OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:25

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2015, 16:29 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
As I ordered the latest shipment from Xiom for OOAK shop, I noticed that for some of the Omega V rubbers there were two version available, the regular version and the "DF" version. For example there is the “OMEGA V TOUR (DF)” and “OMEGA V TOUR”.

I asked Xiom about this and they told me the DF version is the latest and upgraded version, and DF stands for Dynamic Friction. Both versions were designed with enhanced grip for the plastic balls. The DF versions are supposed to "help control the ball direction better during games". I don't think it's a major change, and the packaging is exactly the same, you can only tell by the "DF" on the sticker on the back of the packet.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2015, 02:21 
Chop the Ball not the Beard!
Chop the Ball not the Beard!

Blade: Victas Matsushita
FH: hybrid k1 euro
BH: Curl p1r 1.0
Everyone that is a modern defender was hopping that DF means a Def version of the attacking rubbers...
I am one of those...

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2015, 03:14 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
manofan wrote:
Everyone that is a modern defender was hopping that DF means a Def version of the attacking rubbers...
I am one of those...

Me too. I contacted Xiom USA a while ago and that is what they told me...doesn't mean Defense, means Dynamic friction as HaggisV said. Lame.. :^)

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2015, 15:11 
Super User

It is funny that brands come up with these names. I believe it is done for the sake of branding and trademark rights. DF in table tennis is known for defensive, now XIOM have used the term Dynamic Friction and have trademarked it probably. Any cool or trying to be cool term, companies will either rename it or trademark it. Even if the technology is really similar.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2015, 20:27 
Super User

Blade: AfroBro Custom
FH: Rasanter R53
BH: Vega X
Looking at the latest LARC, there are definitely two new "DF" rubbers coming soon - Vega Europe DF and Vega Asia DF. I wonder if these are going to be using the new-gen ESN topsheets you see on Acuda Blue and Quantum.

For the older Omega V range, I don't understand what Xiom are up to. If Omega Tour "DF" was using a modified topsheet (compared to the original Omega Tour) then it would have to go through ITTF approval again (and maybe they have done that?). It could be a change of sponge, but that doesn't make sense when "DF" refers to topsheet friction. So maybe it's just a repackaging effort to bring all the rubbers with "DF" properties into line with each other. Omega V Euro and Omega V Asia already have Dynamic Friction logos on their cardboard sleeves, but Omega V Tour and Omega V Pro don't (last I saw anyway).

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2015, 19:37 
Super User

This blog has the first pics of Vega Europe DF that I've seen:

http://world-tt.com/blog/yu/

From the spotty translation it looks like the sponge hardness is down to 37.5, like Rasant Beat.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2016, 22:03 
Super User

Just to keep this ticking along, Vega Europe DF is out now. I've ordered one, but I have read that the sponge is 37.5 degrees, which is mega soft obviously (and that Vega Asia DF is 42.5, which is a surprise too).

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2016, 22:20 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Are you saying that the DF version of the rubber has a softer sponge? :o

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2016, 23:03 
Super User

haggisv wrote:
Are you saying that the DF version of the rubber has a softer sponge? :o

Apparently so. I guess that they'll be quite different from the originals, despite the name. It's just so...Xiom.

Will have more info when the rubber arrives, obviously.

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2016, 01:12 
Super User

Here is all I know:
My OVA 2.2 and 2.0 said "Dynamic Friction" on the front of the cardboard, their weights were consistent with approx 50d as advertised, and their feel also seems about right to me. I trust that they're 50d.

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2017, 11:43 
Super User

Blade: Timo Boll Spirit
FH: H3 neo 40 Degrees
BH: Tenergy 05
I've tried the vega Asia DF version 2.0 thickness
having change to all wood blade i can't really compare it to my omega 4 pro or asia,
will probably move the rubber to my barwell fleet sooner or later and have a go at proper comparson.

What i can say is compare to vega pro which i use to have on clipper cr wrb last time ( im using h long 3 now same composition but probably diff characteristics)

asia df is higher throw
bouncier
easier for passive blocking
im not sure bout sponge hardness, but definitely softer than both omega 4 pro and asia.

it might be the combination of the blade and rubber, but this combo doesnt suit me the best i prefer active bh flicks and loops vs the passive blocking and flat smashes.