OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:40

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: 27 Dec 2016, 11:08 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
I think the logic of that has some merit. Lower level reviews are not without value. The needs of a 1200 level player are different from a 1500 and a 1800, etc.

Still, the level should be made clear so readers know what the words are relative to so a 2500 level looper isn't getting equipment advice from a 1000 level penhold push blocker.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2016, 19:09 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
Japsican wrote:
I think the logic of that has some merit. Lower level reviews are not without value. The needs of a 1200 level player are different from a 1500 and a 1800, etc.

Still, the level should be made clear so readers know what the words are relative to so a 2500 level looper isn't getting equipment advice from a 1000 level penhold push blocker.

Should we all ad an estimated USATT ranking level to our signature? Like they have at Noppentest...

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2016, 23:30 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
Def-attack wrote:
Japsican wrote:

Should we all ad an estimated USATT ranking level to our signature? Like they have at Noppentest...

That would be nice - the only challenge is coming up with one for folks outside US (we did have a dedicated thread for this, though...).

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2016, 08:16 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

I had a short go with YRD today. I changed it after 15 minutes. Not for me. Way too low throw and too little grip on the top sheet. Also too hard. I guess if tuned it would be nice but I wanted a real sticky top sheet. I put on an old Hurricane 8 that was bolsted with Falco long almost a year ago. No boosting left but sponge and top sheet is a little softer than non bolsted version. I kept it for the whole session but I am not sure where to go now. Nice with tacky for short game, serves, brush looping... But it feels a little dead... but for my game, where it is now, I guess it is the best.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2016, 18:24 
Super User

Blade: DHS PowerG-9 OFF++
FH: Yasaka Rakza X
BH: Palio Thor
Def-attack can I know what blade you tried YRD out on ? Stiga Carbonado ?

Good to know that DHS H8 can be boosted :-) I had some bad experience boosting DHS H3-50 Mid-Hard and Skyline3-60 Mid-Hard. It doesn't work and sponge becomes very mushy :P After the boost wears off though both the sheets perform very very well. I haven't tried boosting YRD, but I do have an old sheet of Xiom Omega V Tour MAX - red ( it has the black carbo-sponge which is similar to YRD ).

Has anyone boosted XOVT ? Any comments on the effect / reaction to various boosters ?

1. FH/BH-YRakza9/XOmegaVT
    2. FH/BH-TSP Spectol/Yinhe Qing OX
  • 729 Bomb C-P : FH/BH-DHS H2 Orig/DHS H3 Orig
  • TSP Versal :
    1. FH/BH-XOmegaVA/YJupiter-II
    2. FH/BH-*blank*
Fun blades:
  • Yasaka Battle Balsa(ST) : FH/BH- DHS TG2Neo/Gewo HypeXT 47
  • Dr. Neubauer
    High Technology
    Cypress-Carbon(ST)
    ***************************** : FH/BH-YRakza7/YRakza7
==========================================================

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2016, 19:22 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

man_iii wrote:
Def-attack can I know what blade you tried YRD out on ? Stiga Carbonado ?

Good to know that DHS H8 can be boosted :-) I had some bad experience boosting DHS H3-50 Mid-Hard and Skyline3-60 Mid-Hard. It doesn't work and sponge becomes very mushy :P After the boost wears off though both the sheets perform very very well. I haven't tried boosting YRD, but I do have an old sheet of Xiom Omega V Tour MAX - red ( it has the black carbo-sponge which is similar to YRD ).

Has anyone boosted XOVT ? Any comments on the effect / reaction to various boosters ?

Yes, Carbonado 190.
Yes, H8 responds well to boosting.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2016, 20:48 
Super User

Blade: AfroBro Custom
FH: Rasanter R53
BH: Vega X
Def-attack wrote:
I wanted a real sticky top sheet

And herein lies the rub. Most hybrids try to fit into a middle ground between chinese and euro properties. A mix of tacky and mechanical grip, but lower tack than traditional chinese rubbers. Or a softer, porous sponge with a more elastic topsheet to mimic a boosted feel. So if you are a player who relies on heavy tack, or a rock-hard sponge, you might be disappointed.

That said, there is some variation in the hybrid market. Target National is one of the tackier ones (the black sheets I had were tackier than Rising Dragon), and Hybrid K1 Plus has quite the hard sponge. But still - each player has their own requirements, and sometimes they don't even know what properties they are relying on until they try something different.

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2016, 02:15 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
good one Andy!

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2016, 02:36 
Super User

Blade: DMS Revolution
FH: XIOM Vega China max
BH: DrN ABS fAnti max
PRW wrote:
haha - I just bought a sheet... as well as a used Sanwei Target National (thanks Matt P.) Will report back!

have you tried Sanwei Target National yet? Can you compare it with H3N?

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2017, 04:45 

leatherback wrote:
rokphish2 wrote:
Okay, thanks!

Oh, by the way, there's a new(er) one, Shining Dragon. Have you tried it or will you in the near future?

Shining dragon is apparently softer, if it gets much softer it will move away from the similarities to a Chinese rubber....

I just ordered 3 sheets so that will last me about 6 months and I may give shining dragon a try then!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

I played both with Black topsheet: Shining Dragon is much harder than Rising Dragon, not softer.
Rising Dragon is fast and has a high throw.
Shining Dragon is very tacky, slower and has a lower throw. It is more than a classic chinese rubber, but faster.

With red topsheet I only played Shining Dragon, very tacky and very soft!!

Last edited by haushamerschuah on 06 Jan 2017, 23:13, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2017, 05:48 
Call me Shrek!
Call me Shrek!

Blade: Dr Neubauer High Tec Plus
FH: Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: Tibhar Hybrid K3
111Iceman111 wrote:
PRW wrote:
haha - I just bought a sheet... as well as a used Sanwei Target National (thanks Matt P.) Will report back!

I tried out the STN for a day or two, and was impressed. I then changed to the YSD, and was not impressed, then fairly impressed, and then not so impressed! On serves and short game, and full loops, it works very well for me - but when I am caught having to improvise a shot , I find the shot just dies on me - because I am so used to having the soft sponge of the 05fx being able to hold the ball for long enough to create a shot. Not the rubber's fault, just a factor of the way I play.

I will put the STN back on. Blade is Timo Bill ZLC. Will let you know!

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2017, 02:29 
Call me Shrek!
Call me Shrek!

PRW wrote:
111Iceman111 wrote:
PRW wrote:

I tried out the STN for a day or two, and was impressed. I then changed to the YSD, and was not impressed, then fairly impressed, and then not so impressed! On serves and short game, and full loops, it works very well for me - but when I am caught having to improvise a shot , I find the shot just dies on me - because I am so used to having the soft sponge of the 05fx being able to hold the ball for long enough to create a shot. Not the rubber's fault, just a factor of the way I play.

I will put the STN back on. Blade is Timo Bill ZLC. Will let you know!

ok, I put the STN back on last night. Again, I was impressed with this rubber. At the moment, I am playing with 05FX max on the forehand - so the immediate difference is the STN has shorter, very spinny serves, easier drop shots, and very crisp flicks. It doesn't have the ultimate power of the 05FX loop through (for me).

Compared to H3 Neo (not National - I haven't tried National), STN is slightly spinnier (has slightly more tack), definitely faster, and good control - doesn't seem to "drop off" as much when blocking. If I was to use a rubber other than Tenergy/ Yasaka Rakza/ comparable tensor, I would look very seriously at this.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2017, 07:20 
Super User

Blade: DMS Revolution
FH: XIOM Vega China max
BH: DrN ABS fAnti max
hm, STN sounds promising for a substitute of H3N then... :up:

i will definitely have to get one to see for myself...from where did you get yours?

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2017, 08:02 
Call me Shrek!
Call me Shrek!

111Iceman111 wrote:
hm, STN sounds promising for a substitute of H3N then... :up:

i will definitely have to get one to see for myself...from where did you get yours?

I bought it from Matt Pimple, as per this thread... viewtopic.php?f=10&t=29947&hilit=sanwei+target#p318400

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2017, 23:32 
Super User

Blade: DHS PowerG-9 OFF++
FH: Yasaka Rakza X
BH: Palio Thor
I have some strange news to report. I cleaned up YRD both Black and Red with water along with the non-sticky sheets. I was in a hurry and dint wait for the rubber or sheet to dry fully and just stuck it and left it for a week.

Today I took off the protector sheets it was like a vacuum had formed ! Extremely difficult to take off the foils. No water to be found anywhere.

:punch: YRD both sides is now picking up the ball for 2+ seconds !!! That is medium tacky in my book!

What the Hell happened ??? can someone explain pls ??? :lol: :devil: Is water the MAGIC formula to add tackiness to rubbers ???? Placed in a sealed and dry environment causes rubbers to become super tacky by the time they completely dry ???? :o :rofl:

1. FH/BH-YRakza9/XOmegaVT
    2. FH/BH-TSP Spectol/Yinhe Qing OX
  • 729 Bomb C-P : FH/BH-DHS H2 Orig/DHS H3 Orig
  • TSP Versal :
    1. FH/BH-XOmegaVA/YJupiter-II
    2. FH/BH-*blank*
Fun blades:
  • Yasaka Battle Balsa(ST) : FH/BH- DHS TG2Neo/Gewo HypeXT 47
  • Dr. Neubauer
    High Technology
    Cypress-Carbon(ST)
    ***************************** : FH/BH-YRakza7/YRakza7
==========================================================

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next