OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:16

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2016, 05:44 

I would like to re-glue one of my tensor rubbers onto a different blade. The tensor rubber has hardly been used, and was originally glued about a month ago.

If I put it on a new blade, will the tensor rubber under perform or should it perform as normal?

Rubber is Andro Rasant Grip.

Thank you,
Tyler

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2016, 14:44 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
The rubber will shrink when you remove from current blade, so you will have to find a way to stretch it back to size on new blade. I've done this with rasant using some clamps with cardboard protecting the rubber to hold it while the glue dries. But once its back in shape, it should play as normal. Just take a lot o care not to damage the rubber or compress it too much when clamping it. You want the least pressure you can apply to hold it in the place you need. That does mean compressing the rubber somewhat, but it will spring back to shape when gluing is dry. I just wouldn't over-compress it.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2016, 06:48 

Fascinating I never would have thought to use clamps...

How much did you stretch your rubber with the clamps - i.e. just so that the rubber is fairly taut?

Did you simply clamp one edge down, stretch another edge and clamp it down, and so on until you have 4 or 5 clamps surrounding the blade?

Thanks for the ingenious recommendation!

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2016, 16:06 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

I believe I just stretched it enough to re-fit the blade. I replied to your PM, but for others benefit I only used 3 clamps, ensuring the rubber held down well and level with the blade at each clamp point. 4 or 5 clamps might be better if you can fit them to the blade. Just ensure the clamp doesn't bite into the rubber by using some cardboard in between it and the rubber. I believe I glued it wet and let it dry in the clamps, but I'm not sure if this is necessary. I found it easier to re-position the rubber to the blade doing it this way though. Let's know how it goes.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2016, 21:51 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Very interesting indeed - I didn't realize there'd be any problem of any sort regluing sheets, tensor or not. Maybe the sheet shrinks over time, whether it's on the blade or not, since it's losing it's "tuning".

I've had my sheet of Rasant on and off the blade at a least a couple of times.. but I've not seen any shrinkage. Maybe because I - ahem - take the sheet off the blade to Falco it. :lol: It's getting to be a year old by now.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2016, 00:10 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Interesting that your sheet has not shrunk Isk. When I removed my sheet (it was a while ago now, so I don't recall why I even did), it shrunk in a big way. The size was probably such that without stretching there was close to a 1cm gap all around.

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2016, 01:04 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

That's a huge gap! The Falco expands the rubber so perhaps that's why I haven't seen the shrinkage. I do have one sheet of Yinhe 9000 I use on the backhand that HAS shrunk quite a bit.

My estimates of how old my rubber is are way off - I THOUGHT the Rasant was something like 4 months old, until I checked my old email messages from Tabletennis11 when I placed the order - they were from last March! I wonder how old some of the other stuff is by now - there's a sheet of Big Dipper I've been using for a while, too. Well, I did just buy a sheet of H3 (been curious about it for a long time) and a sheet of Rasant Turbo I bought at the WTTC, maybe it's time to get them out!

Iskandar

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2016, 03:19 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

Blade: Victas Matsushita Off
FH: Tibhar EL-s 1.9
BH: Victas Curl P1V 1.0
I have the impression that some rubbers even shrink a little while they are attached on the blade...

When taking a tensor off a blade it shrinks indeed, but if you use rubber cement to re-glue it, it will be more or less back to size. If you use couple of layers of a booster it will become larger than the original state.

I assume stretching the rubber will change some characteristics.

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2016, 14:09 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Pipsy wrote:
I assume stretching the rubber will change some characteristics.

It may have Pipsy, but I didn't notice anything. Given I only use water glues I had no choice but to stretch it back.

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2016, 13:54 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Thanks, I'll check.. I just did buy a sheet of Rasant Turbo at the WTTC exhibition hall, though..

Iskandar

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2016, 09:16 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Donic Baracuda Big Slam
BH: Victas Triple Regular
Now I've got a shrunk rubber that I'd like to return to size. How do I apply booster. A bottle of Falco appears quite expensive, nearly the cost of a tensor rubber, is it worth it? Any cheaper booster options?

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2016, 09:48 
Super User

Blade: Acoustic Carbon Inner ST
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Rakza Z
Cobalt wrote:
Now I've got a shrunk rubber that I'd like to return to size. How do I apply booster. A bottle of Falco appears quite expensive, nearly the cost of a tensor rubber, is it worth it? Any cheaper booster options?

Baby oil or paraffin?

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2016, 14:40 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Donic Baracuda Big Slam
BH: Victas Triple Regular
How much and how do you apply it?

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2016, 15:50 
Super User

Blade: Acoustic Carbon Inner ST
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Rakza Z
Cobalt wrote:
How much and how do you apply it?

I've been using Falco Long booster when migrating some rubbers to slightly bigger or different-shaped blades – haven't really wanted to use it on my regular setup, although I did for one backhand rubber when it shrank after removal.

I assume it's the same process for paraffin or baby oil – use a brush that is perhaps 2-3 cm wide, apply a more or less even coat to the sponge, not sparingly but not so liberally that it starts to run off. Leave for a day or so before applying more (you may not need a second application if the rubber needs to expand only a small amount), then let the rubber dome and un-dome over a period of about a week.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2016, 00:23 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Do a search, you'll find all sorts of stuff being recommended - baby oil, olive oil, etc. and lots of people arguing about how effective they are and how some of them ruin the rubber, etc. I'd say if you want to try these, do it on cheap rubber, not a Tensor. If it works on the cheap rubber, then try it on the Tensor.

Since I'm more of a "what the heck does it do" type person, I have no less than FOUR types of no-VOC booster I've bought over the years. I've got Falco (fairly expensive), Haifu Seamoon (quite expensive, too), DingJi (about the same as Seamoon, maybe a little cheaper) and Tuttle (cheap). Can't find the Tuttle anywhere anymore, though - Eacheng seems completely out of glue! Weird.

Anyhow here's one I haven't tried, but it's cheap:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WENDY-SPORT-TAB ... 1221773811

I've been meaning to buy some myself but got sidetracked, besides, I've got too much booster lying around already. Considering the price, I'd say go for it (USD10.50 including shipping).

Hmmmm.. I checked the place I bought Seamoon and Dingji from, they're out of those but they have Dianchi. Not cheap:

http://www.tenryu.com.my/store/Dianchi- ... d=834&in=7

Here's someone in the US who's got Seamoon:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Haifu-Haiyifan- ... 2348401719

Iskandar

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!