OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 22:39

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2018, 02:31 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

GR wrote:
Hallmark Power Spin 1 mm rubber is of good quality.

I'm sure it is (at 22 GBP is SHOULD BE.. :lol: ) but is it a modern "Tensor" type rubber? Don't see any Tensor markings, but that doesn't mean it isn't, of course.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2018, 04:30 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
iskandar taib wrote:
So you never tried the booster on the Reflectoid? I was wondering how that would work.

The 729 Super FX with large pores has actually been around for about 3 years, despite what Igor says (Eacheng started selling it very soon after I started paying again and posting here). I bought a pair of sheets (max sponge) back then, I felt it was very bouncy (pushes tended to pop up more than anything). I felt it lacked control, I even tried it Seamooned, didn't improve it. But in 1.5mm or 1mm it might've been OK for chopping. I still have a sheet left, maybe I should try it on a M8, it being slower than the N11 I was using at the time. Maybe that might tame it. I suspect this isn't an official 729/Friendship product, it's something that sneaked out the back door of the factory. It's certainly not sold in any sort of retail packaging. The sponge may or may not be 729's - might've been an experimental batch, or it might be something they use on some other more expensive rubber (maybe Battle). It sort of resembles the sponge that comes with KTL's Green Dragon, though the color is different (but that's a really slow rubber). Initially it was only available in Max, now it's available in thinner sponge.

Iskandar

No.... I am resistant to boosting.... don't know why. I am curious, but $ prevents me from doing too much experimentation.

As for the 729, it's strangely good on the BH. Kind of dampening and very spinny. It feels like Victas V>401 when chopping, has a snap to it, and the feeling of taking pace off the ball, but not really "fast" exactly. (Braking effect?)

I like it. It's now on the BH side of my double inverted defensive setup.

Funny, the original purpose of this thread was for me to find a FH rubber for a classic D setup.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2018, 14:55 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

If you're curious but don't want to spend much money try Wendy's:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WENDY-SPORT-TA ... 1221773811

$11.50 a bottle, postage included. Yes, it does work.

I am interested in seeing if a 1mm sponge Tensor-type rubber really would make sense. Just out of curiosity, mind you.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2018, 00:07 

FYI, the 729 large pore is now available in 1mm, so I just ordered it. This is what I am looking for in theory. I may try to boost it.

My theory is that there is braking effect and spin control based on the ball bottoming out on chops (an expected bottoming out). However, there is still speed (speed and braking effect not being mutually exclusive) for forward strokes and on chops the faster sponge makes it so one doesn't need to chop forward quite so much. Dtecs being a tensor, speed-wise, I actually like. I don't use it because it was just too slippery for my liking, and I didn't like the resulting throw. But what's nice is, you can just concentrate on the chop, and worry a little less about generating depth. In fact, all you have to think about is dampening the shot with a looser grip if the guy power loops. it can be done even on very fast blades like the JSH (as evidenced by JSH, and Eric Li a local kid out here about 2100).

The taller pipped tensors have a feeling of dwell, cushioning, and there is great room for error with regard to dealing with the spin. The speed is what you have to account for more. I like that trade off. This is why I suspect Jo Parker and Satoshi Aida like chopping with tensor-like rubbers. The speed and spin is good, but the dwell gives them some wiggle room with regards to spin. The speed of course, is something you have to account for but this affords more attacking possibilities at various distances from the table.

Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2018, 09:37 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Armstrong SH-I 1.8
BH: S&T Hellfire X OX
Japsican wrote:
Dtecs being a tensor, speed-wise, I actually like. I don't use it because it was just too slippery for my liking, and I didn't like the resulting throw. But what's nice is, you can just concentrate on the chop, and worry a little less about generating depth. In fact, all you have to think about is dampening the shot with a looser grip.

I wonder if Feint AG would be more to your liking. 1.1mm is the thinnest I think.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2018, 01:06 
Super User

Blade: SOULSPIN DEFENSE
FH: Spinny stuff
BH: Spongeless reviled stuff
Nittaku revspin goes down to 1.2mm sponge. It's probably rh closest ive seen to what you're after.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2018, 03:43 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Japsican wrote:
Dtecs being a tensor, speed-wise, I actually like. I don't use it because it was just too slippery for my liking, and I didn't like the resulting throw. But what's nice is, you can just concentrate on the chop, and worry a little less about generating depth. In fact, all you have to think about is dampening the shot with a looser grip.

Is Dtecs (and, for that matter, Rasant Chaos) technically a Tensor? Since Tibhar sells it they might not use the Tensor logo even if it's made by ESN. I also looked at Rasant Chaos, no Tensor or BIOS logos on that, either - and it'd be weird to have a Tensor you can get without sponge, if you think about it..

Iskandar

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2018, 04:23 

iskandar taib wrote:
Japsican wrote:

Is Dtecs (and, for that matter, Rasant Chaos) technically a Tensor? Since Tibhar sells it they might not use the Tensor logo even if it's made by ESN. I also looked at Rasant Chaos, no Tensor or BIOS logos on that, either - and it'd be weird to have a Tensor you can get without sponge, if you think about it..

Iskandar

I believe so... although i wonder if there is technically even such a thing as "Tensor." To me, it's all just fast rubber/sponge combo. I don't care about whether it is tensor so much as the output of speed and catapult. I mean, tenergy is not a "Tensor" so who knows if there is the supposed stretching of the topsheet. The sponge is "spring sponge" aka fast enough.

So, in that sense, I do believe it's a "tensor" aka "faster" than classic rubbers.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2018, 13:04 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Strictly speaking, "Tensor(tm)" is a brand name that belongs to ESN. So a Tensor is a Tensor if ESN makes it and SAYS it is a Tensor. What they mean by Tensor seems to be rubbers that have some of the properties of the old speed glued rubbers, which would imply a sponge is involved. Of course, lots of other companies make rubber of this type (or they claim to). There's a long thread about this, with a nice introduction, too. Not all rubber of this type is fast, Rakza 7 and Barracuda are supposedly fairly slow. I suppose "modern rubber" is as good a term as any.. :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2018, 04:15 

iskandar taib wrote:
Strictly speaking, "Tensor(tm)" is a brand name that belongs to ESN. So a Tensor is a Tensor if ESN makes it and SAYS it is a Tensor. What they mean by Tensor seems to be rubbers that have some of the properties of the old speed glued rubbers, which would imply a sponge is involved. Of course, lots of other companies make rubber of this type (or they claim to). There's a long thread about this, with a nice introduction, too. Not all rubber of this type is fast, Rakza 7 and Barracuda are supposedly fairly slow. I suppose "modern rubber" is as good a term as any.. :lol:

Iskandar

Right, I get that Tensor is a trademarked term by ESN. I just mean, I don't know if there is anything actually to it. Like, if they are actually stretching the top sheet, or the sponge is special or both, lots of "whatevers." I used the term to point out that I mean "modern rubber" as stated.

I've seen the thread you speak of, and in the end, it doesn't matter. All that matters are, is it fast, does it have catapult, how non-linear is it, how spinny is it. Tensors, Spring Sponge, Large Pore, High Tension, I suspect that (trademarks aside) this is all just a Zeus and Odin's Jupiter, if you catch my drift. It's really just about the sponge and the catapult it gives.

FWIW, if I add a kawa sponge to Dornenglanz, it feels like all of the ESN pips with sponge.

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2018, 22:24 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tsp Black Balsa 3.0
FH: t05 1.9 boosted
BH: 388d ox black
Joola Tango def was the one that worked ,1.2 sponge was used by some quality veteran defenders I know in higher divisions,one bought up a load of sheets before it was discontinued and last time I saw him he was fretting as his stock was almost gone
Joola should bring it back or an alternative I think there is a demand still.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2018, 17:10 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I don't think they physically stretch the sponge or topsheet, if they did you'd get a dome. At least part of the secret, I think, is chemical. Like the old speed glue or modern boosters. Which is why they go "dead" after a few weeks.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2018, 12:41 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I guess the issue here is that can long pips (especially OX long pips) be Tensor-type rubbers at all? Did anyone ever speed-glue the things back in the day, do the properties imparted by speed glue or booster even apply to long pips? From what I understand when you speed glue or apply booster, it makes the rubber better for looping (which you don't usually do with long pips, especially OX long pips..).. Aren't the LAST thing you want with long pips be extra speed and spin?

Will have to have a look at the Rasant Chaos packaging to see if there is a Tensor logo or not..

Iskandar

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2018, 01:50 

iskandar taib wrote:
I don't think they physically stretch the sponge or topsheet, if they did you'd get a dome. At least part of the secret, I think, is chemical. Like the old speed glue or modern boosters. Which is why they go "dead" after a few weeks.

Iskandar

Right...and that's a nice way to make the product have a guaranteed expiration date, and make it more "consumable"...aka more sales.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2018, 01:54 

iskandar taib wrote:
I guess the issue here is that can long pips (especially OX long pips) be Tensor-type rubbers at all? Did anyone ever speed-glue the things back in the day, do the properties imparted by speed glue or booster even apply to long pips? From what I understand when you speed glue or apply booster, it makes the rubber better for looping (which you don't usually do with long pips, especially OX long pips..).. Aren't the LAST thing you want with long pips be extra speed and spin?

Will have to have a look at the Rasant Chaos packaging to see if there is a Tensor logo or not..

Iskandar

I think it depends on the person. Some like slow, some don't. Some hit with their pips... some like not having to come forward on their chop stroke to generate pace. Same reasons...faster is less effort to generate speed or distance. And it depends on the blade speed.

For example, when i chop with Feint Long 3 on a defplay, it takes so much effort to get the ball back on the table at distance, I start to get arm pain and shoulder pain unless my body rotation is on point. Same technical things as looping, but the stroke is going toward the floor instead of going toward the ceiling.

I have gotten to the point to where I actually prefer chopping with faster rubbers, pips or inverted. I still like the control of thinner sponge tho. Damn double edged swords!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next