OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 07:18

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: New Gambler Rubber
PostPosted: 06 Nov 2016, 04:30 

I see that Zeropong has just introduced two new rubbers by Gambler. Any info on them would be appreciated. Intro price is $11 dollars, so that is hard to beat.

http://www.zeropong.com/index.php?main_ ... cts_id=366

http://www.zeropong.com/index.php?main_ ... cts_id=367

Post subject: Re: New Gambler Rubber
PostPosted: 06 Nov 2016, 05:28 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
They appear to both have exactly the same description!

185g

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2016, 05:39 
Super User

You can read the different descriptions by clicking on the images.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2016, 18:05 
Chinese Forum Spy

Oh wow! Someone that understands the need for cheap, light rubbers for boosting!

I wonder how they play :)

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2016, 19:39 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Interesting. This is more up my street.. :lol:

http://www.zeropong.com/index.php?main_ ... cts_id=351

Problem is it's in the US - shipping overseas is the killer. Otherwise, just USD6 a sheet!

They also have an inexpensive carbon/arylate blade:

http://www.zeropong.com/index.php?main_ ... cts_id=163

Iskandar

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2016, 04:40 

Hello OOAK'ers,

Sorry it took me so long to see this, we have been busy.
The new Competitor Sevens and Aces are the base formula for all the new Gambler rubbers for 2017. The other rubbers you see on the list will be variations of tackiness (more or less), sponge hardness, and pip geometry.
These are by far the highest quality, lightest weight, most durable, and best, "weight to power ratio" I have ever carried, or for that matter have ever seen come out of a NON ESN factory.
The soft sponge is shockingly powerful tuned, un-tuned the product is great but slightly more tame.
The better players (2000ish) that have tested it all ended up tuning it and 2 out of 3 of them will be using it in Vegas, this speaks volumes as I assumed at this level they would need the Big Gun that will have a more powerful sponge and pip orientation.
Durability is good, for example one of the testers would destroy Battle1 in about 15 min, they are on week 3 with only one very typical scuff on the edge from a miss hit.
These first 2 Competitor series are soft, they feel soft and play soft, later offerings Burst and Big Gun will have a firmer more powerful sponge.

I will have demo in Vegas,

Have a good one

Tom

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2016, 09:02 

Blade: Gionnis carb def
FH: H3-50
BH: Talon
Tom,

Sounds interesting. Will burst and big gun be more like Chinese style rubber with the harder sponge? Can you give a comparison? I used to use H3, but have moved to tg2, is there a Rubber you're making that is similar? Also if you are making this for self tuning will you be selling tuners?

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2016, 13:38 
Chinese Forum Spy

zeropong wrote:
These are by far the highest quality, lightest weight, most durable, and best, "weight to power ratio" I have ever carried, or for that matter have ever seen come out of a NON ESN factory.
The soft sponge is shockingly powerful tuned, un-tuned the product is great but slightly more tame.
The better players (2000ish) that have tested it all ended up tuning it and 2 out of 3 of them will be using it in Vegas, this speaks volumes as I assumed at this level they would need the Big Gun that will have a more powerful sponge and pip orientation.
Durability is good, for example one of the testers would destroy Battle1 in about 15 min, they are on week 3 with only one very typical scuff on the edge from a miss hit.
These first 2 Competitor series are soft, they feel soft and play soft, later offerings Burst and Big Gun will have a firmer more powerful sponge.

Hey Tom,
was wondering if any of the stronger players enjoyed the offerings on the BH?

Cheers,
Geko

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2016, 16:40 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

zeropong wrote:

Would you include Butterfly in this assessment? :lol:

Quote:

My goodness.. he must hit the ball really hard to be able to destroy Battle I. Does the topsheet delaminate? I don't think I'd have this problem, can't remember destroying any sheets just by playing.

I'd send off for some of this stuff (actually more interested in the Kevlar blade and the bulk rubber) if shipping didn't cost so much from the US. There's so much I want to buy (mainly books from Amazon) but shipping's really expensive. What I might do in the next six months or so is get a friend to put a bunch of stuff together and mail it in one bundle. I tried a freight aggregator - it worked but I don't think I saved any money at all. And I found that some vendors (McMaster Carr especially, but also people who sell carbon fiber cloth and resins) are paranoid about freight aggregators - they now refuse to sell ANYTHING to anyone overseas. Afraid we'd use it to make bombs or something. Weird.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2016, 22:44 

Would you include Butterfly in this assessment? :lol:

I intentionally did not include butterfly due to weight, while top notch, high performance, excellent rubbers, the weight to power ratio is not in the same league as ESN rubbers, I am not flaming butterfly they are the top brand IMO, just I have found if I make a rubber in the Tenergy weight category it's a hard sell.

And someone mentioned the shredding of battle1, yes in 15min the pips under the top sheet look like the went into a food processor, In battle1's defense he does the same thing to Outlaw classic, the formulas are very similar.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2016, 23:12 
Super User

Yes, lighter than the hardest ESN but heavy-duty like Skyline 2, SuperFX and Geospin Tacky (all unboosted) is what I like.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2016, 23:17 

Ehimle wrote:
Tom,

Sounds interesting. Will burst and big gun be more like Chinese style rubber with the harder sponge? Can you give a comparison? I used to use H3, but have moved to tg2, is there a Rubber you're making that is similar? Also if you are making this for self tuning will you be selling tuners?

Burst and Big Gun will have the same sponge, a true medium hardness sponge, and these really don't play like anything we have in our lineup, but Big Gun will have a light tack just like the Sevens Competitor and Burst will have a heavy tack. It is a simple assumption that an over the table looper would prefer the max tack of burst, while Big Gun will play both mid and close but excel at mid.

We cannot sell tuners under the Gambler brand, and Gambler cannot endorse the use of tuners, the observation of "tune-ability" exists on the Zeropong site, a separate entity from Gambler. :*:

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2016, 04:19 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Just ordered the RED Sevens. I'll give a review from a chopper's perspective.

I wonder if the red is see-through or opaque like jap/euro rubbers.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2016, 23:11 

Japsican wrote:

Did you ordered the Sevens Mechanical Pro or Sevens Pro Competitor?

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2016, 02:31 

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
dralionux wrote:
Japsican wrote:

Did you ordered the Sevens Mechanical Pro or Sevens Pro Competitor?

Sevens Pro Competitor.

Thanks for reminding me of this...
My review after using for 2 weeks of use back in November:

Good speed, but it felt like it had very low throw. The speed felt about on par with Vega Europe, and it flat hit well. But looping took too much effort due to the throw.
It chopped well, but I didn't feel like I was generating much spin with it. I had a few other folks try it out, 1 defender and 1 attacker and they all agreed with the lack of spin. Even when fishing, there was little arc, but this was doable. As a chopper, I resorted to chopping and fishing only...which is my norm...however I do attack sometimes. And when I did attack....I couldn't make sense of the low throw. Far too many nets and I just couldn't adjust.

Serves...not spinny enough for me.

Also blocked low, and this is coming from someone who chops and blocks well with Reflectoid 1.0mm.

On push to push rallies, using the same blade angle as my opponent, we noticed my pushes would cause his to pop up, much like SP or even grippy LPs do. This indicated far less grip than his Xiom Omega Asia.

Probably a good backhand rubber for an attacker or blocker, not for me and my mechanics, a 1600 level chopper.

I tried it on 2 blades, a defplay senso and a VKM.

Very sensitive to humidity, which made it even harder for me to play. Back to my normal rubbers: Omega IV Asia and Reflectoid 1.0mm.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions