OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 14:29

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Tensors that go 'Click'
PostPosted: 15 Nov 2016, 21:14 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Donic Baracuda Big Slam
BH: Victas Triple Regular
My sheet of Victas V01 Limber has a nice click sound to it when you hit a good loop. My sheet of Baracuda does not. I like the click.

What other tensors have this sound or is it unique to the Victas?

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2016, 22:46 
I am Legend
I am Legend

The older tensors with the softer topsheet. Not sure what is still available.

I think it was more of a function of a soft topsheet than tensors in particular. Darker Provine clicks, but isn't a tensor or particularly fast.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2016, 11:06 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victax VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
Palio Macro Era was a clicker. Many of the softest in a series of inverted rubbers with names that include "Sound" tend to click loudly when hit hard. Xiom Omega IV Elite is one such rubber.. my personal favorite.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2016, 11:47 
I am Legend
I am Legend

I do miss tango/tango extrem clicky.

I don't miss the crumbly and bubbly topsheets though.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2016, 13:29 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Donic Baracuda Big Slam
BH: Victas Triple Regular
Thats great guys, its what I'm after, some names of 'Clickers' to consider.

Silver, interesting what you say about the older ones tend to click but newer ones don't. From my personal experience, my older Baracuda didn't click and nor does Hexer, but the newer Victas V01 does. Not saying you are wrong as you would know better than me but just interesting.

At the end of the day it really doesn't matter if it does or doesn't but using the Victas again the other day made me feel good when it made the sound as I felt like I'd hit a good shot. Confidence boost.

Nathanso, is the click unique to the Omega IV Elite from the Xiom range of rubbers or do they all tend to have a similar sound?

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2016, 13:51 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

nathanso wrote:
Palio Macro Era was a clicker. Many of the softest in a series of inverted rubbers with names that include "Sound" tend to click loudly when hit hard. Xiom Omega IV Elite is one such rubber.. my personal favorite.

What about Palio Macro Pro? I do have a sheet of that, but whether or not it clicks - I have NO IDEA what this clicking is supposed to sound like! I do hear a "click" sound (more of a "thwack") whenever I hit the ball hard with ANY rubber (I don't think this is what is meant, though), and NO sound when I brush loop.

Aren't all those rubbers with the word "Sound" (and distant synonyms, puns and related words thereof) in their names (e.g. Calibra LT Sound, Rasant Beat, 5Q Sound, Genius Sound, Tibhar Aurus, Aurus Sound (double whammy here), Sinus Sound (a.k.a. Sniff :lol: ), Gewo Reflex Sound, Desto F3 Big Slam, Joola Xplode, maybe even Joola Samba, Andro Hexer, Stiga Mantra, Gewo Hype, Rhyzm, Donic Spike... )... aren't these all being sold as rubbers that produce lots of "sound" (presumably clicking) when used?

Iskandar

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2016, 14:02 
I am Legend
I am Legend

Current stuff make a thwack rather than a high pitched click.
Tensors lost their click around the time the thick topsheet stuff (tensor bios) appeared.

Go on a youtube journey back to the glue era, particularly the early 00's

Schlager and his bryce always made nice click sounds.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2016, 14:26 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

For the life of me (when I watch that video) I can't tell what's special about the sound when Schlager hits the ball. OK, it's a high pitched "whack" sound, but Wang Liqin's bat makes it as well. The harder the ball is hit the louder it is, which is what you'd expect. And allowing that different blades would sound different, and different mikes would affect the sound being recorded, I don't hear anything I wouldn't expect to hear in ANY match.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2016, 14:44 
I am Legend
I am Legend

I guess you had to be there (speed glue days) :lol:

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2016, 14:45 
Super User

Blade: OSP Ultimate II
FH: Xiom Ω VII Asia Max
BH: Xiom Ω VII Asia Max
Xiom Omega V Asia has a click sound when drive looping but little sound when brush looping.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2016, 15:28 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I "WAS there" (actually USED speed glue - and I'm not talking about the relatively tame "Low VOC" stuff like Haifu Whale II either). And I did get to see some fairly high level players play - there was a German player who showed up for a few months who was rated around 2200-2300. But I didn't notice anything unusual about the sound of anything at the time, nor was it ever mentioned when we discussed gluing on Usenet that I recall. When you hit the ball with the racket you expect it to make a thwack or a click or a thump, after all. Now, if the rubber had emitted a loud shriek or something of the sort that wasn't supposed to happen, I definitely would have noticed that...

Iskandar

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2016, 18:05 

Cobalt wrote:

Silver, interesting what you say about the older ones tend to click but newer ones don't. From my personal experience, my older Baracuda didn't click and nor does Hexer, but the newer Victas V01 does. Not saying you are wrong as you would know better than me but just interesting.

I think Silver means the first few generation Tensor rubbers - from before Baracuda - which click more. E.g. Desto F3, Nimbus sound?

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2016, 19:44 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
If I could find a rubber with that "click", I'd use it - regardless of how good it is.

The click on that WLQ vs. Schlager video is exactly the noise I want my rubber to make.

I think the blade defines what "clicks" and what doesn't too as I really struggle to get any kind of noise other than a "thwack" on my JSH but I've used a Maze with boosted LT Sound that had a very nice "click".

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2016, 20:30 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Harder blades click more. Also the softer the sponge (of those rubber that click) the more click you get. The Donic Big Slam rubbers do it too, that's what the Big Slam refers to.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2016, 20:31 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Went and watched it again. And again I can't tell the difference between the sound Schlager's racket makes vs. the sound Wang Liqin's racket makes. They both "click" at high pitch, and how loud depends on how hard they hit the ball.

Talk about annoying commentators, too... :lol:

Iskandar

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!