autumn. CC seem to be best pips for CWX and FH worked decently.

Blocks and fishing went decently enough and those shots were not very important anyway (compared to importance of FH attack and BH pushblocks).

For now on I am going to continue with T05, as the other rubbers seem to have bigger downfalls... (Rakza 7, H3N, Grip-S E Soft).

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2015, 09:20 

Japsican wrote:
irenic wrote:
irenic wrote:

I agree that it did seem tactless. With both this account and your last, you seem to be a magnet for conflict Agenthex. Perhaps the fact that so many people object to your communication style should clue you in to the fact that you need to exam it. I tell you this not to start yet another conflict, but rather hope you become more self-aware of how you come off. But sure, claiming something is draconian is certainly simpler than trying to take responsibility for your own words. I'm certainly guilty of it at times...

As for emergency-blocks, everyone at every level finds themselves needing to do an emergency block... even Ma Long. Defenders are even more prone to this because by the very nature of the style, since the attacker initiates the attack first we are "reactive." You can only get in to correct position and anticipate tragectory, spin, etc. so much, because every attack has multiple possibilities. Watch any defender in the top 200, you'll see emergency strokes quite a bit...block, chop, or chop blocks.

What I see is a few who cannot stand disagreement with them, and make complaints or excuses to get their way. There are many members here but relatively few posts, maybe because people don't feel comfortable in that environment.

2000 rating is frankly not that great, and maybe being overly impressed by it is the problem. A quick look at the video shows Roy doesn't position the ball well to control the return, waits to react to the shot, tends to move late. This is simply not feasible against higher levels opponents, and needing a lot of emergency blocks is the natural result especially if movement doesn't come easy. These are all very common problems and the reasons why the game gets harder for amateurs beyond that, especially if they're looking for equipment solutions. What I mean is you see people practice/play a lot to get OK consistency get to around that point, and cannot evaluate their game honestly to get beyond. There's no sin to trying new rubber, but it doesn't solve the causes.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2015, 10:44 

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
irenic wrote:
What I see is a few who cannot stand disagreement with them, and make complaints or excuses to get their way. There are many members here but relatively few posts, maybe because people don't feel comfortable in that environment.

Perfect example. :roll:

irenic wrote:
2000 rating is frankly not that great, and maybe being overly impressed by it is the problem. A quick look at the video shows Roy doesn't position the ball well to control the return, waits to react to the shot, tends to move late. This is simply not feasible against higher levels opponents, and needing a lot of emergency blocks is the natural result especially if movement doesn't come easy. These are all very common problems and the reasons why the game gets harder for amateurs beyond that, especially if they're looking for equipment solutions. What I mean is you see people practice/play a lot to get OK consistency get to around that point, and cannot evaluate their game honestly to get beyond. There's no sin to trying new rubber, but it doesn't solve the causes.

Can you post a video demonstrating how Roy should have done it? I'd love to see you in action...what with you being so overly unimpressed by a 2000 rating. You must be a amazing.

I think where you diverge from the spirit of this forum..or any forum to be honest... is that you speak to everyone as if they have (or should have) aspirations of becoming a world ranked player. That is not the case. Most people here (probably including yourself) are adult learners who may have picked up a paddle well past their childhood. It's important to know your audience. The friction that follows whether here or on other forums, is no coincidence Agenthex.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2015, 11:56 

My post is about table tennis, not what you think about this person or that. Maybe try to think why everyone else interested in discuss table tennis don't care for that.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2015, 18:50 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Japsican wrote:
Can you post a video demonstrating how Roy should have done it? I'd love to see you in action...what with you being so overly unimpressed by a 2000 rating. You must be a amazing.

I think where you diverge from the spirit of this forum..or any forum to be honest... is that you speak to everyone as if they have (or should have) aspirations of becoming a world ranked player. That is not the case. Most people here (probably including yourself) are adult learners who may have picked up a paddle well past their childhood. It's important to know your audience. The friction that follows whether here or on other forums, is no coincidence Agenthex.

Let it go, Japsican.