OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 07:29

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2016, 20:58 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
I've been idly thinking about the TSP Triple series of rubbers: Speed, Spin, Power, and how they might function in my game. Not actively thinking - I won't be making any changes to my equipment for the season, but it came up in conversation with a friend.

I currently use SP on my FH, and hit/drive against float and topspin, and play a topspin/lift against push/chop. This works well - blocking is disruptive, hits are skiddy and flat, and the rubber is not very responsive to spin. However, when pushing, chopping, or serving, it also doesn't generate much spin.

I have a sheet of Triple Spin Chop (1.0-1.3), on a slow defensive blade. I've only ever used it a few times, at social club, where I've played classical defence. It's great for chopping, and generates plenty of spin. I was wondering how it would fair as a hitting rubber on my fast blade?

Any experiences / reports on using these rubbers aggressively?

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2016, 03:42 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
LordCope wrote:
I've been idly thinking about the TSP Triple series of rubbers: Speed, Spin, Power, and how they might function in my game. Not actively thinking - I won't be making any changes to my equipment for the season, but it came up in conversation with a friend.

I currently use SP on my FH, and hit/drive against float and topspin, and play a topspin/lift against push/chop. This works well - blocking is disruptive, hits are skiddy and flat, and the rubber is not very responsive to spin. However, when pushing, chopping, or serving, it also doesn't generate much spin.

I have a sheet of Triple Spin Chop (1.0-1.3), on a slow defensive blade. I've only ever used it a few times, at social club, where I've played classical defence. It's great for chopping, and generates plenty of spin. I was wondering how it would fair as a hitting rubber on my fast blade?

Any experiences / reports on using these rubbers aggressively?

LC,

I can give you very specific opinions about this. I love Triple spin chop, HOWEVER, only for chopping and pushing. You need a blade with a little bit of speed even in defense because it's pretty slow. I had trouble reaching the net using it on the Defplay, less so on the Matsushita. But on a fast blade, no problem.

RE: Hitting. You can smash, and you can very fine brush loop. If you go somewhere in between those, you are likely to put it in to the net when it bottoms out. You can do the drive loop stroke (you described above with SP), where you flat hit/lift the ball with the bat open and drive it towards an arc to "loop" it...and it can be effective but has less spin and more pace, so you have to be cautious of going long, or too high making it a sitting duck. That being said, the resulting ball is only slightly more spinny than with SPs I'd imagine, if at all. In flat hitting, the thin sponge makes it feel fast...even though the sponge is dampening, the ball is clearly bouncing off the wood.

For me, it was too hard. more sponge to prevent bottoming out is important to me. that being said...chopping-wise it's amazing, arguably the best.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2016, 04:08 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
One of the uni students used this, on a defensive tsp blade...3.5? He had 2mm on one side (fh) and the 1.3 on the other. He probably plays the most truly allround game I have seen. He could very effectively chop, hit and loop but..... Importantly...... the looping was brush looping. He now plays tenergy and isn't anywhere near as effective with it. I probably have video somewhere. But in answer to your question, yes you can effectively hit (from close to the table) even with a slower blade.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

185g

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2016, 03:02 
LP Collector
LP Collector

For a laugh I chucked a sheet of TSP Triple Spin Chop 1.1-1.3 on a Hiloom, with Pogo OX on the other side. Played with it for the last 15 mins of practice this afternoon. It didn't feel massively different from my 651. I could get more spin on serves, pushes and chops, and I could play a more traditional FH topspin if I wanted, but I could also play flat hits much like the 651, and they didn't seem much slower.

Not a large data set - I probably played 4 or 5 games to 11 (top table) against a range of players (2 or 3 weaker, 1 roughly equal, 1 slightly better). The Pogo felt more different to the Dornenglanz than the Triple Spin Chop did to the 651.

Interesting.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2017, 09:52 
LP Collector
LP Collector

So I used this at practice on Wednesday, and in a match on Thursday. Observations:

- More spin on serves, but not lethally more compared to Degu
- Fine for hitting. Less penetration than Degu, but still enough
- Very nice for driving / topspins - better controlled than the Degu
- Nice for topspin vs chop - providing a brushed nicely - required less effort
- Really nice for blocking - lots of feel and accuracy
- Really nice for chopping - lots of spin and control
- Didn't feel very different in terms of spin responsiveness on service return

On the whole, the only downside is the slight lack of penetration, but that's compensated for with a lovely sense of feel and control.