OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 13:03

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Nexy Karis review
PostPosted: 29 Mar 2017, 22:44 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

darucla wrote:
I have the two sheets of 2.2 mm M from AndySmith. I have only used them for an hour or so at my club (I had to go back to my HL3 with H8 and MX-P for the serious business of top table: I finished the evening on the top table, but I'm really a good recreational player at the moment, not a pro by any stretch), and have one sheet on a PG-7 with Xiom Vega Europe DF and the other on a DHS Fang Bo 2 with Tibhar EL-S.

The major initial impression was how different these two sheets are to each other. The red sheet has a similar feel to a non-glue effect Japanese rubber, whereas the black reacts almost like a tensor. I do find this quite worrying.

In terms of play, I really am looking for something to replace H8, because of the tendency of that rubber to gather dust, but I'm not convinced Karis can do that job. However, I do need some more structured experience with it. The linearity (of the red sheet) is similar, but I felt it lacked some of the solidity and spin potential of H8, without offering a lot in exchange. The black sheet on the Fang Bo 2 caught me out a little with its rebound, although I could easily get used to that. At the moment, I can get H8 from China for about £21, or Karis from England at £37.

We'll see.

It's odd that you found so much difference between red and black. Has not been the case for the sheets I've had.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2017, 03:30 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Matsushita Pro
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Dawei 388D-1
Andy also commented on this (the same sheets obviously), and so did my coach. It's not a small difference.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2017, 04:57 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

darucla wrote:
Andy also commented on this (the same sheets obviously), and so did my coach. It's not a small difference.

I remember that. I think he also noted a really large weight difference between the two sheets, which really ought not to happen. It again makes me wonder if they have some QC issues.

One other guy at MyTT is pretty certain that he received two sheets of M instead of one each of M and M+. (The difference between M and M+ is immediately obvious to nearly everybody who has used them, but fatt could discern no difference at all, and he is enough of an EJ that he certainly should have if he had actually received the two different rubbers). One stupid thing they did is that there is no way to tell from the rubber itself which one you got (no marking on the rubber, only on the package). So if they put the wrong rubber in the package, who knows? This might be an easy mistake to make at the factory? So again, all this speaks to some concerns about consistency of the product.

I have bought two pairs of Karis M in red and black and didn't notice any real difference between red and black -- not any more than other rubbers I have used -- but that is a pretty small sample size. I will keep an eye on it in the future. It will be a while before I know any more, since the stuff seems to last a long time.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2017, 06:13 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Matsushita Pro
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Dawei 388D-1
This was my thought initially as well, that one of them may actually be the M+.

Anyway, I shall be trying them out again, both on the PG 7, for several hours over the next two days. I don't really want to mess about with my main blade at the moment, and the PG 7 has several characteristics in common with the HL3, but is less off++. more off-ish.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2017, 15:59 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
Baal wrote:
darucla wrote:

I remember that. I think he also noted a really large weight difference between the two sheets, which really ought not to happen. It again makes me wonder if they have some QC issues.

One other guy at MyTT is pretty certain that he received two sheets of M instead of one each of M and M+. (The difference between M and M+ is immediately obvious to nearly everybody who has used them, but fatt could discern no difference at all, and he is enough of an EJ that he certainly should have if he had actually received the two different rubbers). One stupid thing they did is that there is no way to tell from the rubber itself which one you got (no marking on the rubber, only on the package). So if they put the wrong rubber in the package, who knows? This might be an easy mistake to make at the factory? So again, all this speaks to some concerns about consistency of the product.

I have bought two pairs of Karis M in red and black and didn't notice any real difference between red and black -- not any more than other rubbers I have used -- but that is a pretty small sample size. I will keep an eye on it in the future. It will be a while before I know any more, since the stuff seems to last a long time.

I keep getting asked about difference between red and black. I cannot really tell, but all this talk about Black being the BOSS has made it hard to keep Black in stock. I got the last two sheets Nexy Korea had in 2.0 and they are already committed for sale. Black seems to hold mystical properties I cannot describe or identify. I have a Red M+ prototype on my ALL to ALL+ Lissom blade and I hit harder with M+ Red on the slower Lissom than I do with Black M on my Kim Jung Hoon 7 ply. Both rubbers are absolute BOSS of handling incoming topspin makes you want to loop the loop and play big boy. Your shot isn't 130 level spin, but it is heavy and pace/placement/control is enough to pressure opponent in a topspin to topspin rally away from table.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2017, 18:36 
Super User

Blade: AfroBro Custom
FH: Rasanter R53
BH: Vega X
I don't think this is the traditional "red and black feel different" thing. The QC on sponge hardness is just surprisingly poor considering the price of the rubber.

The test rubbers I had were a red M, and a black M+. When I used them, things made sense - the M+ had an obviously harder sponge, same topsheet. All good.

Then I bought a further red M and black M. The black M was basically the same sponge hardness as the test red M mentioned above (which darucla doesn't have - the test rubbers have gone to so_devo), maybe a tiny bit softer. But the red M darucla has is quite a lot harder than the test red M. It's noticeable in play but didn't bother me much because I was using both red rubbers on the BH of a slow-ish blade, and wasn't using either of the black rubbers at the time.

I can tell the difference but don't mind, but I can totally understand why someone else would be bothered by it. And perhaps I don't mind so much because I've only purchased 2 rubbers rather than 4.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2017, 20:54 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
AndySmith wrote:
I don't think this is the traditional "red and black feel different" thing. The QC on sponge hardness is just surprisingly poor considering the price of the rubber.

The test rubbers I had were a red M, and a black M+. When I used them, things made sense - the M+ had an obviously harder sponge, same topsheet. All good.

Then I bought a further red M and black M. The black M was basically the same sponge hardness as the test red M mentioned above (which darucla doesn't have - the test rubbers have gone to so_devo), maybe a tiny bit softer. But the red M darucla has is quite a lot harder than the test red M. It's noticeable in play but didn't bother me much because I was using both red rubbers on the BH of a slow-ish blade, and wasn't using either of the black rubbers at the time.

I can tell the difference but don't mind, but I can totally understand why someone else would be bothered by it. And perhaps I don't mind so much because I've only purchased 2 rubbers rather than 4.

I'd concur that there is a clear difference in the hardness of the rubbers Andy has kindly sent me - the red M plays very soft indeed. That is 'just' a 2mm though. Another session or two and I'll be ready to post some thoughts. I would like to try them on a different [faster] blade too.

LordCope and PGPG are visiting me for a game next week, so I will also offer them a test opportunity (on my blade or theirs)

185g

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2017, 22:12 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
so_devo wrote:
AndySmith wrote:

I'd concur that there is a clear difference in the hardness of the rubbers Andy has kindly sent me - the red M plays very soft indeed. That is 'just' a 2mm though. Another session or two and I'll be ready to post some thoughts. I would like to try them on a different [faster] blade too.

LordCope and PGPG are visiting me for a game next week, so I will also offer them a test opportunity (on my blade or theirs)

I'll try it on yours :)

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2017, 01:44 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Der_Echte wrote:
I keep getting asked about difference between red and black. I cannot really tell, but all this talk about Black being the BOSS has made it hard to keep Black in stock. I got the last two sheets Nexy Korea had in 2.0 and they are already committed for sale. Black seems to hold mystical properties I cannot describe or identify. I have a Red M+ prototype on my ALL to ALL+ Lissom blade and I hit harder with M+ Red on the slower Lissom than I do with Black M on my Kim Jung Hoon 7 ply. Both rubbers are absolute BOSS of handling incoming topspin makes you want to loop the loop and play big boy. Your shot isn't 130 level spin, but it is heavy and pace/placement/control is enough to pressure opponent in a topspin to topspin rally away from table.

It probably started with the Chinese. Everyone sees the Chinese pros using black on the forehand, and perhaps it's true that black H3 is better than red H3, but it doesn't necessarily extrapolate to non-Chinese rubbers.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2017, 21:38 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Incidentally, I had a look at the Karis on Hangdog's racket - the pips ARE short but they're also small-diameter and close together, plus the topsheet cap is thin. Below is KTL Super XP, it should be interesting to compare. The pips here are very short and wide, and the cap is very this also. Someone's sending me cutoff pieces to be photographed, but they haven't arrived yet, when they do I'll post photos. Meanwhile, if anyone has cut-offs of Regalis and Rasanter, or/and Stiga Mantra, I'm taking donations.. :lol: Oh yeah.. and Bryce Speed.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2017, 22:29 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
iskandar taib wrote:
Incidentally, I had a look at the Karis on Hangdog's racket - the pips ARE short but they're also small-diameter and close together, plus the topsheet cap is thin. Below is KTL Super XP, it should be interesting to compare. The pips here are very short and wide, and the cap is very this also. Someone's sending me cutoff pieces to be photographed, but they haven't arrived yet, when they do I'll post photos. Meanwhile, if anyone has cut-offs of Regalis and Rasanter, or/and Stiga Mantra, I'm taking donations.. :lol: Oh yeah.. and Bryce Speed.

Iskandar

I now have cutoffs from Karis M. Did you do that one?

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2017, 22:44 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I forget which one is coming. Are the topsheets visibly different?

Iskandar

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2017, 02:11 

Hard to say. The Karis is Red and the Regalis is black.

I will say this, they are tactilely different, in that when I breath on them and clean them with my hands the Regalis has more texture. It's rougher, and doesn't clean as easily as the Karis, which feels smoother.
The red sheet is semi-translucent as I can see pip dots through the topsheet.

One thing, the Karis had a strange line down the middle with a different hue...from something beneath the topsheet. At first, I thought it was a crease, but after really inspecting it's perfeclty flat, the line is underneath for sure.

I hit with it vs. the robot and instantly fell in love, but we all know that hitting vs. a robot is different than vs. a human. I will play with it tonight vs. my practice partner. I didnt' put it on my double inverted paddle first because I wanted to try it on the larger defensive paddle before cutting it down to the size of a standard blade face. Can't really go the other way around.

Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2017, 03:18 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
I have some more testing to do with a different blade, but am a little underwhelmed with the Karis so far. I would say the Regalis Red is far more dynamic than Karis M.

I want to test it on a Timo Boll ALC next. On the all wood xiom offensive S it is very ordinary for my playing style. I wonder if it will be good for controlling composite offensive blades.

Watch this space........

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

185g

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2017, 03:37 

Just making sure we're on the same page here, because I'm getting all of the threads mixed up..

I'm comparing to Regalis Blue (not red).

One thing I noted, was how well I felt the blade. The feedback was like a 1.5mm or 1.8mm rubber, with with the thickness of Max. I loved having the feeling, but not having the bottoming out.
Similar thoughts with Regalis Blue, but less so. Also, Karis seems harder, but I have to put them on the same blade to be sure.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next