OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:03

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2016, 06:42 

I'm a novice and have been using our office premade rackets and using loaners at the club. It's time that I finally get my own. What I understand so far is to get a "slow" racket with "fast" rubbers would benefit me more at my current level. So I'm looking at Korbel and Timo Boll allround category range.

One of the loaners I used had 1.7 rubber on both sides and I loved the control and feel on it. The loaners I usually use has a 2.0 or 2.2 which I generate lots of speed and spin with. I want the benefits of both if I can. The thinner would be used for the backhand, and the thicker rubber for the forehand.

What if I move up from the ALL/ALL+ to a slightly faster ALL+/OFF- racket, will the thinner 1.7/1.8 rubber slow it down enough to still give a similar feel of control of an equivalent ALL racket and 2.0 rubber? Your thoughts on this?

I practice/play everyday for 2-3 hours. I tend to be an aggressive hitter and always attacking when I can. A two wing looper as someone described me as.

With all the various rubbers, I'm so confused. Can you recommend some to me that isn't pro-level and expensive? I don't think I will get to use the full benefit of those.

Thanks.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2016, 09:06 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Donic Baracuda Big Slam
BH: Victas Triple Regular
HI ZeroZero, I order equipment at our club for people that sounds just like you. People are often coming from a sport store or Kmart premade bat and looking for the next step. The latest bat I ordered was a Donic Waldner Allplay with LKT Pro XP 2.0mm. All the best I order are similar. Allround blades with allround rubbers. Often I get comments how much faster it is than what they are used to but they soon adjust.

So I think something like the above will do you fine. Rubbers don't last forever so with the amount you play, you can replace them in about 12 months with something else if you prefer like a moderate tensor, or pips if that suits your style.

I've not had much to do with Butterfly but not aware of a Korbel Allround. I thought it was OFF. There is a Timo Boll All and All+ and also the Primorac OFF- is apparently very good.

Apart from that, the Donic Allrounds are good, along with Yasaka Sweden Extra, Xiom Allround S and Stiga Allround Classic / Allround Evolution.

There are potentially hundreds of chinese rubbers and there is little difference between them despite the marketing so just grab one and play heaps in the next 12 months and go from there.

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2016, 09:17 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

Blade: Victas KMO
FH: Yasaka Rising Dragon
BH: Cloud and Fog III
Welcome to the forum Z's (I hope you don't mind the nick name)!

Great choice on the korbel, that blade can stick with anyone right up to a pro level!

I think the path you are on is almost correct but please allow me to provide a slight alteration. You don't want to buy a slow racket and fast rubbers to begin, what you want to do is find a setup that allows you to do all shots comfortably but doesn't mask mistakes in your technique by being too much of an aid (especially if you are trying to increase your level).

Some forum members may disagree but I always suggest Max rubbers on both sides no matter the level unless...

A) you have a strength problem and need to decrease the weight of the blade.

B) you are a chopper who will chop/loop in a ratio of 300/1 on the forehand.

The feeling of control does not come from the speed of the ball but from the ability of the ball to sink through the topsheet, through the sponge and just be felt gently by the blade. This gives maximum benefit to the play in both speed, spin and control. I will agree that thinner rubbers allow this to happen easier however you will find that you quickly bottom thinner sponged rubbers out (especially with softer variants) which is far worse then not utilizing the sponge fully.

If you still want to avoid Max and are still playing the double looper style then do the 2.0mm, just don't go getting a very soft rubber.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2016, 13:06 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

In the old days beginners were advised to use 1.5mm, and almost no one used max. These days, many rubber sheets are ONLY availabe in max sponge. Why? The 40mm balll.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2016, 16:32 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence Alpha
FH: Donic Slice 40 CD 1.5 mm
BH: LKTStrgr+KokBLuJap 1.1 mm
Yups.

I roughly approximate rubber thickness as loop / block ratio, so

Looper get 1.9 mm or more,

Blocker get 1.5 mm or below,

Chopper and allrounder around 1.75 mm

:mrgreen:

Sent from my T1X Plus using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2016, 00:46 

@ Cobalt
That makes sense regarding the rubbers and marketing. I'm very analytical, and will get paralysis through analysis, but it's kind of stimulating at the same time :oops: With all those blade choices and similarities, I might just end up getting the one with pretty colors :lol:

Whoa I already got a nickname! Thanks Leatherback :up:

History lessons by Iskandar! Hhmm, that makes sense.

Thanks BeGo, I will keep the thickness in mind.