OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 04:17

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2016, 16:02 

Blade: Versal Penhold
FH: Magic Power 1.8
BH: XT Green Dragon 2.1
Hi, just getting back into the game. Penhold twiddler. Need a replacement for the inverted rubber I use for RPB and Forehand.

I want something lighter as I want to eventually switch out my 755 .6mm to a 755-2 .8mm. Light to Medium Tacky appreciated. I am using a Kalinic blade, which I believe has a relatively large surface (meaning heavier weight when rubber is added)

I was looking at KTL Pro XT and the KTL Pro XT Green Dragon (I can't find much info on this one though, but I would expect it to have a harder sponge?).

Although I don't want something too fast, the fact that this is the primary attack rubber for forehand and backhand (since I have long pips on the other side) means I don't want something too much slower than the lightening. I do not tune. I do not speed glue. The most you'll get from me is cleaning the surface after playing. :)

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2016, 16:47 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Welcome to the forum Mawesome Saunce :up:

The KTL Pro XT would be a really good choice. It would generally be lighter and perhaps slightly faster. The lightening is a training rubber, and the consistancy among sponge hardness (and thus weight) is not great, but generally it would be harder and heavier than the Pro XT.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2016, 17:09 

haggisv wrote:
Welcome to the forum Mawesome Saunce :up:

The KTL Pro XT would be a really good choice. It would generally be lighter and perhaps slightly faster. The lightening is a training rubber, and the consistancy among sponge hardness (and thus weight) is not great, but generally it would be harder and heavier than the Pro XT.

Thanks, but I actually visited here 10+ years ago when I was till in college. I just can't remember my login, so I made a new one.

That's one vote for Pro XT. I just wish somebody could tell me the difference between that and the Green Dragon version. I think the Green Dragon has a slightly harder sponge, although knowing how much heavier it is would be helpful. I switched to lightening from the FX-EL because FX-EL was way too slow due to the soft sponge. I'm worried Pro XT will be similar in that without speed glue it will feel like mush.

Sidenote: It looks I fat fingered my forum name. Anyway to have a mod change my profile name? Don't know how the 'n' in SAUnCE got in there... :(

Last edited by Mawesome Saunce on 22 Aug 2016, 17:20, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2016, 17:17 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

The Pro XT is softer but also bouncier/more lively. So it will be faster at lower impact, but as the sponge is softer it will bottom out earlier at high impact.

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2016, 21:08 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

The little bit I wrote about Green Dragon:

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=25211&start=240#p297175

It's definitely very light - something I'd get specifically to use on a heavy blade, perhaps. But it's also fairly slow. Not NEARLY as slow as Ckylin, though... :lol:

Was 729FX "Lightening" that light??? I recall getting a sheet of 729FX with 1.0mm sponge (to make a chopping racket), and it turned out to be quite heavy, which makes me think the weight was mainly in the topsheet, not in the sponge:

729 Super FX with large pore sponge
red 63.98g 170x174mm 0.216g/cm^2
black 60.77g 167.5x174mm 0.209g/cm^2
black 1mm 51.22g 170x172mm 0.175g/cm^2

Iskandar

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2016, 23:24 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I do believe they must use a different topsheet for the lightening and also the supersoft (compared to the original 729FX). The supersoft is especially light, even lighter than the lightening.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2016, 01:35 

iskandar taib wrote:
The little bit I wrote about Green Dragon:

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=25211&start=240#p297175

It's definitely very light - something I'd get specifically to use on a heavy blade, perhaps. But it's also fairly slow. Not NEARLY as slow as Ckylin, though... :lol:

Was 729FX "Lightening" that light??? I recall getting a sheet of 729FX with 1.0mm sponge (to make a chopping racket), and it turned out to be quite heavy, which makes me think the weight was mainly in the topsheet, not in the sponge:

Iskandar

Thanks for the reply. Have you played with the regular Pro XT? Compared to the Green Dragon Variant, is the sponge harder? I've pretty much narrowed my pick down to these two.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2016, 02:21 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I have the regular Pro XT on one blade but I can't remember if I've ever played with it... :lol: Bought it in Bangkok (since I was at the shop I had to buy SOMETHING, this was pretty reasonable in price). I've read it's fairly slow, too - the Green Dragon is supposedly faster. I think the regular Pro XT has the exact same topsheet as the Green Dragon, and apparently the weight savings is due to the really ultra-thin top. (Ironic since the new Butterfly Bryce Speed's "secret" is also supposedly a very thin top.)

I'll post the weight tomorrow, the spreadsheet is at work..

haggisv wrote:
I do believe they must use a different topsheet for the lightening and also the supersoft (compared to the original 729FX). The supersoft is especially light, even lighter than the lightening.

Hmmm.. but it was still 729FX? Was there a separate listing for "Lightening" in the LARC? (Of course we know that the "same" topsheet isn't necessarily the same when it comes to Chinese rubber... :lol: )

Incidentally, if one weren't interested in a light rubber, there's the Big Pore Sponge and the Special Black Sponge versions of 729FX on Eacheng. The former turned out to be very fast - controlling pushes and blocks was a bit of a problem if used on the backhand.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2016, 09:17 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

iskandar taib wrote:
Hmmm.. but it was still 729FX? Was there a separate listing for "Lightening" in the LARC? (Of course we know that the "same" topsheet isn't necessarily the same when it comes to Chinese rubber... :lol: )

Nop, there is not.... but don't tell anyone. :lol: :lol: :lol: