OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:04

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 20 May 2016, 20:37 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
Thanks to Alex for the opportunity to test this.

This is the softer variant - I think I read 40 deg sponge somewhere? If so that would be along the lines of the tensor scale. It feels to me (by touch, not play), a little harder than victas v15 limber which is noted also at 40 deg.

Some pictures....

The packet, with tensor-esque symbol in the corner

Domed out of the packet....this made it a little tricky to glue. It didn't smell heavily tuned though, unlike the Tibhar Evolution mxp on the other side that still reeks of factory booster weeks later!

The sponge....not entirely smooth but the pores are very small

The pimple structure...quite thin and tall as you would likely expect from a rubber purported to be spin orientated

Topsheet and sponge look top quality, no blemishes at all and just a light sheen to the topsheet. It feels very grippy, no stickiness, and overall feels medium-soft to the 'squeeze' test.

That's all for now until I get a chance to have a hit with it, probably Sunday.

EDIT 25 May 2016

I have now had four decent sessions with the Regalis Red, including 3 hours yesterday. This soft version of Regalis is for me a backhand rubber, and the reference rubbers are Victas V15>limber. (also 40 degree sponge) and Rakza 7 soft. Generally I use 2mm on backhand so I wondered if I would have an issue with max, but here is the strange thing. It looks and to me also plays like a very thin max. I have Tibhar evolution mxp (2.1-2.2mm - Tibhar use a range) on the other side of the bat and that looks thicker. Other testers, does yours also appear the same?

So, how does it play?

First up it has a lowish throw for this type of rubber. This is a key characteristic and defines the rubber. Certainly lower than the v15 and rakza. It is also more linear than the other two, with a lesser catapult/bouncy effect in the short game. I really like both of these properties, as once you adjust to having to give the ball a little more 'air' it becomes a very safe rubber (for an offensive rubber of this type).

I should say that the short and serving game spin is very good indeed, especially service. Short, spinny backhand serves, even off high tosses (this is a tactic I like to employ to fool opponents that I am going for a long serve!) were consistent and loaded. Even plain backspin variants were catching out players who play me regularly.

Moving into the world of topspin, this is a good and thoroughly competent rubber. I have been struggling to work out whether it is just giving a glue sound (click/crack!)  or whether it is bottoming out on harder shots. Whatever, it is somewhat loud. I suspect the latter as earlier this week when we did some fishing vs 'put away' practice, where I always play forehand, I flipped the bat and didn't bottom out. R7 soft and v15 limber would have done.

Spin in the topspin environment is very good without being exceptional. It is however a very safe and consistent rubber.

Blocking is just superb! Blade angle needs to be sufficiently closed but it just soaks up the spin and speed and sends it back.

So what's not to like? Well, it seems quite sensitive to spin in the short game. Once the sponge is engaged this is not the case, so blocking or topspin to topspin is fine. Also, although quick there are faster options out there. It is almost a half classic/half tensor option. It is linear and rewards committed strokes.

After a few sessions it is unmarked and unchipped.

I like it lots and it is now my main BH rubber.

In summary, v15 limber (V) vs rakza 7 soft (S) vs Regalis red (R)....

Serving R>S>V
Short game spin R>S>V
Short game control R>V>S
Topspin S>R=V
Short game spin sensitivity worse to better R=S>V
Speed .... Not a lot of difference
Linearity R best S worst V middle
Blocking R , S=V
Durability .... Too early to  sure but R and V look best, S is prone to chipping.
Throw (low to high)... R, V, S

Questions welcome......

185g

Last edited by so_devo on 26 May 2016, 07:36, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 21 May 2016, 02:23 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Domed out of the packet? Wow. The blue showed nothing of that. I'll be interested to hear how it hits. I'm using the blue as my primary rubber still/now, as I'm getting the feel of it well, and without using Rasant in direct comparison, it doesn't feel so different that it can't be used as an alternative.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 21 May 2016, 03:00 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

Blade: Victas KMO
FH: Yasaka Rising Dragon
BH: Cloud and Fog III
RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
Domed out of the packet? Wow. The blue showed nothing of that. I'll be interested to hear how it hits. I'm using the blue as my primary rubber still/now, as I'm getting the feel of it well, and without using Rasant in direct comparison, it doesn't feel so different that it can't be used as an alternative.

Still haven't got mine yet! Hopefully early next week! I have some great players of all styles lined up to do a test including myself!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 26 May 2016, 07:37 
Blockhead
Blockhead

First post in thread now edited and updated with review....

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

185g

PostPosted: 26 May 2016, 08:39 
I am Legend
I am Legend

low throw characteristics but requires a closed bat for blocking?

PostPosted: 26 May 2016, 08:46 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Silver wrote:
low throw characteristics but requires a closed bat for blocking?

Yup. I think it is a characteristic of the rubber being a bit sensitive to spin, and the soft sponge soaking up the speed, which is different to it's natural (low) angle in the short game. Does that make sense? I appreciate we sometimes all use different terminology.

EDIT: I'll try to get some video soon if the opportunity arises.

185g

PostPosted: 26 May 2016, 12:30 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

That's "dish". "Dome" is when the sponge expands and it's curled the other way (like you used to get when you used speed glue). I quit using Palio CJ8000 and Yasaka ZAP because of this. One was so bad I ended up with a crease in the topsheet.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 26 May 2016, 17:57 
Blockhead
Blockhead

iskandar taib wrote:

That's "dish". "Dome" is when the sponge expands and it's curled the other way (like you used to get when you used speed glue). I quit using Palio CJ8000 and Yasaka ZAP because of this. One was so bad I ended up with a crease in the topsheet.

Iskandar

Ah OK. Not heard it called 'dish' before. I think we used to term it a 'reverse dome'.

185g

PostPosted: 26 May 2016, 18:46 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

That's because I invented it... :lol:

"Dome" has been around since the old speed gluing days, though - we wpuld stick the rubber on the blade when the dome was fully developed, stretching the sponge. (Sometimes you need a racket press to keep it on if you weren't going to play right away.) So if it goes the opposite way it should be the opposite of a dome (which would be a dish.. :lol: )

Iskandar

PostPosted: 27 May 2016, 01:47 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

so_devo wrote:
Spin in the topspin environment is very good without being exceptional. It is however a very safe and consistent rubber.

Blocking is just superb! Blade angle needs to be sufficiently closed but it just soaks up the spin and speed and sends it back.

I'd concur with this with the Blue. Giving the rubber a little more "air" was certainly the adjustment I had to make. Blocking is very good, although I suspect the red may be even better than the blue (the red is the softer sponge right?).

The blue max sponge looks (from memory) about the same as the green rasant sponge for thickness but then Rasant is 2.1 vs Regalis at 2.2. My mind's eye might not be good enough to see the difference though :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 27 May 2016, 04:15 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Black rubber is regalis red max
Red rubber is Tibhar Evolution mxp 2.1-2.2mm

To me the regalis sponge looks a shade thinner. Not sure if the photo conveys this?

By contrast below
Black rubber is also Tibhar Evolution mxp 2.1-2.2mm
Red rubber is victas v15 limber 2.0

In this case the victas looks a shade thinner, as it should.

185g

PostPosted: 27 May 2016, 10:11 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

If you have a flatbed scanner, set the resolution to 600 dpi and put the edge of the racket up against the platen. Crop the resulting scan, you'll get a nice, detailed photo.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 27 May 2016, 15:58 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

To my eye on the greatest zoom they look about same (Regalis and Evolution), but the Regalis sponge is clearly less dense. I think the blue sponge is much denser than the red.

PostPosted: 27 May 2016, 17:23 
Blockhead
Blockhead

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
To my eye on the greatest zoom they look about same (Regalis and Evolution), but the Regalis sponge is clearly less dense. I think the blue sponge is much denser than the red.

Very difficult to tell, given that the difference between a 2mm and max should probably only be approx 5 to10% (0.1-0.2mm). Doesn't help that the evolution is red sponge red rubber either! It's not that important, main point is that if you're unsure between 2mm and max regalis red, you may well be fine with max.

185g

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2017, 01:46 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I've been going through the Regalis reviews to see if it really is similar to Nexy Karis. What I don't see is the assertions that it's something entirely new in rubber design, which has been said of Karis. Also nothing about amazing control. Regalis is easily available, not the case for Karis. Hmmmm...

Iskandar